Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

working children paying keep - how much? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

working children paying keep - how much?

345 replies 59.7K views

Replies

• Gordon_the_MoronGordon_the_Moron Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on how many people live in the house, how much it costs to run, does she buy her own food, how much do you expect her to do for the £50 discount?
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think £100 per month sounds reasonable and the penalty for not helping out sounds like a great idea, although in practice could be difficult to implement seeing as most parents are a push over for a sob story:rotfl:

As to how many people and how much it costs to run the house, seems a bit irrelevant as £25 per week is by no means the actual cost of keeping ones daughter.. it is I think a necessary tool that will start teaching your daughter about the 'real world' where things cost... its obvious that she has the beginnings of a good work ethic, (I hope) and as she is only earning a small salary the percentage you are asking for seems fair...

I do have to say that were it me and money was not an issue I would try to save the £100 for her as a deposit for her first rental flat... I wish I had been able to do this for my son but it was not to be...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • I think it should be either nothing or 5% of their take home pay.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    27.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with black-saturn.
    In my mind 20% is a fair figure so £100 would be ok in my opinion.
    I would forget the other bit of the original post - if she doesn't do her share of houesework then stop cooking ,washing and ironing for her and tell her to do it herself.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • steady__eddiesteady__eddie Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭
    I am in more or less the same stuation as ac89, daughter has just finished A levels and is having a gap year until Uni next year. She has no outgoings except for £30/month for her life support system to O2. Her part time earnings vary roundabout £250/month. Her mother insists that she should contribute nothing as we have "managed alright up until now" but I have suggested a token contribution as hopefully this will help to "teach her the value of money" and how to learn to allocate her resources successfully.
    I look forward to your replies in order that I can pursue my own case.
  • I think £100 is LESS than you should be charging her! I had to pay £80 every 4 weeks and that was 9 years ago! And I was on £400 a month at the time.......yes the cost of living was less, food etc, but I was always called the daughter that lived upstairs and hoovered the fridge as I could eat.....and eat.....and eat.....£20 a week only just covered the food never mind my share of the bills........................
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • GardenMillieGardenMillie Forumite
    274 posts
    ✭✭
    I think £100 is fair for the month, if they were renting or paying a mortgage it would be much more than that and it will get them into the way of budgeting (hopefully).
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My children are both fulltime students so I don't take anything from them from their part time or holiday earnings but i do expect them to do a share of the cooking, washing etc. My son has stayed in his student house anyway this summer as he has a job there that pays more than he could earn around here so it doesn't apply.

I would suggest about 20% of their earnings as reasonable and they should be buying all their own toiletries etc ( cos they get through loads of shower gel and shampoo don't they? )

To steady-eddie I would say stand your ground because as a student she will need to be aware of budgetting to get through uni with minimum debts, maybe you can compromise and take some money and put half away to match her savings for uni? Keep it quiet though or she will have no incentive to save herself.

A friend of my son had a disagreement with his mum about the cost of living, she wanted £50 per week from his fulltime wages, he found out that the cost of renting a grotty room nearby was over £50 and realised he was on a good thing with his mum feeding him and doing his washing.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • shellsuitshellsuit Forumite
    24.8K posts
    When I was 17 (13 years ago), I earnt £88 a week in my full time job and gave my parents £30 a week!

They didn't ask for that amount, I just thought it was fair to pay that much.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mate of mine charged his eldest 1/4 (4 in the house) of all bills except the mortgage - apparently (at the time) it was surprisingly low
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support