in Debt Free Diaries
443 replies 19.9K views

Replies

• lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just thought Id come here have a catch up with you and give you a big :T

Seems like things are going well for you!

Have a fab holiday
    Lynz
    x
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Thanks girls.

Wow Lynz look at your balance- I'm so impressed with your progress.

LJD1 Hmmm.. thanks for the advice. Everyone keeps telling me boys are easier but I can only remember my 2 boisterous little brothers and what little monsters they were :-)

Lyns you're right of course- hurry up Quidco payment!

x x x
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • What a nightmare month this is turning out to be. I thought I was doing so well- the holiday was pretty good by DFW standards. We self catered so it was easy to keep costs down, plus we went shopping for baby stuff in the hypermarkets- much cheaper than here for some items and really gorgeous stuff too. Then the bad stuff...

I made sure I cancelled my Quidco/Blockbuster free trial before I left as the 14 day limit fell during our holiday. I came back to an email saying that if I didn't return the DVDs by the 6th (ie yesterday) I'd be charged for a month. So that completely wipes out my Quidco profit and means I'm out of pocket.

Even worse, my mum stayed in our house to feed the cats- cheaper than a cattery. But she needed a lift to bring her down to London which cost £30 in petrol which I could well have done without- and I got flashed by a speed camera. Then I had to leave food in the fridge and a bit of cash for her to spend on essentials. And I've come back to find that the flashing camera was indeed for real and I've been caught doing 39 MPH in a 30 zone. Which I think is another £60. Gutted. I'd have been better off putting the cats into a cattery :-(

Plus my new Marbles card arrived and they've only given me a credit limit of £1500 so that severely restricts the balance transfers I had planned to do. Still, at least £1500 of my debt will be 0%.

I haven't even updated my signature this month as I really don't think I've made any dramatic progress at all. Only 4 months' full pay before I go onto statutory maternity pay and I'm not doing very well at all. Feeling quite down about all this as I really have been trying but obviously not hard enough.

All kicks up the backside will be taken in good spirit x
    DFW Nerd 178
  • Oh hun, you don't need a kick up the backside!! What I see there is a list of unfortunate happenings and things that couldn't be predicted, try not to beat yourself up! Aside from driving a bit slower, there's nothing much you could have done about any of it... and that happens to the best of us at least once :o

Is there any progress to report at all? Even a tiny change is to be celebrated... better than the increases that might have happened pre-lightbulb! :T

Everyone has bad months but try to let it spur you on, rather than slow you down. And... above all... try not to stress too much - your health and that of baby are the most important thing. :)

Kath x
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • Kath you're very kind but no, sadly there is no progress whatsoever. In fact my figures add up to an even higher amount than I'm showing on my signature. I can only think that I got my original figures wrong and the real total should always have been higher as my figures are definitely right now.

Anyway, steps taken this week so far:

-6 items listed on eBay
    -2 of these items count towards the £1024 from nothing challenge and both of them have a watcher each- yayyy!
    -Did a BT of £1500 to my new Marbles card and used £300 of my overdraft to pay off my M&S card completely- thought using the overdraft would be cheaper than paying interest on the remaining balance
    -Reactivated my Amazon listings after my hols
    -Put my expenses claim through- £279 which will go straight onto my FD gold card and will put a big smile on my face :-)

Must do before the end of the week:

-change my leftover euros- probably about 30 in notes
    -count my change tin and bank it
    -claim back £39 that a friend owes me- I'm seeing her on Sunday and she has remembered it
    -spend no more than £15 on shopping this week

The above actions I reckon will keep my head above water for another 2-3 weeks, by which time it'll be pay day again and hopefully October's payslip will be put to good use and will actually make some difference to my final figure.

So I'm feeling a lot more positive now and looking forward to the 31st October!
    DFW Nerd 178
  • Glad to hear you're feeling more positive Mrs Sparkle! Those actions are really good, every little action will help towards your total. Don't feel bad for adding things up wrong... at least you now have the right total to work from :T
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • lynsayjanelynsayjane Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    het toots, i've not really spent much time on here these past few days, sorry to hear of all your bad bits this month, but you kow things can only get better! like kath says we all have bad bits where we feel we make more progress. maybe what you should think on is how much you'd have spent on that holiday pre lbm and pat yourself on the back for doing so well!

keep yer chin up sweetie, you're a star and you know it!
    x
  • I'm feeling a lot more positive now but as usual I'm sooo impatient for payday! Update on this week's actions:

-change my leftover euros- probably about 30 in notes- did this, had 40 euros
    -count my change tin and bank it- not managed this one yet
    -claim back £39 that a friend owes me- I'm seeing her on Sunday and she has remembered it- done!
    -spend no more than £15 on shopping this week- erm... well I spent £65 in Tesco on Saturday but I haven't spent anything on topping up so it looks like I've finally got the hang of this menu planning lark. Plus I have a store cupboard full of tinned tomatoes, dried beans and other useful stuff

My Money From Nothing challenge is ahead of target and eBay sales in general are going well. I sold 6 things on eBay yesterday and I've another 9 auctions ending this week. Lots more decluttering to be done in the Sparkle household if I'm to make my £200 challenge this month.

I think I need to do a challenge every month as it's saved me from my mid-month crisis where my bank account is empty and my debts are static until I get paid.

I'm supposed to be out with 2 friends tonight but I have to confess I fibbed and said I was working late so couldn't make it. I couldn't bear to spend money on a Thai meal when I have plenty of food at home and an empty bank account. Ha! I'm finally changing- 6 months ago I'd have thought Oh sod it, that's what credit cards are for...

That's it from me for now... good luck to anyone else doing the MFN challenge x x
    DFW Nerd 178
  • whatatwitwhatatwit Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Just read through this thread Mrs Sparkle.
    Well done you so far.
    Keep up the good work.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • ElliesmumElliesmum Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this! I have a bundle of Boots money off vouchers for baby stuff and have to use them by end of October but I don't get paid until 29 September, so only another week and I can start buying baby stuff. That's a great tip to buy a little every month- I will try to stick with this.

I did this too and it really helped - at one point I had a 6 months supply of baby wipes (Pampers Sensitive - often come on offer in Asda 6 for less than £6), I kid you not and it was great!

EM x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides