Warm bottles or not??

i have bought a set of dr browns bottles as a few friends recommended them, i also bought the steriliser to go with it.

i was googling there to see which bottle warmer they would fit in and in multiple forums people were saying they never bothered to warm their bottles they just gave the babies room temp bottles!

now im confused i thought the bottles HAD to be warm?

does this mean they just boil the water let it cool then add formula? soooo confused!

Comments

• i have bought a set of dr browns bottles as a few friends recommended them, i also bought the steriliser to go with it.

i was googling there to see which bottle warmer they would fit in and in multiple forums people were saying they never bothered to warm their bottles they just gave the babies room temp bottles!

now im confused i thought the bottles HAD to be warm?

does this mean they just boil the water let it cool then add formula? soooo confused!

Not sure if they have to be warm - prob nicer to baby - can't remember but I'm sure I've feed my children in the past with room temp bottles...prob someone will come along and say that's not right ;)

I used the Dr Browns bottles for a bit with DD and I used to put the bottle in the kettle (not boiling water but hot) to warm it and then give it a good shake and then test on arm....I never bothered with an actual bottle warmer...did the job for me
  • missiemog
    missiemog Posts: 141 Forumite
    i only ever warmed a bottle if it was cold from the fridge.

myself, i put the boiled water in then let it cool to room temp and then added formula when required.
    RATFINK DAISIES!!!!
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Yes as long as the water has been boiled it is ok if it is cool when you give it to LO. But they prefer it warm! It is useful to get them used to having it at room temperature a it is more convenient when out and about. Sometimes people leave bottles of water in the fridge ready for the day ahead, then add the formula powder when you're ready. I wouldn't give anything to baby straight out of the fridge, it's too cold.

Have you had your baby yet? You might consider breastfeeding, which is more convenient than anything, and is always just the right temperature. :)
  • dreambirdie
    dreambirdie Posts: 441 Forumite
    so if i was making up bottles the night before say for 2/3 night feeds i could boil the water and add it to the bottles, then just use them as and when needed. would the water still be sterile? sorry if i sound stupid i really dont have a clue! im trying to get organised as i can. i dont want to be running up and down the stairs during the night to heat up bottles so was thinking a bottle warmer would be a good solution to that?
  • so if i was making up bottles the night before say for 2/3 night feeds i could boil the water and add it to the bottles, then just use them as and when needed. would the water still be sterile? sorry if i sound stupid i really dont have a clue! im trying to get organised as i can. i dont want to be running up and down the stairs during the night to heat up bottles so was thinking a bottle warmer would be a good solution to that?

Yes...I think a feed last 24 hours in the fridge from memory then needs to be discarded?

But you won't want to be giving baby the bottle straight from the fridge so you will need to warm it first in some way - as I said I didn't buy a special bottle warmer - well actually I did but found it took forever to heat - you will have to go down to the fridge anyway so I used to use the water in the kettle to warm the bottle with
  • JBD
    JBD Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2010 at 11:31PM
    I used to warm the bottle in a jug of boiling water, then shake some milk on my arm to test the temperature. Some Mums also warm it in a microwave, but you must shake it to ensure there are no hot points. I used to make up bottles in advance and store them in the fridge but I believe there are different guidelines nowadays. Would strongly advise you to read these first.
    You could always keep a kettle in the bedroom , or hot water in a flask so you don't have to go down stairs. You will soon find an easy way of doing things.
  • JBD wrote: »
    I used to warm the bottle in a jug of boiling water, then shake some milk on my arm to test the temperature. Some Mums also warm it in a microwave, but you must shake it to ensure there are no hot points. I used to make up bottles in advance and store them in the fridge but I believe there are different guidelines nowadays. Would strongly advise you to read these first.
    You could always keep a kettle in the bedroom , or hot water in a flask so you don't have to go down stairs. You will soon find an easy way of doing things.

Glad it wasn't just me with the kettle ;) it all seems like so long ago now for me :o
  • mumcoll
    mumcoll Posts: 393 Forumite
    I used to make the bottles up double strength, keep them in the fridge, then add boiling water to the cold bottle to dilute it to the correct strength - instant warm bottle. (Well the time it took for the kettle to boil). That was such a long time ago! Little grandson's bottles are warmed in the microwave.
  • sp1987
    sp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2010 at 3:30AM
    Our son was sick more with a warm bottle than a cold one. I've no idea why as apparently warming them is meant to lessen sickness for a lot of babies??

We haven't warmed them since. He only has them warm if the kettle is freshly boiled and then we cool it to warm rather than cold so he gets it sooner.

When I was pregnant I was told from more sources than I care to remember that keeping a days worth of bottles/milk in the fridge was a big no no and that all feeds were to be discarded after 2 or 4 hours (as applicable to the particular milk). It seems a new development as our family friend (a health professional) was not advised not to do this even 3 years ago when she had her last baby.

We boil the kettle and then leave it cool before using it. It is the bacteria in the milk that is dangerous for a baby, a 'closed' pre boiled kettle won't harbour much in the way of harmful bacteria in comparison. One can observe the difference in offensive smell of some old water you sniff (ergh not drinking that) versus some milk you forgot to put back in the fridge for a couple of hours with a liquid top layer and solid bottom layer (oh god, oh no, oh I think I'm going to be sick!).

Plus, if you would like not to move far at all, you can get little cartons of ready made milk for the nights (even little bottles with teats if you are using SMA but they are only 100ml) which are approx 50p and 250ml each. Keep it next to the bed and keep 1 or 2 sterile bottles there too to put each carton in. No need to leave the bedroom, tada! Plus they can safely stay at cool room temperature as they are UHT (we use them now to take out in the day). Wish someone had told me early on as it would have saved a lot of time piddling around in the kitchen for us. At 4.30am after no sleep I found counting the scoops of formula to be too much of a mental trauma. I would lose count and have to start over fresh sometimes 3 times.
  • xmaslolly76
    xmaslolly76 Posts: 3,974 Forumite
    Ive never warmed the bottles always fed at room temperature bottles are made up with water then powder added when needed. I also used the cartons when baby was very little for the night feeds as everyminute you can save means more precious sleep for you.
    :jFriends are like fabric you can never have enough:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport