Warning about Fires Galore.

Options
Just a quick warning in case anyone is thinking of ordering a fireplace. Do not order from fires galore (https://www.firesgalore.co.uk). I placed an order several weeks ago and upon hearing nothing from them tried to get into contact last week. The sales number redirected to an insolvency practitioner who said they were going into insolvency and I would not receive my fireplace.

Thankfully I paid by Visa so can claim my money back, but it looks like they're still operating the website and the sales line (which has incidentally changed) now refers to no problems.

Be careful, very careful.

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • paullavis
    Options
    John thats interesting, I ordered a fire from there 9 days ago. This hasnt come so I called the mobile on the website yesterday and spoke to a lady called Corinne. She claimed that they had just bought fires galore at the end of last week and that they werent sure if this order was pre this time or post this time. It was later in the day and so she advised a call back at 0830 this morning when she was in the office.

No call, now this line is disabled and so is the landline I found on the internet.

I paid with a visa debit, what can I do???
  • mikkykitten
    mikkykitten Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2010 at 4:01PM
    Options
    paullavis wrote: »
    John thats interesting, I ordered a fire from there 9 days ago. This hasnt come so I called the mobile on the website yesterday and spoke to a lady called Corinne. She claimed that they had just bought fires galore at the end of last week and that they werent sure if this order was pre this time or post this time. It was later in the day and so she advised a call back at 0830 this morning when she was in the office.

No call, now this line is disabled and so is the landline I found on the internet.

I paid with a visa debit, what can I do???

Having had the same problem i did get a reply by email from the new website owners and the said::
    "
    Good morning,

Please contact Rhys Wordsworth of Walsh Taylor on 0871 222 8308. The company that owned Firesgalore at the time of your order has gone into liquidation.
    We have just bought Firesgalore domain name and website. Please contact the liquidators to be advised of the procedure you need to follow.

Kind regards"

I rang the number which connects you with the office secretary, and she put me through to Nicola Smith instead of Rhys. Very helpful and she posted forms off yesterday afternoon. Mum received them this morning but they are quite confusing (she is in north wales and i cant get away from cornwall to help her for 2 weeks due to my shift work). But i got Mum to ring her bank (HSBC) yesterday who are sending a form to her to complete and sign and have stated as it was paid with Visa they will reimburse the £305.50. she is eldery and just getting over chemo...so hopefully the bank option and help will be the easiest for her as she gets really confused and upsed trying to navigate through the options on these helplines at the bank.

So may i suggest anybody else having probs get hold of the above number ASAP as Nicola stated final liquidation and representation at that meeting will take place on the 8th June.

good luck...Mikky
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    post #5 by hezitate passed to abuse
  • mikkykitten
    Options
    i have also sent info to SagePay about the problems. asked them to stop anymore payments being processed via that site as they are the active card clearance people....would not want anybody else to trip into the problems of no fire and no refund. dont know when the site will be taken down...
  • waqas
    waqas Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I ordered from these guys [FONT=&quot]on 08/04/10 but my order did not arrive and they said it would take longer as they need to order the parts. I waited a week but they said it will still take longer so cancelled the order. Oddly enough they said it would take 30 days for a refund.

Telephoned a few days ago and they said that the company was in liquidation, telephoned [/FONT]insolvency practitioner who said that they could not give my money back.
    I paid by Visa Debit, and went to my bank, the lady said they can’t do much and filled a fraud form and said we’ll see where we go.
    Can I get me money back? What should I do?
    Thanks
  • mikkykitten
    Options
    waqas wrote: »
    Hi, I ordered from these guys [FONT=&quot]on 08/04/10 but my order did not arrive and they said it would take longer as they need to order the parts. I waited a week but they said it will still take longer so cancelled the order. Oddly enough they said it would take 30 days for a refund.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Telephoned a few days ago and they said that the company was in liquidation, telephoned [/FONT]insolvency practitioner who said that they could not give my money back.
    I paid by Visa Debit, and went to my bank, the lady said they can’t do much and filled a fraud form and said we’ll see where we go.
    Can I get me money back? What should I do?
    Thanks

you ordered on the 8th? well the company applied for insolvency/liquidation on the 7 May 2010. So by rights they should not have processed your order after they had stopped trading and therefore can only suggest you woul be right to claim for fraudulent debit of your card. Today i received from Mum via the post, the documentation from Walsh Taylor. It clearly states therein that application was made and signed and dated the 7th May 2010, by John Hughes

hope this helps....Mikky
  • waqas
    waqas Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    you ordered on the 8th? well the company applied for insolvency/liquidation on the 7 May 2010. So by rights they should not have processed your order after they had stopped trading and therefore can only suggest you woul be right to claim for fraudulent debit of your card. Today i received from Mum via the post, the documentation from Walsh Taylor. It clearly states therein that application was made and signed and dated the 7th May 2010, by John Hughes

hope this helps....Mikky

Hi, it was the 8th of April though, not May.

As they never sent or even dispatched the goods and charged me, do I not have any protection under the SGA?
  • mikkykitten
    Options
    oh sorry, i misread your post. look like they have been in trouble a while..i notice the website is still capable of taking orders by the looks of it...lets just hope we can get our banks to refund us.
  • mikkykitten
    edited 26 May 2010 at 3:33PM
    Options
    just been doing a lil more reading before i set off for work (last night then a cupple day of :) )

hxxp://www2.visaeurope.com/contact/main.jsp?src=home_page

is interesting reading...site states>>

Q: Does Visa offer me any protection if I am unhappy with a transaction?

A: There is no safer way to pay than with a Visa card. If you are an innocent victim of fraud, do not receive goods or services you have ordered, if the goods are lost or if you received the wrong goods, you can get your money back (subject to your bank’s terms and conditions).

To start the process you need to contact your issuing bank and explain what happened. This facility applies to all cards issued by Visa but not to all non-Visa cards.

If your bank representative is not familiar with the scheme you need to tell them you are asking them to pursue a ‘chargeback’ through the Visa system.

I have sent mums forms from Walsh Taylor back..i think that the bank would be interested in that. anyway mum far too poorly to attend even if she could. I have included all the email communication of confirmation of order and the Sagepay confirmation page. She should get it tomorrow then complete the claim form she received from HSBC, post them all off and hopefully be reimbursed quickly..... i am now emailing Black Ram Web Site services advising them of the liquidation asking for them to shut the site down. am still concerned people could place orders
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure