PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

cheap cuts of meat that can be slow cooked

Options

Comments

• MrsCrafty
    MrsCrafty Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Options
    If you get a pork tenderloin, like a long snake bit. You can make incisions ever inch or so and put slivers of garlic in. Stick some rosemary on top and put quarters of apple onion underneath, tip a bit of cider vinegar on and roast at gas 5 for about 45 minutes. Slice thinly on the diagonal and serve with gravy made from the juice and carrot mash/chedder mash.
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options
    Mrs Crafty that sounds delicious! And within my capabilities too!

The tenderloin is big enough I can do 2 if not 3 things with it, if I were to do medalions, how thick (or thin!) should I cut them?
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd cut them between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch thick
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Theregoestrouble:hello:

Hope you got on with your cuts ok. I've added your thread to the existing one on cheap meat, for future users to find :)

Some threads which may help

Pork tenderloin

leftover roast pork - suggestions please

pork steaks/cubes need using up

roast pork shoulder

Lamp chump chops

how can i cook lamb breast?

what to do with leftover lamb

lamb shanks - recipe?

ham hock/pig hock brgain food

Most cust of meat tend to have their own thread . Here is also a link to "i searched but couldn't find anything" . Once you get the hang of searching using the advanced search, there will be no stopping you :) It is far easier than you think :)

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• funkyfish586
    funkyfish586 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, i am off to the butchers in a bit & have heard you can buy some cheap cuts of meat that are perfect for slow cooking but i have no idea what to ask for. Any ideas? x
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
  • *Chattie*
    *Chattie* Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    ask the butcher for recommendations
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your butcher is any good they will be able to advise you but any joint or cut of meat which is labelled "stewing" would be suitable. See if they have any shoulder of lamb or pork as well. Most cuts which have very little visible fat in are more suitable for roasting and/or frying.
  • falady
    falady Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    Lamb shanks and beef brisket are very good for slow cooking. :-)
    Not Buying It 2015 :)
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    Lamb shoulder or shanks, pork belly, hock or shoulder, beef brisket, shin or skirt

Shin, hock and shank are basically all the same part of the animal - the lower part of the leg. Any bit of the animal that gets lots of use is great for slow cooking to break down all those well used muscle fibres
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • wogglemaker
    wogglemaker Posts: 399 Forumite
    Options
    I've got 2 pork hocks slow cooking at the moment (de-skinned and browned off first)
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills