Great 'Singles' Holidays' Hunt

Comments

• Before I was 'familied up' I travelled quite a bit on my own, sometimes with a tour operator and sometimes without. When I went to Nepal I only managed to get a fortnight off work so decided it would just be more practical to travel in a small group (my first time!) and picked Imaginative Traveller's Annapurna & Chitwan adventure. I shared a room with a lovely lady who was also travelling on her own and had seemingly been around the world with the company so was a very easy going room-mate.

Another company I really rate is The Adventure Company, who also don't penalise you if you're travelling alone and are happy to go for the twin-share option. Again, I didn't really think Egypt's deserts were the kind of places you could (or sensibly should) easily explore without company so I went on their Desert Explorer trip.

The date I chose was actually a special 'solo departure' which I was initially a little unsure about. It worked really well in the end though as, despite being different ages, we all had our passion / obsession for adventure in common which meant the group gelled brilliantly over the week (no couples versus singles splinter groups!) and we had a good laugh over the evening campfires. I don't think romance blossomed for anyone under the stars but a couple of us are still in touch, whilst is always a good sign.

We're now even considering one of The Adventure Company's family holidays this September as, even though Daisy won't be quite three yet, my husband and I are determined to reclaim our former adventurous spirit so are tempted to try their Magical Morocco infant holiday! A two-year old trekking in the Atlas Mountains... This I have to see!

:D
  • idle5
    idle5 Posts: 4 Newbie
    I used to do a number of Adventura trips but when they went under :mad: I took up of a free membership offer from Spice :T because they had a good range of holidays but also local stuff I could do. The advantage I've found is not having to pay a single supplement - sometimes I like my own space but others it's good to share and also save a bit of money! The other great thing is I can still travel with quality tour operators like Exodus and Solo's but on exclusive Spice departures!

You do need to be a member of Spice to book the holidays (£12 a month) but I'm finding that this cost is easily being saved on the discount I'm finding on most of the holidays anyway. Google Spice and check them out - nothing to lose!:D
  • clearvisor
    clearvisor Posts: 150 Forumite
    alibongo54 wrote: »
    I have just come back from Turkey - Dalyan with Travel One - excellant holiday. The hotel had 31 bungalows and on arrival the rep introduced us to one another and then its up to you if you wish to go out and about with other people or spend time on your own. Every Breakfast and evening the group met up for meals.
    I would say to anyone who has never travelled alone before that is slightly apprehensive - dont be you will meet some nice people, some will be like you on their first holiday abroad some will have done it for years.
    I would highly recommend this company.
    Another company is Friendship Travel but I have not travelled with them so I am unable to comment.

Alison
    thanks for the info, are there any links I can use as being a female oap Im not having much luck finding any cheap\ hols, If there is anyone who would like to share with me,or i can be a buddy to some one, that would be nice,or if you know of a company who needs buddys please let me know, thank you so much,
  • clearvisor
    Id be only too pleased to share a holiday with someone who needs help,but need time to sort things out here, just get in touch, thanks
  • clearvisor
    Idle, Hello, Is there a link to spice and explorer please,Being in age 60s would there be others this age group,thanks
  • anoushka80
    anoushka80 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi all,

as a single + slightly disabled holidaymaker I find it really difficult (double trouble!!). does anyone know of any websites that match holiday companions? or even where you can find a 'friend' to share?
    crafty carrot (who is def in need of a holiday!!)

I went on a Jubilee Sailing Trust (google JST) holiday where we helped sail a tall ship from Liverpool to Dublin and back to Swansea, about 5 days. They offer a wide range of different itineraries including the Canaries if you want more sun!

The great thing about it is they pair up abled-bodied and disabled people in a 'buddy' system - and the ship is specially adapted so that everyone can have a go at everything, there's no excuse!! You have to be prepared for some hard work and getting up at 4am for a watch though! But it is a brilliant experience and I had loads of fun.
    "Sealed Pot Challenge 5" #1642
  • Lolstoo
    Lolstoo Posts: 11 Forumite
    clearvisor wrote: »
    Idle, Hello, Is there a link to spice and explorer please,Being in age 60s would there be others this age group,thanks

As I am quite a new member on the forum I am not yet permitted to post links but if you do the usual www. then spiceuk then .com you can find it and there are people of all ages :T
  • zips
    zips Posts: 1 Newbie
    Ginger I was in same boat as you.. friend of mine bought me a years membership in spice *you can serach there web site just type in spiceuk and you will find it* and ive never loooked back. Been a memebr about 8 years and done over 12 holidays with them and never had a bad one. Been to some amazing places, made some great frineds and done over 200 weekends / long weekends away with them.. well worth a look.. have fun! :rotfl:
  • Hi,

I am 23 and am looking for a singles holiday with people of a similar age as none of my friends are into the same sorts of holidays as me (sight seeing/adventure as opposed to getting drunk every day and night) . Can anyone recommend a company that would suit me?

• Mich81
    Mich81 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Hi,

I am 23 and am looking for a singles holiday with people of a similar age as none of my friends are into the same sorts of holidays as me (sight seeing/adventure as opposed to getting drunk every day and night) . Can anyone recommend a company that would suit me?

Would definitely recommend Trek America if you want to visit the US/Canada

Some of the treks are more geared towards cities and partying, others are mainly national parks and hiking/activites, and then there's some that are a mix of both. The majority of people travel alone, and then you've got the camping holidays (which are cheaper) or lodging holidays if you don't fancy camping - though I will say that the campsites over there are 10x better than those over here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure