🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The debt free journey of an easily distracted Moog

Options

Comments

• LittleMoog
    LittleMoog Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    Just back from my lunchtime run and now look a bit like this :mad: only not so cross :p I'm really lucky to work on the site of an old country house, and we're surrounded by fields and woods which are owned by the estate.
    I'm taking part in the "timetrial" race on Tuesday, which is a handicap race run each month by the site running club, the str1ders. The slowest runners (me!) set off first, and the faster ones try and catch up. In theory we should all finish at the same time, but last month, which was my first one, I was about 15 minutes behind everyone else in the beginner's group. :o We started our training in January, and in the first week we did run for 2 mins, walk 2 mins three times and we were all knackered! We have all come a long way, but everyone else seems to have got faster than me! Managed to run the whole course without stopping today, 4 miles in 53 minutes, a massive achievement for me, even if I am a bit slow. Only 3 weeks to go til the 5 mile race, and it looks like I'm not going to reach my target of completing the race in under 1 hour. That will have to be my target for later in the year I think.

I'm going to the running shop tomorrow to have my gait analysed and possibly buy some new running shoes, mine are too tight and my toes keep going numb. I know it's not very MSE, but I've got £75 of quidco money waiting to be paid out, so I'm going to spend that on trainers. I'm worried that I might damage my foot if I don't get better fitting shoes. :o
    Little monkey born November 2012:j
    Froglet due March 2016 :D
  • LittleMoog
    Options
    Hooray for the long weekend! Family bbq at home tomorrow with 3 of my sisters and my nieces, though the weather doesn't look too good, typical bh weekend ;)

Currently enjoying a big glass of lovely cold wine and chilling out. Contemplating heading off for a bath with my book shortly, bliss! :)

Just reminded myself to mention one of my other goals for the summer: to read all the unread books on my shelves, and thin them out before we move.
    We have two full sized bookshelves double stacked with books, and while many are old favourites, which will definitely be kept, there are plenty of random purchases waiting to be read and passed on.

Getting rid of books is a bit of a sticking point with me, I lost all my childhood books (another 2 bookcases full :eek:) when I moved in with my aunt and uncle :( Many of those books belonged to my Mum, and are no longer in print, and I always imagined passing them onto my kids, like she passed them on to me. Now have a tendancy to obsessively browse 2nd hand book shops and stalls looking for replacements but it's slow going!

Maybe i'll make a list of all my unread books this weekend so i can cross them off as i go.
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    This morning did you feel like telling your colleague/mad driver to pull over and hand you the keys so you could drive and ensure you made it to work in one piece? I think I would have been sorely tempted!!

Well done on your running, I can tell you aren't happy with yourself but to be able to run 4 miles is an accomplishment in itself :). I woiuld love to have the stamina to run a 5k but at the moment I think 50m would kill me :(. I have heard Asics do really good running shoes and if you intend to carry it on it is really worth buying a decent pair.

The bbq sounds great and I hope the weather holds out for you, I think it is supposed to rain here as well, great!

Take it easy :D

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • OrangeFairy
    OrangeFairy Posts: 2,630 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello Jules!

Loving the diary! It is fantastic that you have such well laid out plans. I have similar plans in wanting to be DF and buy a house. Also am sure i want to try for a baby next year (money permitting) though the only difference being i have two little ladies already!

I will carry on reading your diary with interest

Oh one of my weaknesses is cheese too. I love it!!! Trying to be good though as i want to fit in a much smaller wedding dress! :D

Good luck - i hope you find all the motivation you need on these boards xx
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 :) CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

• LittleMoog
    Options
    jtr2803 wrote: »
    This morning did you feel like telling your colleague/mad driver to pull over and hand you the keys so you could drive and ensure you made it to work in one piece? I think I would have been sorely tempted!!

Well done on your running, I can tell you aren't happy with yourself but to be able to run 4 miles is an accomplishment in itself :). I woiuld love to have the stamina to run a 5k but at the moment I think 50m would kill me :(. I have heard Asics do really good running shoes and if you intend to carry it on it is really worth buying a decent pair.

