sterling equity hedge fund

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have any suggestions for obtaining secure investment performance better than inflation at this time.

Stick to regulated investment firms and listen to warnings is a good start.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DavidHayton
    Options
    bendix wrote: »
    Four posts in the same thread from people with the same kind of name (normansands, stewartfisher etc). All four posters are posting for the same time. All four posters have the same bizarre writing style, and all four are defending these honorable people at Sterling Equity as bonafide hedge fund managers.

Well spotted, Bendix!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,699 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 January 2011 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    Although I generally give the benefit of the doubt I think you are right that it's marketing, though it doesn't help them much when I take it apart.

I bet they hate threads like this one that come up higher than their own web site when potential investors type "Sterling Equity" and their St into Google. Bad for business.

Hi scammers :wave:

The sad thing is you can tell people over and over again about scams like this one from Sterling Equity (and the Sterling Equity Corporation Hedge Fund Bonds) but over and over again people fall for it. If they didn't these guys would have given up long ago.

Same with something else I deal with - scam model agencies. However many times you tell people that just because they have a pretty website and advertise on Google it doesn't make them a legitimate company.

Maybe someone did invest £90k with them and gets £1k back per month. Will they wait 90 months to find the money is all gone!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • normansands
    Options
    Dear All,

still here, still genuine, still a bizarre OAP but still seeking answers.
    If not Sterling, where are the bona fide hedge funds, what do they achieve and how does the little man get in?

Sorry to disappoint but still looking.

Regards

Norman
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    Dear All,

If not Sterling, where are the bona fide hedge funds, what do they achieve and how does the little man get in?

Regards

Norman

Do you believe there is such a thing - for personal investors?

A 'hedge' is just as its name implies. It 'hedges' you against a risk. A true financial hedge is not an 'investment' at all. In effect it is better thought of as an 'Insurance' that means you can 'lock in' some safety to any position you happen to be in. Generally you are replacing a win or lose situation into a more predictable situation.

Now there are thousands of different sorts of 'instruments' that each could be termed a 'hedge'. Futures, Options, etc. Now some fund managers have learned that if they pump a lot of money into equities (as they do), they can add a little bit of 'spice' in terms of a few futures and options - the intension usually being to reduce massive losses in a stock market dive, but at the cost of reducing profits if it goes the other way.

Typically used by 'Absolute' Funds, but these never produce brilliant gains. They try to reduce volatility and turn a small profit whatever the market is doing. Now these could probably be termed 'hedge funds' - but it is a 'myth' that these things are all brilliant money makers for those 'in the know', hidden away from us investors with binding twine round our trousers.
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dear All,

Regards

Norman

The AIC has a list of hedge funds and funds of hedge funds here. I don't think that they are worth investing in, myself. Something like the Rothschild IT ( a family investment trust ) is more appealing IMO.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Norman,

There is no magic high return, low risk investment that is being kept away from the small investor.

If you do decide to go for one of the hedge funds listed above (I'm not a fan of most of those either) you can usually reduce the costs by going through a Discount Broker. However if you don't mind me saying so you may be rather naive when it comes to investments and you will probably find it worth paying the extra to go via an IFA. That way you spend a better chance of selecting an investment that matches your objectives.
  • normansands
    Options
    Thanks everyone but I am still puzzled on this, perhaps stewartfisher could post again.
    Surely there is something going on?
    we are told that the banks have turned it all around in a couple of years and far from being bankrupt they are once again reaping in billions and paying millions in bonuses to their fund managers.
    Now call me stupid if you like but they have not done this receiving 0.2% as I am getting.
    What is the answer?
    Regards
    Norman
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    we are told that the banks have turned it all around in a couple of years and far from being bankrupt they are once again reaping in billions and paying millions in bonuses to their fund managers.

What banks? Retail bank, investment bank or other type? I fear you are mixing up the different types/arms of a bank.
    Now call me stupid if you like but they have not done this receiving 0.2% as I am getting.

You are now talking retail bank. A long way from investment managers. You are getting 0.2% because you have not looked into your options. However, ignoring that for the moment, if you take the net interest margin off the base rate then you shouldnt be expecting much when the base rate is low. If you want investments then consider investments but stick with conventional investing using FSA regulated firms complying with FSA regulations. If you want savings then stick with savings accounts.

Do not mix up what an investment bank does with what a retail bank offers you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • normansands
    Options
    Thank you
    but it is the banks themselves that have been criticised for mixing their business and over-egging their investment(gambling) side.
    the retail side has been busy calling in loans for renegotiating terms and abusing first-time buyers etc etc.
    Working on the principle that in their thrust for market share they were too generous previously - their mistake but customers must pay for the recovery.
    Nevertheless this has only been small beer and in no way produced the immense turn around surely?
    The question is what is it that fund managers do to produce such enormous returns?
    Are they working off-shore, are they regulated?
    or is there just regulation of onshore activities?
    For clarification I have never invested just saved some money.
    Regards
    Norman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills