New Post Advanced Search

rice pudding in slow cooker

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
99 replies 21.1K views
liz.._4liz.._4 Forumite
300 posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I put a rice pud in the slow cooker this morning at 10am (used boiling milk) and it is still not ready. Used a recipe for standard measurements and checked it with another recipe ( 100g rice to 1 litre milk) its been in now for over 7 hours and I took a sneaky peek its very liquidy, do you think I put too much milk in? I daren't keep looking at it so I thought if I leave it till about 9pm it might be cooked. I have it on high now (was on auto) thanks in anticipation :)
:)

Replies

• V.LuckyV.Lucky Forumite
    806 posts
    I did the coconut rice recipe on another thread and it only took 4 hours to cook. Have you tried stirrring it? With mine the rice kept on sticking to the bottom of the pot, and when I stirred it it soon thickened up. Cooked much quicker than I thought and I did mine on low.
    :hello:
  • liz.._4liz.._4 Forumite
    300 posts
    ✭✭
    This is taking forever and the pot is hot too. I have stirred it and put 2 tspns of custard powder in it to thicken it up. I wonder what the prob is?
  • V.LuckyV.Lucky Forumite
    806 posts
    Sorry no idea. Maybe someone else can help?
    :hello:
  • NickiNicki Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Have you tasted it to see if the rice is tender? It may be that there was just too much liquid for the rice to absorb. When I do rice pudding in my slow cooker it takes about 3 hours on low. HTH
    300 posts
    ✭✭
    Just had it and I think the rice was passed its barf by date. Seemed a bit hard and lots of liquid. Never mind, I've chucked the lot and got a bacon joint in there at the mo ready for tomorrow. I hope its not the slow cooker itself thats the problem. Seems to take ages to cook but it is very hot to touch...
  • dlbdlb Forumite
    2.5K posts
    I also only cook it on the warm setting, put mine on this morning at 9`oclock, and it was ready by 2pm.
    I switched it off, and then turned it back on at 7pm and kids have just had it before they went to bed.
    I put 4 pints of cold milk( infact i made up powdered milk today,tasted great,And cheaper than fresh!) to half a small pack of pudding rice, 3 large spoons full of sugar, some nutmeg and mixed spice in.Dont mix it at all until its time to searve up.
    Sounds alot but have 4 kids and myself and hubby to feed, a one bowl is never enough, we love rice pud done in the slow cooker.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use just under a pint of milk to a glass ramkin of rice. Never had any problems and I only cook if for about 2-3 hours max on high.

Umm might make one tomorrow not had it all summer.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    300 posts
    ✭✭
    must have been the rice itself then, got a bit of a 'lead weight' feeling at the mo. I don't think it was that out of date but I've binned it all anyway. Thanks guys for the tips, you're all great..
  • ariba10ariba10 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought but you did use short grain pudding rice?
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    300 posts
    ✭✭
    ariba10 wrote:
    Just a thought but you did use short grain pudding rice?
    It was pud rice but thanks for the suggestion. I think I know what it is nom, I don't think the sc is working properly so I have decided to get a new one. Maybe it was in the shed too long.
    Thanks everyone for being so kind...:)