PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheap brown vinegar works for...?

Comments

• Hi guys,

you have inspired me so much I bought some Sarson Brown Vinegar from Lidl (29p) per bottle - probably dearer cause I'm in Northern Ireland.

I put 2 capfuls in the conditioner drawer of my washing machine, washed at 40, with my normal washing powder and lovely soft clothes - I see no point in buying fabric conditioner again, seems like a con now!!!!

Okay I need help, I want to use the vinegar to clean the bath, tiles etc, does anyone know is it half water half viinegar - what way do you make it up. Also cleaning windows, is it half each also??

Many thanks, you guys have saved me a fortune!
    Groceries challenge
    May - £70 so far:beer::beer:

• BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd try a half-and-half solution and use it in a spray-bottle. Polish those windows with newspaper after the vinegar treatment it brings up a lovely shine
  • GONAD_2
    GONAD_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    betony wrote: »
    Yes, I can vouch for this. Since moving to our new house, we only have a cold tap for the washing machine fill, whereas we previously had hot and cold fill. For some reason our machine will not heat up the water by itself, however long its left, so we just wash with cold and have never noticed a difference. However, concerned that bacteria may not be disabled by the cold water (maybe they can hold their breath, though?!) we add a tablespoonful of Zoflora disinfectant to the drawer.

The original poster suggested that tap water is 0C, it would probably have ice in it if it were as water freezes at -1C. It's likely to be around 15C which is why the detergent designed for 15C washes works.

Wash powder will deal with bacteria but it needs a bleaching agent. Some Colour Safe detergents don't have one. Ensure you run some Oxygen Bleach through the machine regularly, either in the form of regular (whites) powder or Oxy (Astonish do a very good cheap version). Liquid detergents hardly ever contain bleach.

Zoflora is terrible stuff. Bad for the environment and your skin.

There's no scientific evidence that vinegar does anything in the wash, but if you feel the urge to use it, white vinegar is around 35p for 500ml at Asda.
  • GONAD_2
    Just a thought betony, have you connected your machine to the water correctly? You may need a Y adaptor if you moving from hot and cold to just cold. Most machine are just cold fill now.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    GONAD wrote: »
    The original poster suggested that tap water is 0C, it would probably have ice in it if it were as water freezes at -1C. It's likely to be around 15C which is why the detergent designed for 15C washes works.

The Celsius scale is calibrated by water; water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • GONAD_2
    The Celsius scale is calibrated by water; water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C :)

Only if it's pure H2O.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Only if it's pure H2O.

If it's not pure, you can't predict its freezing point without more information on its composition ;)
  • GONAD_2
    If it's not pure, you can't predict its freezing point without more information on its composition ;)

I know, I came on here to help with a money saving tip, not for an argument with a nit picker.

Next time, I won't bother.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    I know, I came on here to help with a money saving tip, not for an argument with a nit picker.

Next time, I won't bother.

Sorry if I've upset you :( Science is my speciality, and I like facts to be correct :)

PS, I'm a pedant, not a nit-picker :p
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June 2010 at 7:26PM

and ....
    Science is my speciality, and I like facts to be correct :)

PS, I'm a pedant, not a nit-picker :p

Hi All

Having read through this interesting thread and come across the discussion raised in the last couple of posts ... I would have thought that a true pedant would have actually clarified that the referenced scientific point would be at standard atmospheric pressure measured at a nominal sea level, also pointing out that the average actual pressure at sea level is approximately 1014 millibars and the standard boiling point of water is now accepted as being 99.61C at 1 Bar of pressure, but then again, the pressure changes by +/- 10% with weather conditions and don't forget the effect of altitude, with someone at say 5000' experiencing an air pressure drop of around 15% which in turn would result in a boiling point of approximately 95C, however, at the depth of the Deep Water Horizon oil well which is leaking in the Gulf of Mexico (which is also approx 5000' below sea level) the pressure is approximately 178x that at sea level, but the effect would be to only lower the freezing point of non-saline water by just over 1C ......

Pressure changes therefore have little effect on the freezing point of water, but a huge effect on the boiling point and the natural mineral salt impurities present in the average tap water would make little difference either ..... now, to bring the thread back on subject, you will find that if the washing machines were 'cold filled' with water at 15C at extreme altitude the water would start to boil, even if the machine was not plugged in :eek::p:rotfl:

Anyway, any more good uses for vinegar ? .... how about the old one for dealing with jam or preserve stains down the front of your nice clean blouse/shirt (what a messy bunch we are !!) ...... One tablespoon of vinegar to a cup/mug of hot water, dip the stained area in the liquid for a while, then dab the area dry with a clean white cloth ... may need to be repeated a couple of times .... :o

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure