PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

cheap cuts of meat that can be slow cooked

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am hoping to start doing loads of meals in the SC, and I love chicken lol but OH gets sick of it when we have it all the time lol

What is the cheapest meat which still tastes lovely when cooked in the SC?

Try this older thread on meat for the SC :) I'll merge this later, to keep ideas together.
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    We've done it quite a few times, you might want to add more water if the can of coke isn't enough to cover it. The coke gives it a bit more flavour.
    It really is very tender cooked that way.

Apple juice is even better than coke :D
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • frugalsar
    frugalsar Posts: 609 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    quorn! it really absorbs all the flavours!
    Best Threads -
    greenfingered - oldstyle - grabbit
  • Claire_Bear
    Claire_Bear Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    If chicken is too expensive, try substituting with turkey, it's cheaper and leaner than chicken, as well as tasting better IMO. Just use it in exactly the same way you would use chicken. We just had a homemade turkey and veg pie tonight and it was delish
    D'you know, in 900 years of space and time, I've never met anyone who wasn't important
    The Doctor
    Taste The Rainbow :heartsmil
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    I quite like Lamb Shanks slow cooked for a few hours in the oven with puy lentils,carrots & a red wine gravy. For chicken I buy Sainsbury's basics chicken portions,you get a big 2.5kg bag of breast,thigh & drum sticks for around £3.80.Useful for anything from a curry to home made KFC.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 May 2010 at 10:21PM
    Options
    000%5C0237480000000%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Tesco rolled breast of lamb is just over £4 a kilo, perhaps that would be ok for you in the slow cooker.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I managed to buy some lamb bones a little while ago and they were from the Sainsbobs basic range and I got a huge box for around £2.SCed the lot with carrots and onions overnight and the meat fell off the bones and I made 5 single portions for my freezer and the stock that was left after I removed the bones I have in my freezer for when I next cook some stewing lamb.It was the best value I had bought for ages,but its only now and again you can get them I think Morrisons have bones sometimes for stock, and the stock you can get from Sc ovenight is amazing and an excellant base for any soups
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you do go with the gammon in coke option I have never made it but have read on hear that you must use standard ie full sugar not diet fizzy although I am not sure of the reason. I also recall people recommending ginger beer.
  • bitsandpieces
    bitsandpieces Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 May 2010 at 11:58PM
    Options
    If you can buy wild rabbit, this is good in the slow cooker (add some streaky bacon so there's a bit of fat). It's about the cheapest wild/free range meat you'll find - I've bought them for under £3 per bunny.

Belly pork is good and often cheap. Also, tesco often have boned shoulder of pork on offer - pretty good cooked as a joint in SC.

Breast of lamb is tasty - makes a great curry if you chop it up. I'd make it the day before, though, let it cool and skim the fat off the top before reheating and serving.

With beef, mince is probably the cheapest option - you can make a decent chilli or pasta sauce in SC (again, you may want to let it cool and remove the fat before serving). Or, as well as the other cuts mentioned, supermarkets sometimes have oxtail cheap - and a little goes a long way if you stew with beans.

Don't just focus on cutting what you pay for the meat. If you cook your meat along with pulses or other veg, you can save money by making the meat so a long way (a bag of dried haricot, cannelini or butter beans, which makes a big pot-full when cooked, costs under £1 - you just need to soak overnight then boil for 10mins before adding to SC)
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have to say I am loving all the SC threads.

My little slow cooker gave up the ghost recently - it was old and small - one that did me and other half but sink my son came along (6 years ago) it struggled to make us a meal as it was just too small. It finally cracked and went to the big SC heaven in the sky so I have been looking at getting a decent family sized one again lately especially since now there is me, OH, our 6 year old and baby bump due in 30 days, with 9 year old step son at weekends! So a SC would be a dream now!
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sausage casserole is lovely and cheap, too.
    I cook bacon hocks in mine from Morrisons meat counter and they stay really succulent and give great stock and a suprising amount of meat. Very good value in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport