We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can't join as a new customer straight after leaving, you have to leave it 12 months (IIRC) unless you get an offer addressed specifically to you.
  • rocketman80
    rocketman80 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    You can't join as a new customer straight after leaving, you have to leave it 12 months (IIRC) unless you get an offer addressed specifically to you.

If this is for me, yeah thats what I mean ;)
  • Codfish
    Options
    I have been a sky customer for over 10 years and still have the old type box. I contacted sky customer service to try and get a free upgrade but like others I got nowhere. I took advice from others on this forum and contacted cancellations but again got nowhere, even when I gave a monhs notice to cancel.
    Decided to give it one more go, so I looked on the saynoto0870 web site and got a free phone number for customer services 0800 0963624. I got through to the normal set of pre recorded options and picked 3. I spoke to an advisor, explained that I had already cancelled my sky package but had found a beter package fo my phone and line rental and asked what incentives they could give me to stay a sky customer. Got put on hold for a while (freephone number..so no problem) and eventually got through to someone else, who after making some checks offered me a free sky + box and free fitting and 20% off my TV package...result.
  • DragonQ
    Options
    All Sky+ boxes now are actually Sky+ HD boxes, so if you have an HDTV you can watch the free HD channels even without the HD Pack. These are BBC One HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD, Channel 4 HD and Channel 5 HD.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 30 July 2012 at 3:27PM
    Options
    143 - BBC1 HD
    169 - BBC HD (will probably end up as BBC2 HD)
    171 - Channel 5 HD
    178 - ITV1 HD
    230 - Channel 4 HD

Plus the 24 Olympic HD channels (450 to 473 incl.) at the moment.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • DragonQ
    Options
    Channel 4 HD is on channel 230 on Sky as of a few weeks ago.
  • rocketman80
    rocketman80 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting phone call off Sky..... Offered me everything for "only £65 a month, hows that sound?" Errr, how is that saving me money? lol.

Pointed out I wanted better, got told "offers are based on the packages and services a customer subscribes to and there are different offers available online and with our Customer Service advisors. A Customer Service advisor will not be able to apply an online offer to your account due to system restrictions."

And being a loyal customer gets you nothing with them.

Funnily enough I refused the offer....
  • Mason_ite49
    Options
    I have been going through some of these posts and have come up with the conclusion of just being as polite as possible and explain my certain circumstances financially are putting a strain on my monthly budget and sky is one of the un necessary privileges so if you cant help me reduce I may have to cancel.

This is not far from the truth at all....I currently live in Hull and for those of you who do not know us unfortunate residents only have the choice of Kingston Communications for our calls and broadband, which completely cuts us off from the rest of the country and sky and virgin media/calls & broadband packages.

Currently my sky like most peoples has risen by £1.50 as of September this year putting my monthly bill up to £55.50. I have HD + HD Multi room, ESPN, all the basics but NO Sky Sports or Movies, then my Kingston Communications calls and broadband is £31.20 a month giving me a total layout a month of £86.70!!

£86.70!!!!!!!! I don't even get Sky Sports or the Movies!!

Am going to ring sky and complain as nicely as I can as If they do not provide me with calls or broadband there must be something they can do for me.

Anybody else from Hull had any luck with this thread or used the KC bargaining tool when trying to reduce their bills?
  • Mason_ite49
    Options
    Success....

Rang Sky last night and explained to them that I live in Hull and am paying a premium for my broadband as I have no option but to be with KC and sky is an extra privilege I cannot simply afford. I explained I did'nt want to leave but I hope you can understand that paying £86.70 for internet and sky is simply ridiculous and one or the other has to go and am sure you can understand it's not going to be the internet. Yes sir I understand hold for just one minute......

2 mins later...... what we can do sir is drop your bill from £55.50 a month down to £36.50 a month for 12 months and call us back in 12 months time to see if we can do anything else.

Bonus!! Was a nice friendly understanding guy, but i was always mentally aware to be as nice as I could to him in order for this offer to come to the table.

Just be nice, explain your situation and anyone can benefit a reward.
  • DJsagar
    Options
    hello i have finished my 12 months contract and im now rolling month bills,
    my channels stopped working properly so i rang up sky and asked them to fix it, but as im out of my 12 months warrenty i would have to pay£65 for someone to come out and fix it

i used to pay £42.50 per month for all channels apart from sports and movies, i get broadband and phone aswell
    about 3-4 months ago i got them to drop that to £30 a month by getting them to give me free land line :P

so when on phone to them last night i refused the £65 fee for fixing my box, and asked to be sent to cancelations onec i got there started talking to a very friendly member of staff who offered me:

+1 years full HD ... free....
    +1 years mulitroom +£10.25 a month ( was going for that away way)
    +my box fixed for free if cant be fixed then replace with new for free
    + a brand new 1tb full hd sky+ box (worth £350) for free

all i have to pay if £49 ( the set up fee was gonna be £60 so got £10 off that) and a new total of only £40.25 a month :P

worth haggling them :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family