PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheap brown vinegar works for...?

Comments

• debs2327
    debs2327 Posts: 1,172 Forumite
    thanks all xx youve all inspried me to start using the vinegar in my washing , my daughter has excema so some of the fabric conditioners are too harsh for her so i havent been using any , but will give it a try , thanks xxxx
    wins :- x2 hair dyes ,mascara, epilator,personalised card , glass photo ,
    comp angels please throw some luck my way
    :D:j:D:A:)
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When i first started using vinegar instead of conditioner i used the white for about two weeks and then thought that i`d try the plain old brown as it was much cheaper, i`ve been using it ever since for a couple of years at least and i`ve never had any problems.

What i do like are the antibacterial qualities which are welcome when washing pet bedding.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • ralloctiger
    ralloctiger Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi am a vinegar fan but have never heard of using it as conditioner in the machine. Please give me the courage to try it. I have sometimes used brown vingar to clean with and always wondered why white is recommended? I think it smells stronger could be imaginig it?
    thanx for this great tip if I get the courage?
    xx
    :) mum to Min Pops and Wiggy et al. :)
  • Bubby
    Bubby Posts: 793 Forumite
    I used it to clean my dishwasher rather than the stuff I used to buy and I haven't looked back! Amazing, so clean and yet no smell afterwards of vinegar. I am going to try it in my wash when I do my towels first.
    Will it be ok at 30c?
  • Bubby wrote: »
    I used it to clean my dishwasher rather than the stuff I used to buy and I haven't looked back! Amazing, so clean and yet no smell afterwards of vinegar. I am going to try it in my wash when I do my towels first.
    Will it be ok at 30c?

Do you mean you use it instead of dishwasher powder, conditioner or to clean the machine on an empty cycle?
  • budgeteer wrote: »
    PS I think there is a difference between malt vinegar and non brewed condiment, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is, or whether using it would have different result

Yippee! Finally a question for which I have a definite (if personal)answer -

Vinegar tastes and smells wonderful on chips - NBC has no effect whatever.
  • Bubby
    Bubby Posts: 793 Forumite
    Do you mean you use it instead of dishwasher powder, conditioner or to clean the machine on an empty cycle?

To clean the machine on an empty cycle:)
  • chrissie55
    chrissie55 Posts: 102 Forumite
    I use dilute brown vinegar to condition my hair & keep dandruff down, & it's good for cleaning windows, 2 or 3 tbsp in a bowl of water. It's also reviving to wash yr upper body in vinegar & water 50/50 when you're tired, & it takes the itch from insect bites applied neat, soothes sunburn when diluted.....there's a little book about it, available in some libraries.
  • tanyalbeck
    tanyalbeck Posts: 70 Forumite
    the problem i have is that i LIKE the smell of (yellow) lenor/ comfort, and the smell of my hair conditioner!!! and the stuff stinks until it's dry...

for those of you that use vinegar on your hair, how much and what do you do? does you hair smell like a chippy till it's dry? I dont use a hairdryer so it'd take a LONG time!!!

Tanya
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Added bonus when using vinegar as a conditioner in your washing machine...no more black yucky drawer! I was amazed to find that it just doesn't happen, honest! In fact, if you put the vinegar in ready for the next wash and leave it, it removes any tidelines in the compartment from previous conditioner use.
    I use brown vinegar all of the time and haven't had any problems with staining etc.:)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback