iPhone '4' thread

Options

Comments

• 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    Looks like it 'might' be more than a rumour. . .

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/29/iphone-4g-put-under-a-microscope-960-x-640-looks-like-a-lock/

But you never know. Only a week to go !!

maybe but again does it really matter on a device that small. People often say 1080p technology is of little use vs 720p technology on 32" screens which are going to be nearly 10 times larger than the new iphones screen so i think this boost will make very little real world difference, where the inclusion of OLED would be visible.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • Danstar_2
    Danstar_2 Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    Can't see Apple ever doing a sim free.

Hmm why not? With no exclusive network deal they could have much greater demand as all networks could offer it.

Having said that TMobile having been Offering iPhones to anyone paying over £45 a month to stay with them for about a year. Orange have the iPhone as everyone knows, so do O2 and VodaScone. Also 3 have been offering iPhones to customers who were going to leave their network since Christmas. I can't think of another big network that doesn't offer it. So Apple could quite easily sell handsets to the networks that want them and sell them sim free in their stores.

Imagine the coup though if someone got the exclusivity deal. Wow. Especially if it wasn't O2.

To rephrase to as to be clearer. If it's available PAYGO on several networks at once then 24 month contracts, therefor locking the customer into the network and allowing a long period to subsidize the cost of the phone then a 24 month contract would be pretty competitive.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd love to see a sim free iPhone, but Apples business model doesn't seem to include one (apart from area's where they can't force it through).
  • djrobmac
    djrobmac Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Wow a Rumoured 960x640 LCD screen, im wetting myself with excitement because my 800x400 AMOLED is so out of date. Oh wait, whats that, oh yes OLED is the better more advanced technology:)

cant see that 900x640 would be any real improvement unless the screen is over 4 inches if im honest, if its not OLED i will be disappointed with apple

You are joking right?

AMOLED is rubbish in bright sunlight and Apple would be stupid to use it! Give me an IPS LCD from apple any day of the week, this display will knock the socks of the competition LMAO if it is AMOLED then I aint gettin one.

7 days and counting..................
    Hardcore moneysaver
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    bloaty wrote: »
    Do you have any more info on highlight above please?

My contract has just finished and now got a 12 mths Simplicity i-phone Sim only contract. Do you know if video calls are included with this contract please?

If you have a 2010 IPhone tariff i.e it has unlimited texts then the video calling is included. If you have the older one i.e 1200 texts then its not.
  • cactusdust
    cactusdust Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ukbill69 wrote: »
    I can say it wont be on pay as you go for months even a year. Sim free, about £550-600 I should think.

Oh, really?! I hadn't realised- I assumed the PAYG phones were released at the same time as the contract ones.

Is that not the case?
  • Nostromo
    Nostromo Posts: 430 Forumite
    Options
    The 3GS was released on PAYG from the start last year on O2 as did Orange when they started selling them.I would imagine the same for these 2 networks again.Vodafone however dont do PAYG as yet maybe they will offer it this time around.
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    djrobmac wrote: »
    You are joking right?

AMOLED is rubbish in bright sunlight and Apple would be stupid to use it! Give me an IPS LCD from apple any day of the week, this display will knock the socks of the competition LMAO if it is AMOLED then I aint gettin one.

7 days and counting..................

Your joking right, its becoming quite common now for AMOLED screens to perform better or as good as TFT-LCD screens now so your point is outdated and without backing (at least now with current and future AMOLED technology).

And its also been written that apple have opted for this option due to the fact that AMOLED manufacturers are all booked up and wouldnt be able to supply apple with the numbers they require in the time scale they demand.

So because apple are so impatient, theyre willing to ship out something that is sub standard (to what it could have been).

Some sources that seem to agree with me

http://www.oled-info.com/nexus-one-sunlight-actually-better-droid
    http://www.oled-info.com/samsungs-omnia-ii-vs-nokias-n900-direct-sunlight
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-super-amoled-sunlight-screen,news-5843.html
    http://www.samsungblog.co.za/blog/samsungteam/2009/05/what-oled-and-amoled

Note that the nexus has the same screen as the desire so your point proves rather moot with todays AMOLED technology. I think your a fool and like others, Mr Jobs has you over a barrel if he and others have led you to believe LCD is superior.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair to Apple the rumours usggest it's going to be an IPS LCD screen which is pretty much the best LCD technology available. I have to say the AMOLED on the Desire is superb but it does struggle sowmehat in bright sunlight. The viewing angles and colours reproduction are great though.

it's all moot until the phone is announced though as no-one actually knows what is going to be in it.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cactusdust wrote: »
    Oh, really?! I hadn't realised- I assumed the PAYG phones were released at the same time as the contract ones.

Is that not the case?

I can't see Apple wanting to lose out on the payg market.

And also the people on contract that just want a new iPhone while not in the upgrade window and who just buy them on payg and stick their contract sim in it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure