Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

working children paying keep - how much? - Page 29

New Post Advanced Search

working children paying keep - how much?

345 replies 61.4K views

Replies

• IdiophreakIdiophreak Forumite
    12K posts
    What hasn't been mentioned is paying off student debts.
    If I had paid my parents a third of my take home pay as board when I came home from University I never would have cleared my overdraft, credit card bills and money I owed them in the time that I did.

I was gonna say something similar...I know it's not strictly applicable to the OP in this thread, but as a general notion, it's worth remembering, I guess, that a lot of the young people living with their folks these days will be those who've gone to university and come back. These people don't need the "life lessons" so many on this thread seem to be pushing, they just need support while they get their debts sorted and can afford to get out on their own.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    a lot of the young people living with their folks these days will be those who've gone to university and come back. These people don't need the "life lessons"
    Yes, the "life lessons" have (hopefully) been learnt. The choice between spending your money on beer or food, for example (no right or wrong answer to that one, imo). And that even when you've got a job lined up, credit card spending mounts up quickly (d'oh!).
  • moggylovermoggylover Forumite
    13.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katfishh wrote: »
    I am dissapointed in these spiteful remarks. I want to work flexibly so I can travel, and I'm hardly ever at home as I'm always out so I dont feel I should have to do any housework as I dont make the mess. Shes at work all day but so am I - and she is used to it and i'm not. Incidently she does not travel 3hours each way, its 3 hours total each day. its not that far but the London traffic is bad. Again. not my fault shes tired.

I never said I didn't appreciate her but I started working when I was 18 part time and she wanted to take some of that off me towards bills and stuff - but I wouldn't. I earned £900 a month and she wanted £35 per week as she says I'm high maintenance!

I just feel that shes always trying to hijack my money. Now shes really pushing me for it and say I have to either start paying or leave. I've negotiated it down now to £50 pw but still thnk I'm being robbed as I'm never there!!

Have yet to pay. heh he he :D

Do not feed the ugly little troll!
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
    13.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katfishh wrote: »
    Well I think shes stingey. she even says I have to pay a reduced amount when I go on holiday as she says that the bills still go on even if I'm not there. But I wont be using the gas or watching the TV so why should I pay. You can all critisise but you dont know the situation. I wouldn't live here if I could leave as shes so unreasonable.

've seen suggestions that I should do house work to get money off but dont have time to help around the house as I work. I do the washing up on a Saturday morning but she does nothing and my washing has been in the laundry basket for weeks. She makes herself look busy but doesn't do anything.

Dont see how you lot can criticise me how would you feel about paying towards council tax/phone/etc if you were on holiday!!! Its so unfair. cant wait to leave and when I do she will never see any of her grandchildren when i'm married.

NO more comments thanks! I just wanted a bit of support as I am being treated so unfairly. :mad:

Er Kat, what do you think the rest of us do when we go on hols (not that I have had one in 20 years mind) do we ring up the mortgage company and say "I'm not paying for two weeks cos I will not be there", do we ask the Council for a rebate cos we will not be there? Okay, we are not using the Gas of Leccy so we will pay them slightly less - but the standing charges do still apply - or do you think we have the phone disconnected whilst we are away!

University education was wasted on you - you appear to be totally stupid if you think we all get a discount of a couple of weeks off our bills just cos we go on holiday.

Do your mum a HUGE favour - move out! And please do not breed! The World has enough spoilt and selfish people and it could be genetic!

Dear God, what an AWFUL person!
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
    13.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter is at Uni and does some part time work tofund her horse and all that owning a horse entails and running a car and limited social life.
    She did house share for her first year Paid £300 a month) but has struggled financially so is returning home to live - as I work very long hours we agreed that she would do all the housework ( she is much tidier than me !:o for her board .she will also pay for her calls on the phone and half of sky( her request to have sky again)

Do people think this is fair? or should i ask her for a little amount of say £15 for her food and electric etc . Dont want to make it too hard for her and want to support her so she doesnt have to work loads of hours to enable her to study to get better grades this week but need to be realisitic too.

She will get some of the loans/grants but my salary has increased so she wont get as much as last year. i am trying to pay off my credit cards too so dont want additional expense from daughter to impact on this :confused:

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me - and as long as she is better off than she was on house-share then doesn't sound as if she will mind.
    (Herman Melville)
    13.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    I am struggling finacially at the moment and have asked my two sons who are working to pay a contribution towards their keep. Because they have an older brother who is a student and not paying for his keep they won't either. Apart from the cost of living rising, they also use much more electricity now that they have bought new equipment with their pay. Also I have now lost out on CTC and CB and am over £300 a month down on money coming in. I am at my wits end struggling to manage the finances. I don't know how much they earn to even ask for a third towards living costs. My DD paid us £120 per month when she was working 3 days a week and also bought shopping too. I have just remorgaged to do house extension and I don't want that to disappear on groceries and fuel bills.

Sorry, as I seem to be moaning a lot but just needed to tell someone as DH just buries his head in the sand.

Ask them to leave then. Or turn the leccy off each time they want to use it!

I think it must be a generation thing - cos I certainly would not have begrudged paying my own way at home once I left home. It was part of feeling "grown-up" for me!
    (Herman Melville)
    13.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    I was gonna say something similar...I know it's not strictly applicable to the OP in this thread, but as a general notion, it's worth remembering, I guess, that a lot of the young people living with their folks these days will be those who've gone to university and come back. These people don't need the "life lessons" so many on this thread seem to be pushing, they just need support while they get their debts sorted and can afford to get out on their own.

But they are still adults and need to contribute to the cost of their own keep!
    (Herman Melville)
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    moggylover wrote: »
    There are two different scenarios.
    1. The parents can't afford the increase in food / energy bills caused by adult children living at home.
    2. The parents can afford it.

In the case of scenario 1 there is no alternative but for the adult children to pay their way.

But in the case of 2 it is up to the parents to determine how it is best to help their children.
    Sometimes this help will be charging them significant board to show them how the real-world works.
    But sometimes it will be charging them peppercorn board, if that means the child is able to clear their legitimately incurred (e.g. student) debt.
  • IdiophreakIdiophreak Forumite
    12K posts
    moggylover wrote: »

Of course they should...that's not under dispute...but if I were to give my parents a third of my takehome each month, I think I'd cover my costs to them about 4 times over - at which point it isn't contributing to my keep, it's just forking loads of money over to my parents...
  • TimmneTimmne Forumite
    2.6K posts
    .....and seeing what it's like to live like an adult, in the real world!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support