Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

working children paying keep - how much?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
345 replies 61.4K views

Replies

• mshappymshappy Forumite
    806 Posts
    I'm 18 and I only moved out of my parents about 8 weeks ago.I paid £120 a month there,I have now moved in with my sister in to the city and I pay £200 here plus food.
    2012 wins! can of deodorant, a personalised Bean, craft show tickets, Top Gear Live Tickets, Case of sourz fusion
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically.. aim for 1/3 of whatever he's earning

Funnily enough thats exactly what my Dad many, many years ago!
  • LouBlueLouBlue Forumite
    53.5K Posts
    As soon as me and my 2 sisters were earning, we gave mum 25% of our monthly take home. We never complained about it, we knew she didn't get much from our dad, and how hard she worked, but even if she was more well off, we would have still paid it. It also helped us, when we did move out, as we weren't going from rent free or practically rent free, to suddenly the harsh reality.
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition
    ~ William Arthur Ward ~
  • poohbear59poohbear59 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    LouBlue wrote: »
    As soon as me and my 2 sisters were earning, we gave mum 25% of our monthly take home. We never complained about it, we knew she didn't get much from our dad, and how hard she worked, but even if she was more well off, we would have still paid it. It also helped us, when we did move out, as we weren't going from rent free or practically rent free, to suddenly the harsh reality.

Oh how I wish my sons agreed with you. I am struggling to get £20 a week from each of them towards food, general groceries and bills.
    Grocery challenge £35/£200 business mortgage £13798))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £7116=Total of £20914, 69% paid off was £68105 Weight to lose [STRIKE]42lbs[/STRIKE] 0 to go!! :D PPI claimed and received £13527 Save 12k in 2017no 116. £0/5000
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • gaz_jonesgaz_jones Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    When I was living at home (last year) I was paying my mum £100 p/m and my girlfriend who was also living with us gave her £100. I was earning about £700 take home per month similar to my gf.

Every couple of months I would try to give her an extra £50 just for charging so little. Sometimes she took it othertimes didnt. Guess it all depended what bills she had that month.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • LouBlueLouBlue Forumite
    53.5K Posts
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    Oh how I wish my sons agreed with you. I am struggling to get £20 a week from each of them towards food, general groceries and bills.

Goodness me, just keep telling yourself...they will NEVER move out if that continues! :eek:;)

Of course, we all knew mum was struggling a bit so we didn't mind at all paying, but even if we had parents that weren't struggling, I think its a good idea to help your 'children' start realising how much things cost, you can always put it by for them if you don't need it, then let them have it when they need help towards a deposit or something like that.
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition
    ~ William Arthur Ward ~
  • I am hoping someone can advise me, my daughter is 15 and pregnant!! I will look after her and the baby as long as they need me to, but my problem is how much should she give me? i receive tax credits, and am struggling gto pay the mortgage. She has been told that when she has the baby she will get £120 per week, but my claim for her will stop. Therefore I will lose £50 per week, and she thinks if i take any money off her, im greedy!!! Is there anyone in a similar position, so I can show her the posts? She says she has friends in the same position who dont pay their parents anything, I wish i could do this, but cant!!!
  • Personally, I would take pretty much all of that off her. If she has decided to have a child she has to be responsible for it. I would take at least £80 espescially if you are buying baby food etc, aswell as normal household costs.
    Loving the dtd thread. x
  • markelockmarkelock Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    agree with arthur. it's (unfortunately) time for her to take responsibilities over and above just having a child (as if that's not enough!!!)

if she thinks it's greedy, maybe she could calculate how much it would cost her to do it on her own.

I wouldn't advocate this as being an ultimatum, just something to suggest in a calm manner, at the right time.

she's hanging around with the wrong people. Personally, I'd rather not pay tax for the benefit of those who choose not to work, because they will receive a subsidy for it (I'm not knocking you btw)

best of luck
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • The £120 pw is presumably so your daughter can feed, clothe and house herself and the baby.......if she is expecting you to cover any of those outgoings (clearly she is) then appropriate contribution must be made........I am sure the benefit was never intended as pocket money!

She needs to commend you for supporting her in the way that you are, rather than looking upon you as being greedy.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals