PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

cheap cuts of meat that can be slow cooked

Options

Comments

• Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beef skirt is beautiful in the SC. Tesco often call it 'pasty meat' and it is very cheap.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi kindofagilr,

I find most cheap cuts of meat are great in the slow cooker as they are really suited to the long slow cooking, but I avoid very fatty meats like pork belly, breast of lamb, duck don't work so well.

This thread has lots of suggestions of different cuts of meats that may help:

cheaper cuts of meat

Pink
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know you said not chicken but this is lovely. Chicken legs, tin of chopped tomatoes, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, a good pinch of mixed herbs and a twist of black pepper. Its scrummy. Buy the Mr T's Value mixed herbs for 50p or Aldi's/Lidl's again about the same price and you don't need a lot. A pack of 10 chicken legs is 1.99.

Also liver cooked in a SC in vegetable stock with chopped onion is nice
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Willowx wrote: »
    If you do go with the gammon in coke option I have never made it but have read on hear that you must use standard ie full sugar not diet fizzy although I am not sure of the reason. I also recall people recommending ginger beer.

Hi :)

the sweeteners in diet coke degrade at above 70 degrees celcius, which your slo-cooker will rise above. It will not be toxic, but the sweeteners will go bitter :(

IIRC, splenda is the only sweetener that withstands temperature well. HTH xxx

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Nearly forgot about these but what about the big monster turkey legs you can buy from Asda & Tesco for about £1.30 each.We used to eat these quite a lot when I was in Germany for Sunday lunch.
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    Apple juice is even better than coke :D

It certainly is! It turns out spectacular :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 June 2010 at 6:27PM
    Options
    I did a ham hock in our SC last week. You can find ham hocks for anything from £2.30 to £2.60 each, I've never paid more than that for one. The ham just fell off the bone. I served half of it with new potatoes & home made parsley sauce with parsley from the garden. It was gorgeous. The stock left in the SC, I put that, the bones, a scoop of yellow split peas & some chopped onions, carrots & red pepper back in the SC the next day for 8 hrs on low, took out the bones, liquidised about a third of it & added it to the rest & that gave us a nearly free soup for the freezer. The other half of the ham was chopped & used to make 2 pasta bakes. I don't think 4 days of meals out of £2.50 worth of meat is bad tho' I bet there'll be people on here who can stretch it even further.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi one of the advantages of using a slow cooker is from what I understand is being able to use cheaper cuts of meat. So when I go to the supermarket or butchers what should I be looking for ? Thanks
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • rmiller
    rmiller Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    I just ask the butchers for a cheaper meat and I explain that I'm using a slow cooker. If you have a good relationship with the butcher ask them to save small left overs of meat. I just through them in together to make various stews and casseroles and it's normally really cheap as they want to get rid of the left overs!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    viv0147 wrote: »
    Hi one of the advantages of using a slow cooker is from what I understand is being able to use cheaper cuts of meat. So when I go to the supermarket or butchers what should I be looking for ? Thanks

That is not an advantage of a slow cooker. Cheaper cuts of meat generally require longer cooking but you don't need a slow cooker to do it.;)

Beef shin and Brisket are good cheap beef cuts.
    Pork belly is good and has loads of flavour.
    Chicken legs are very cheap compared to breasts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport