Replies

• CAFCGirlCAFCGirl Forumite
    9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It may be my maths,

but I read the incomings as being near the £3200
    and the outgoings as £3000 mark?

Are these debts solely yours? Or are any of them joint?

Plus hubbys share of mortgage payment isn't a true half, is it based on how much both of you earn? Just thought because theres an extra £156 then you pay, given the half the mortgage and the mortgage insurance?

Home and contents insurance I find a bit high? Who is your current provider. I think Barclays are still doing an offer to beat your insurance or drop their price and give you £50, just dont tell them how much you pay at the beginning, wait for their quote!

Food I think you could shave to circa £150 a month for all the numbers, as this will go up when bubba turns up (btw boy or girl?)

Again dependant on the APR's of your debts etc, it may be best to juggle the amounts you're paying so you're paying off the most expensive debts quicker. Are you able to get these?

And I'd also like to add, Congratulations on the soon to be addition to the fold. I can't comment much on kids, since I dont have any. But everyone has so far posted some really great tips. The OS board is chocka-block full of ideas to save money, including home made baby food etc, and the meals that people produce on there are in my opinion legendary!

Welcome aboard the DFW wagon!
    Look forward to keeping up with your progress
    Language Learners Chat : Spanish
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2020 24/66
    Fashion on The Ration Coupon 2021 31/66
    Fashion on The Ration Coupons 2022 0/66 Excess from 2021 35 Coupons
  • Hi CAFC Girl,

Thank you so much for your comments... and the congratulations. We can fnd out a week on Tuesday whether it's a boy or a girl- hubby wants to know, I want a surprise at the end but my willpower isn't great so I might not be able to stop myself from asking...

The debts are solely mine I'm afraid. Hubby has his own and he pays them off independently. It works for us- joint finances will be a possibility in the future but at the moment this is what we want. He pays less than half of the mortgage because he pays for the council tax & utility bills.

Current provider is Legal + General- we had to make a claim last year and they bumped up our premium. I will check the renewal date- thanks for the tip.

Yep, you read correctly- incomings around £3200 and outgoings around £3000. At the moment I do seem to be spending most of the difference but I have accumulated £400 in a savings account which is earmarked for a pram and other baby equipment.

I am trying to keep this month's food bills below £200 (they're about £95 so far and exactly halfway through the month) but perhaps I should be looking at £150 instead.

Thank you for your help- I really need lots of pats on the back and kicks up the backside to keep myself on track.
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • OK, I went into Wilkinson's for the first time in my life! What a fab shop... think it may become a favourite of mine. I bought a bottle of Stardrops- 58p- and plan to use it later today. I also picked up a bottle of mandarin + grapefruit handwash which looks a lot more expensive than £1.29 and smells gorgeous... a girl has to have her treats after all!

I ticked off a few more things off my baby "needs" list in Primark at a total cost of £5, including 2 pair of scratch mitts for 50p. I can honestly say that I had more fun shopping the DFW way than I do normally.
    DFW Nerd 178
  • I've slashed my weekly food bill in half recently. All I've done is actually start paying attention to the price of things a bit more - it can really be that easy! with things like toiletries there's always a deal on so don't stick on what you normally buy, just go for the deals!
  • I've made a good start this week. I spent £2.01 on drinks in a pub but I will claim that back on expenses. I also spent £3.50 on a top-up shop- bread & veggies. I must start making my own bread again. I've set myself a limit of £10 for topping up the fridge this week so that only leaves me £6.50 for the rest of the week.

Supper tonight was yummy chicken casserole made with leftovers from yesterday's roast. I've made a stock with the bones and have enough meat left to make a lovely chicken soup tomorrow evening. I'm so proud of what I've done so far this month- so far I've spent around £120 on food. I'm ashamed to say that I've spent that in a week pre-lightbulb moment.

A guy at work asked me whether I was coming back to work after maternity leave. I said yes, for financial reasons. He gave me a long spiel about how he and his wife had made the decision for her to give up work as "What's the point of having children if you never see them". Yeah, thanks for that mate- must be nice to have the option!
    DFW Nerd 178
  • ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guy at work asked me whether I was coming back to work after maternity leave. I said yes, for financial reasons. He gave me a long spiel about how he and his wife had made the decision for her to give up work as "What's the point of having children if you never see them". Yeah, thanks for that mate- must be nice to have the option!

Did you not ask how much of his wage he was going to give you so you could stay at home?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky." OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Should have done eh! He didn't mean any harm really- he just lacks tact...
    DFW Nerd 178
  • lynsayjanelynsayjane Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hey chuck. sounds like your doibng super well! don't beat yourself up over pre-lbm spends, i think if we were all honest we've all bought something that we maybe shouldnt.

me? i have a £750 lcd tv sitting here which just looks good these days since i cancelled sky AND my tv license. was pretty much the last thing i cought pre/lbm. and on the cc too...a good chunk of it should have been payed off due to an insurance claim on the old tv, but a ba$tard of an electric bill (underpaying for a year, cheers for letting me know :mad: ) took half of that.

the point is we all live and learn and so long as you do learn from your mistakes they aren't proper mistakes, they are learning experiences!

good luck with the 20k target, i have my eye on you! ;)
  • Hiya hun, you know what- it really helps me to know there's someone else watching my £20K challenge. A kind of virtual kick up the backside every time I eye up a new pair of shoes or a dress if you know what I mean :D
    DFW Nerd 178
  • lynsayjanelynsayjane Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hiya hun, you know what- it really helps me to know there's someone else watching my £20K challenge. A kind of virtual kick up the backside every time I eye up a new pair of shoes or a dress if you know what I mean :D

i do yeah, but do you find that sometimes it feels like folk don't bother to read your diary??? maybe thats just me! but i'm adding this one to my favourites.

i know what you mean about a kick up the bum, after i've spent money i'm too scared to post on here in case the 'what have you spent' thread is lurking in my eyeline! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides