flavoured vodka and other alcoholic drinks

Comments

• morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    If the cranberries are all sludgy wouldn't it be a sort of relish to eat with cold turkey ? but if cranberries all floating about in vodka I'd use it as a sauce for icecream, or maybe put dollops of it in with the mincemeat for mince pies, or just eat it with a spoon, alone in the kitchen when a bit down perhaps. Tut tut, ignore the last suggestion. Sounds nice though !
  • jennybb
    jennybb Posts: 228 Forumite
    Hi there

I have started to make flavoured gin and vodka for christmas pressies. Does anyone know where I can get some nice, but not too expensive bottles (max 500ml). The best I have seen are

http://www.ebottles.net/showbottles.asp?familyid=13

The £10 small order charge is a bit offputting.

Thanks in advance

;)
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Gawd, I trawled round dozens of cookshops and poundshops looking last autumn. I ended up buy a few fancy bottles of fruit juice, decanting the juice, cleaning the bottle and making my own labels.

It was cheaper than any empty bottles I saw on sale!
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lakeland do some, but they might be too expensive http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!11087_11086
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I just reuse the screw top bottles that the value gin etc came in to start with - the labels soak off quite easily. If you want something smaller, the value ketchup bottles are glass and scrub up quite well - although the lids aren't quite right for spirits!!!
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Ikea sell bottles for 99p and they are nice. Have a 'grolsh' type top if you know what I mean.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    when my dh made wine he used to go to the local hotel for empty wine bottles

you can buy corks or screwtop lids in your winemaking shop
  • jennybb
    jennybb Posts: 228 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies - I've looked at most of these options. Lakeland ones cost more than I want to pay. I am normally into recycling jars for chutney/ jam etc and put a pretty top on it if it's a gift - but as mentioned, not sure that sauce bottles would look quite right for spirits. I read somewhere that it might be worth trying a restuarant for empty 1/2 wine bottles. Personally, I've not seen a half bottle of wine (well it wouldn't go far, would it?;) ) but the size would be about right.

I saw a stall at a local food fair that did flavoured gin and the little bottles just looked really pretty. Perhaps I should stop being such a tightar*e and buy the ones I saw before :rolleyes:
  • not sure if this has been asked before but hope someone can help..
    I made some sloe gin last year but forgot about it...:o still got the sloes in it, will it be okay to drink still? do i just strain it then guzzle it???

also i've heard about blackberry vodka, is the theory in making this the same as sloe gin??? would i have to add sugar?? how long do you leave the berries in the vodka??
    Lead us not into temptation...

just tell us where it is and we'll find it....
  • I made blackberry vodka last year (and raspberry whisky). My rule is 1lb sugar, 2lb, fruit and 3 months. Then i bottled it. Went down very well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure