MoneyMoral Dilemma: Should I make my friend pay for the vase?

Options
Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 27 July 2010 at 7:29PM in MoneySaving polls
This is a real life MMD so please bear in mind the MoneySaver in question will read your responses:
Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...
Should I make my friend pay for the vase?
I hired my friend, at her request, to clean my house as she's only working part-time and needs extra cash. The other day while cleaning the living room, she broke an expensive vase given to me as a birthday present. If she wasn't my friend, I would've docked it off her wages. But I know she's a bit broke at the moment.
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Too right, either ask for the money back or as for her to replace it. She wanted the job, she has to deal with the consiquences. Plus if she was a true friend she would have offered to pay for a new one anyway.
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • littlejaffa
    littlejaffa Posts: 2,251 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    no of course you shouldn't that's what household insurance is for - it was an accident, if she'd broke it when she was visiting you wouldn't ask he to pay (or maybe you would)

if you think it was deliberate thats a whole nother question but assuming you call her friend and therefore it was an accident, treat it as such and of course you don't ask her to pay for it
    Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
  • mrsmoneybee
    mrsmoneybee Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, but no. I've been in a not dissimilar situation with a friend cleaning to help us both out (them financially and me as I'm a busy working mum) and something got damaged. It was simply an accident. Yes I would be financially worse off if I chose to replace the item (which I didn't, so am not out of pocket) and yes I lose out, but at the end of the day it's an accident (who's not broken something in a shop?) and I would never consider someone a friend if I wanted to charge them for it.
    Starting my journey July 2011. Loan £15,683.94 [STRIKE]£17,681.33 [/STRIKE]/ OD1 £3800 / OD2 £0 [STRIKE]£1000 [/STRIKE]/ CC1 £193.34 [STRIKE]£2717.50 [/STRIKE]/ CC2 £362.98 [STRIKE]£462.98 [/STRIKE]/ Car £0.00[STRIKE]£1217.56[/STRIKE] /Next £0.00 [STRIKE]£339.17 [/STRIKE]Total £20,236.62 [STRIKE]£27,337.76[/STRIKE]
    For most people the definition of never-ending is 'eternal', in my world it's 'housework'...
  • dcddcd
    Options
    Certainly not. Claim it from your contents insurance - that is what you pay your premiums for.
    If you don't have it either give yourself a slap on the wrist and buy a policy or use the money you didn't spend on insurance to buy a new vase.

Vases are replaceable - friends are not.
  • KarleyMarie
    KarleyMarie Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    I'd expect them to offer, but I wouldn't accept it. Accidents happen after all..
    Slimming World: 1stone 11lbs lost in 11 weeks
  • Molely
    Options
    Of course you shouldn't, unless of course you can show on a balance of probability that it was done on purpose, which I doubt.
  • CorallyWorally
    CorallyWorally Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 July 2010 at 12:31AM
    Options
    I'd say no. It was an accident and if you feel strongly about these things it's your responsibility to have contents insured to cover accidental damage. Difficult to laugh it off, but couldn't you think together of something else she could do to cheer you up again, even if it's only to make you a cup of tea or have you round for a meal? These are things even skint people can enjoy doing and brings you both back to having warm feelings.
    Agree with person who says friendships are more valuable than vases.
  • robynprincess
    Options
    No I wouldnt ask her to replace it, is a vase worth risking my friendship? no, i dont think so.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suppose legally it is a case of: is she self employed or an employee?

In reality you just have to chew your elbows and realise that when you employ someone to save you from doing the work yourself this is a risk you are taking.

Smile through it - every dog is allowed one bite

Check your insurance, when butter fingers falls down the stairs, you could be in real trouble.

You really might need to call on the bonds of friendship when that happens - even before the day time TV ambulance chasers get in on the act.
  • JueC
    JueC Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Had a similar incident myself a few years ago. A friend dropped an expensive champagne glass which cost me £19 to replace. He didn't offer to pay so I just gritted my teeth and grinned through it! Presumed he didn't know the value or he might have offered to pay (maybe wishful thinking on my behalf). They're actually very generous friends so I've probably had the money back one way or another over the years since.

Anyone can have an accident, whether they're cleaning the house or just visiting. If you had hired a professional cleaner, they would have had their own insurance to cover such a situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure