PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheap brown vinegar works for...?

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought both yesterday, white for clothes and brown for cleaning. The white is not particularly money saving, particularly compared to brown so I will try the brown on the towels I use for the dog just to double check it at a higher temperature than 50.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I use brown vinegar from Lidl also. It is just so cheap and seems to do exactly the same job as white. I have had no problems with staining.I find it great because my daughter has sensitive skin and can react to other (more expensive) products, but she is okay with vinegar.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Queenie: apologies for not replying yesterday (must have slunk off somewhere) storm passed pretty quickly resulting in happy dog again.
    Mind you, he's sulking now cos we have been out to a car boot sale and left him at home for hours.:)
    hope everyone happy with brown vinegar results......
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
  • Hi

I am new to this site but I have seen a post somewhere that you can use vinegar to clean out a dishwasher. I have not used mine for some time and thought I could give this a go, but I can not now find the post !!

Please could some one help me and is there anything else I can use the vinegar for ? Oh yes, does it matter which type of vinegar ?!!!

Many thanks,
    Bek x
  • Ems*Honie
    Ems*Honie Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just pop the vinegar into the drawer where the tablet normally goes and run it through,, not sure how everyone else does it but this works for me ;)

I use whichever I have handy between malt ans white/clear :)
  • I'm sure someone will point you to a link to the millions of uses for vinegar! But here are some of my favourites:

A couple of capfuls instead of fabric softener.

Diluted and sprayed on worktops/dining table.

To clean the sink/hob/kettle (stainless steel.)

Diluted and sprayed on windows and wiped with old newspaper to clean and shine.

To clean the bathroom.

Mixed with a little washing up liquid and lots of water to clean the floors. (Depends on your floors I think.)

Added to wash when cleaning nappies.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    bektoria wrote:
    Hi

I am new to this site but I have seen a post somewhere that you can use vinegar to clean out a dishwasher. I have not used mine for some time and thought I could give this a go, but I can not now find the post !!

Please could some one help me and is there anything else I can use the vinegar for ? Oh yes, does it matter which type of vinegar ?!!!

Many thanks,
    Bek x
    One way to use the vinegar is to half full a cup and then sit it upright on the top tray.

Another is that you can use vinegar as the rinse aid.

The right vinegar, sometimes called white, but in fact it's clear vinegar, this is distilled vinegar and is the preferred choice.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    or by me, the brown stuff cause I still can't find the white stuff!!! It doesn't stain your clothes!!!!
  • zeddy_2
    zeddy_2 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Since trying out Vinegar for washing our clothes I haven't looked back. Both me and my boyfriend started to itch in our clothes and bedding a few weeks back and I thought I would try using vinegar jut instead of conditioner at first. Although my clothes were softer, they weren't any less itchy so I did away with the washing powder as well. Now I was only in vinegar (clothes only - obviously) and wouldn't go back. Our clothes are softer, are keeping their colour and are easier to iron. (They are also clean - forgot to mention)!

I have been using white vinegar for fear of staining, but I've trusted you once (even though my boyfriend thought I was mad) so I'll trust you again. Malt vinegar here I come!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How much are you supposed to put in?
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income