The bbq sounds great and I hope the weather holds out for you, I think it is supposed to rain here as well, great!

Take it easy :D

I was a bit apprehensive about the journey home, but it was all fine. I think part of the problem is that she was learning for over 10 years, so she's used to someone giving her directions and doesn't really pay attention to the road properly. I know she uses her tomtom on days when I'm not in, even though she's been driving the route for 2 months and been a passenger for almost 2 years!

It's weird with the running, I'm actually dead chuffed that I can run for so long now. Last year I did the race for life, and though I went running 2/3 times a week, I never got to the point of being able to run without stopping, because I didn't build up like we have this year. On the day of my race, i was so disappointed that i couldn't run the whole thing.
    Now I regularly run the 3 mile course at work at lunch, and i'm really pleased with that :) I suppose I just find it a bit disheartening that I haven't improved at the same rate as everyone else in the beginners group. I'm always trailing along behind them!! I am a lot more unfit and overweight than everyone else though, so i'm sure my pace will improve in time if i keep training and losing weight. I'm currently running 13.5 mins/mile, but I need to do 12 to finish the 5 in 1 hour, and everyone else in my group can do 10-11 mins/mile!
  • LittleMoog
    Options
    littlekel wrote: »
    Hello Jules!

Loving the diary! It is fantastic that you have such well laid out plans. I have similar plans in wanting to be DF and buy a house. Also am sure i want to try for a baby next year (money permitting) though the only difference being i have two little ladies already!

I will carry on reading your diary with interest

Oh one of my weaknesses is cheese too. I love it!!! Trying to be good though as i want to fit in a much smaller wedding dress! :D

Good luck - i hope you find all the motivation you need on these boards xx

Hiya, thanks for popping in

I really like being able to lay all my plans out here, it makes me more determined to stick to my goals. :)

Good luck with the wedding diet. I didn't try to lose weight for ours and i wish i had now. I randomly lost half a stone in the week before the wedding though, I think i was just too excited to eat and sleep! I still looked great in the photos though as I was just so happy and it really shines through :) (plus my sister laced my corset so tight that I couldn't really breathe/eat while sitting, but it looked fab :p)

In fact as of this week i'm the same weight as i was then, yay! Maybe i'll get my dress out and prance around the house in it now it fits again ;) hopefully it soon won't fit cos my weight's going in the right direction!
  • LittleMoog
    Options
    Why is it that during the week my alarms start going off at 6 and I often don't really become aware that I'ce been snoozing them until 645, 15 mins after i need to get up, but at the weekend i'm wide awake at 615?! I think my own brain is working against me!
  • OrangeFairy
    OrangeFairy Posts: 2,630 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the week i sometimes have to wake DD's up to get ready for school/preschool yet at the weekend they are up nice and jolly at 7am! Thanks kids! :D
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 :) CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

• LittleMoog
    Options
    Just back from the running shop, got some fab new trainers, and great service from the staff. :)
    I normally hate shoe shopping as I have size 8 feet which are really wide, but this was great. They analysed my running style by filming my feet on a treadmill and then suggested 4 different shoes. Managed not to buy the £130 ones, even though they were soooo comfy! Bought an £85 pair as they were the second best. Looking forward to trying then out tomorrow :) off to make a salad for the bbq, try and make the sun come out by making summery food ;)
  • LittleMoog
    Options
    Just back from family bbq, lovely time had by all. no actual bbqing though, due to the revolting weather :( still we had sausages, burgers, kebabs and salad, so it felt summery. As suspected sister no 2 stole all the cuddle time with niece no 2, so will have to arrange to meet up with sister no 4 to get lovely baby cuddles on another occasion! Spent lots of time playing with niece no 1, so don't mind too much really! :D Think my sibling notation system might confuse me before too long though. ;)

Off to bed shortly, going to try and get out for a run first thing and try out my new shoes. *does a little paolo nutini dance*
    Also on my list for tomorrow:
    1) tidy up the flat, it's a tip!
    2) sort through boxes containing 2 years worth of unfiled paperwork. :eek:
    3) sort the bookshelves and make a list of unread books.

That should keep me busy for a while!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business