my dog needs an operation, talking a thousand pounds, help?????

in Pets & Pet Care
51 replies 4.1K views
floydyfloydy Forumite
499 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
Hi, apologies if in the wrong forum,

i have a much loved dog who has severed his achilles tendon, and needs a major orthopoedic operation involving plates and screws.
Have already forked out in excess of 150 pounds for 2 courses of tablets and an xray under anaesthetic.
I have been told you can only go to the pdsa if ur on housing benefit or council tax benefit ( i rang them up to confirm).
What can i do? i havent got a thousand pounds and dont know what to do.

Putting him to sleep is not an option!

Any advice would be appreciated please.

Replies

• hi hope your ok. maybe you could get a loan from somewhere to pay for this? or do you not know anyone who gets housing benefit who could take your dog to the pdsa for you saying it is their dog?
    hope this helps
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As he has a problem already, I doubt you could take out insurance now to cover it.

As the above poster stated, could you get a loan to pay for the treatment?
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • or do you not know anyone who gets housing benefit who could take your dog to the pdsa for you saying it is their dog?

For heaven's sake, this is fraud!!
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • AlikayAlikay Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does your vet let you pay by installments and spread the cost? Might be worth asking - ours does.
  • you might see it as fraud but there is alot worse people out there doing fraud not to save a dogs life so think about it.
  • floydyfloydy Forumite
    499 Posts
    ✭✭
    paul&nat wrote:
    you might see it as fraud but there is alot worse people out there doing fraud not to save a dogs life so think about it.
    I have to admit i have thought about taking this route, as u say, this is about saving my dogs life. pdsa offer free treatment and ask for a donation, of which i would endeavour to make as much as i could.
  • KimberleyKimberley Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    In future get Insurance or open a savings account just for vet fee's. There are so many pet owners out there who havn't insurance and pannick when their pet needs treatment. You should always ensure your pet is protected.

As you havn't then i would suggest a friend on benefit to do it for you, but whether the PDSA would want proof i'm not sure.

Hope your pet gets his treatment.
  • *zippy**zippy* Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My sympathies with you floydy we are waiting to see if our dogs leg injury heals or we are facing an operation, the really annoying thing is I cancelled our pet insurance two weeks before she injured herself to "save money" :mad: I'm frightened to ask how much the bill will be!

Have you tried the other animal charities, I can't give you alot of details sorry because we have moved away, but an neighbour got help towards their cats operation after it was run over, it was definately from an animal charity-they were both working and not on any benefits.

She didn't say alot about it, so it could be she had a relation on benefits make the claim?? I don't know, but I think it may be worth ringing around or asking a couple of vets for some advice.

Hope you manage to sort it out
  • fredafreda Forumite
    501 Posts
    ✭✭
    Can you get a 0% credit card for £1k over (say) 6 months. That way, as long as you paid off £166 every month, you'd not pay interest. Effectively spreading the cost over 6 months.

I'd not advise the pdsa if you need to lie to use them. Charities exist for a reason, this one is to stop pets being put down when the owners genuinely cannot afford the bills due to being on benefits (of course, that begs the question as to whether they should have pets which can be expensive but thats a whole different kettle of fish). If you lie and get your dog treated through PDSA you are taking away that treatment from another animal who IS eligible for help. What right do you have to do that? Thats simply not fair, let alone being illegal. If everyone did it, no animals who really needed it would get helped as everyone would just be claiming free treatment and taking the p!ss.

Re-visit your budget and re-jig it to find £166 per month over the next 6 months. Ask on the debt free board, and the moneysaving old style board for ideas on how you could find that amount.

Sorry if the above sounds harsh, its just how I see it.
  • I know it hard - I just want to cry reading this post!!
    My GSD was hit by a car (hit and run) two weeks ago and severed her spinal column, we could have paid £3000 for her treatment but she was too active a dog and I could see too much pain in her eyes! She would have been housebound and incontinent and I gulp, couldnt do that.
    Sorry to bring that up.
    Some vets do payment plans for treatment, we couldnt afford to pay our fees once she had been put down all at one so have paid it last month and this. I know it wasnt as much but there are vets out there that offer finance.

Sorry again and I wish you all the best of luck

Oh if I could have the chance again to see her well and happy I would do anything and everything I could think of.

All the Best

Sam :(
    Debt [STRIKE]01/09/2006 = £10500[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]14/09/06= 9034.43[/STRIKE] 15/09/2006 [STRIKE]£8530[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£7832.32[/STRIKE] 01/01/2007=£4866.40
    Was £15000
    Natwest charges (£1205)Reclaimed in full!!
    Citi Cards charges(Approx £2000)

Debt free Date 01/04/2007
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News