flavoured vodka and other alcoholic drinks

Comments

• I would probably strain it in stages. First stage - coarse conical sieve; then a fine conical sieve; then the fine sieve again, but lined with muslin. This is what I do with sloe gin :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • do you have to strain all HM flavoured vodkas?

i was thinking of trying to make some soon; possibly cherry drop flavoured, or cola cube, but don't have different sieves and don't really want to have to pay out for them. i just assumed everything would dissolve.
  • do you have to strain all HM flavoured vodkas?

i was thinking of trying to make some soon; possibly cherry drop flavoured, or cola cube, but don't have different sieves and don't really want to have to pay out for them. i just assumed everything would dissolve.

Some things will dissolve, but almost all leave a sediment in the bottom. You could go straight to the sieve & muslin stage, but it might take hours for it all to strain through.

Do you have a jelly-making bag? If so, that would be another route to try.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Some things will dissolve, but almost all leave a sediment in the bottom. You could go straight to the sieve & muslin stage, but it might take hours for it all to strain through.

Do you have a jelly-making bag? If so, that would be another route to try.

i have a sieve and that's it! not very well prepared :D
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hmmm! I have a colander or a tea-strainer!!! Just remember though when I was cleaning the cupboard did have something which may be a jelly starianer although I cant for the life of me think why I bought it! will try that. Have just been looking for suitable little bottles but cant find any. Lakeland have some but they are 2.99 and a bit too big. Knowing my lads they will just neck it straight down regardless of size! There are some suitable sized cow and gates baby juice jars but they are about 1.20 each. Any ideas anyone please?
  • Old pair of (very clean!) tights. Cut the foot off and stretch the ends over a large funnel. Put the funnel into the bottle, and leave the vodka to strain. ;)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • mrs_baggins
    Forumite
    I strained some skittles vodka the weekend and that was ok but I have some toffee/fudge vodka on the go and not sure how to strain this. At the moment its still has a lot of suspended particles in for want of a better description. Do you think i should try straining it or just leave it as it is. I gues maybe the fudge had some kind of cream added to it maybe and thats why its all very cloudy.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Run it through a coffee filter paper?
    I have heard of people putting cheap vodka through a water filter, makes it a lot better quality so I'm told. I spose that would work without removing the flavour. I personally wouldnt want to drink cloudy vodka!;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • mrs_baggins
    Forumite
    I have had really cloudy vodka from a pub b4 now. it was supposed to be skittles but i think all the diff colours were used and it was a horrible colour and hadnt even been strained.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi, read various threads about people making flavoured vodkas and I'd love to know how to do it. I'd love to try a toffe one and vanilla one

Do you need to use a particular vodka?
    What about breaking the seal on a bottle?
    Do you remove the label?
    How long does it keep for?
    Do you decant it into another bottle?
    What about straining it etc?

Please help! This would make a lovely present for someone I know.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure