sterling equity hedge fund

Options
Several calls from Sterling Equity wanting £5k min. to provide 12% interest in their income bond.
They have a web site with some information but................
Do I invest ?

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not unless you like being scammed.

While you have not provided proper details of the name or web site I'm going to hazard a guess it is "Sterling Equity Corporation" which I have already discussed elsewhere.

If I am right then they are already on the FSA Boiler Room Warning list (not that you should depend solely on that as the scammers change names so often).
    NEVER buy investments from a cold caller.
    NEVER buy investments from a company that is not on the FSA register.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No. Definitely a bit dodge, as they say.

For a start they're not registered with the FSA.

There's no way an above board company would cold call you and pressure you like that. Especially promising returns like that; if it sounds too good be true it usually is and all that.

Definitely avoid.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • peterjc
    Options
    sterling equity appear to be genuine hedge fund managers.
    look at their web site.
    Based off shore in Delaware - therefore not FSA approved but that's not exactly a wonderful thing to have.
    Offices in Spain, Switzerland. But no guarantees that you can get your capital back.
  • turbobob
    turbobob Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Options
    Do you think hedge funds cold call people asking them to invest with them?
  • Reaper
    Options
    All investment scammers have a web site, that doesn't make them genuine. Of course it would help if you could tell us the exact name of the company (because there are several with similar names) and the address of the web site you are refering to so we can have a look.

Based on the name and "Delaware" all I could find were some odd pages which Firefox gives me security warnings about ("Untrusted connection" and "invalid security certificate") hosted at a Spanish free internet provider called "Yakeroo". This does not exactly inspire confidence but I will keep an open mind and if you give me more details I will look into it further.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    General rule of thumb when it comes to investing. You will not go wrong if you follow and one of these:

1 - Never invest on the basis of a firm cold calling you.
    2 - Never invest if they are on the FSA warning list
    3 - Never invest if they are not FSA authorised.

1 of those is bad enough. You have all three in this case.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mjm10_2
    Options
    Had a call from them saying I had spoken to them earlier in the year, but I didn't recall this but they wanted to send me an email. Having received the email did a bit of searching not registered with FSA when they called again told them not interested but they were quite insistant but then put the phone down on me, that says it all!!!!
  • Reaper
    Options
    I have since found their web site and although it looks very pretty it is definately a scam. The Delaware address mentioned above turns out to be the same as ones used by other scams and junk mailers.

I did post fuller details on another thread but it got deleted when a scammers post was removed.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    peterjc wrote: »
    sterling equity appear to be genuine hedge fund managers.
    look at their web site.
    Based off shore in Delaware - therefore not FSA approved but that's not exactly a wonderful thing to have.
    Offices in Spain, Switzerland. But no guarantees that you can get your capital back.

Good lord.

There is simply no helping some people, is there?

OK . . if you're not prepared to listen- GO FOR IT. Invest. Now, you make sure you come back and tell us how you got on, ok?
  • purch
    purch Posts: 9,865 Forumite
    Options
    For certain posters, this is often the best advice...
    1 - Never invest.
    2 - Never invest.
    3 - Never invest.
    'In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments - there are Consequences.'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport