PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

cheap cuts of meat that can be slow cooked

Options

Comments

• NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Minced steak from Netto about £1.99 per pound.

Pork chops (boneless) chopped up either on the 3 for £10 from Asda or Tesco etc, you could get the braising steak and chop up for one of the other recipes and chicken for the third which would almost do all of your list.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • craft-a-holic
    Options
    I agree with going to your local butcher, get to know him, he's your best source of advice when you're buying meat and it's usually local. I find mine is excellent at suggesting (often cheaper) alternatives if I tell him what I want to cook or I adapt my menus depending what offers he has that week. And as you're planning on using your slow cooker the cheaper cuts of meat will taste wonderful with long, slow cooking.
    Decluttering, home-making and 'proper' cooking are my priorities this year and trying to finish all those unfinished hobby projects before spending any more money!
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but if it has I can't find it so I apologise for asking again!

Today I bought a couple of cheaper cuts of meat, and am not sure how to cook them. I bought chump ends of lamb, I'm planning to do them in the slow cooker tomorrow so they're done when I get home from work, but what do I put in the slow cooker with them? I don't want to do the veg in the cooker because I want roasted veg, but would like some kind of gravy for the meat to cook in.

I also got a pork tenderloin - ok so that wasn't particularly cheap but will do me several meals - and not sure what to do with that either, maybe a slow cooker casserole? Or would it be better roasted...?

I normally stick to chicken or minced beef when I'm cooking, lamb and pork are experiments for me!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With your chump end of lamb I's sling in a little some chopped onions and a bit of stock and then thicken it at the end.

I would not put a good piece of pork tenderloin in the s/c, no sireebob. That's needs a roasting. I once made a tenderloin roast and then made a sauce from lingonberries and cream but I'm sure that could be adapted and with something else, maybe apricots or a mustard glaze. When I'm in doubt or bereft of ideas I generally do a quick google for some inspiration
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options
    Thank you. The pork is in the freezer so I've got time to do a little googling before cooking that, not sure your fabulous sounding sauce is within my cookery capabilities though! The butcher said I could cut it into medalions, but I'm not sure how I would then cook the medalions!!

I'll do that with the lamb tomorrow though, thanks for that!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Medallions are best pan-fried. Just dust them in flour and pop them in a hot pan with a combination of butter and olive oil for two minutes or so on each side, depending on how thick you've cut them.
  • Mands
    Mands Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The butcher said I could cut it into medalions, but I'm not sure how I would then cook the medalions!!

As B&T says you would pan fry the medallions. Slice the tenderloin, fry in a hot pan, remove the then make a quick sauce in the pan. Pop the pork, and any juices, back in the pan for a minute or two while you dish up the rest of the meal.

For the sauce you could deglaze with some white wine and then add some cream. Or use brandy. Maybe add a spoonful of something sweet like cranberry sauce, or savory like whole grain mustard.

Or, instead of pan frying it leave the tenderloin whole and roast it. It cooks quickly, perhaps 30 - 45 minutes depending on the size. So, you could prep your roast veg and give them 30 minutes and then nestle the tenderloin in amongst them.

Roast dinner in not much more than an hour with only one pan to clean up :-)

Mands
  • mi_jardin
    mi_jardin Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    I use tenderloin for a stirfry, makes a nice change from chicken or prawns. I just slice it up thinly and it cooks quickly.:)
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Tenderloin is a top quality cut - i wouldnt put it in the slow cooker.

The lamb will do nicely in the SC - and it would be good casseroled slowly - i think there is a thread here somewhere on cheap cuts.

Cheap cuts are really tasty if cooked slowly - we tried oxtail recently - a real slow cook - but tastes wonderful when cooked.

Best Wishes

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options
    Eating the lamb now, it's been in the SC all day - gorgeous!!

Thank you!

Will have a think about the pork and maybe try two different things as I have enough for 2 if not 3 meals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport