We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

5 minute benefit check up Article Discussion Area

1…1213151718…21

Comments

  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,920
    10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    How 'extended' is your holiday? Surely you bought a return ticket when you planned the trip - if not, how did you get past immigration?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • hello everyone. just wondered if anyone might be able to help.

    i have been out of work for a while & have a home finances spreadsheet i use to track everything. it takes into account the benefits we receive. i'm trying to estimate our income if i go self employed but its difficult since i dont know what i'll earn & that makes it even harder to work out the benefits. it seems that if i bring a small income in, say £5000 a year i'd lose £3000 in benefits which is fine, but when u add losing the £51 a week job seekers i'd be worse off.

    Thanks
  • hello everyone. just wondered if anyone might be able to help.

    i have been out of work for a while & have a home finances spreadsheet i use to track everything. it takes into account the benefits we receive. i'm trying to estimate our income if i go self employed but its difficult since i dont know what i'll earn & that makes it even harder to work out the benefits. it seems that if i bring a small income in, say £5000 a year i'd lose £3000 in benefits which is fine, but when u add losing the £51 a week job seekers i'd be worse off.

    Thanks
    How old are you?

    Do you have children?
  • How old are you?

    Do you have children?

    hello & thanks for your reply. im 23 with 1 child
  • hello & thanks for your reply. im 23 with 1 child
    If you work 16 hours or more then you can claim WTC regardless on what income you will earn. You should overestimate you income to avoid any overpayments.
  • yoyo1980
    yoyo1980 Posts: 109
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't get it - I work 20hrs pw and husband works 37hrs. Combined income of £28000 - not entitled to any benefits apart from the child benefit standard?? Used to get about £40 per month when 3 yrs old was in child care part time. Confused!
  • yoyo1980 wrote: »
    I don't get it - I work 20hrs pw and husband works 37hrs. Combined income of £28000 - not entitled to any benefits apart from the child benefit standard?? Used to get about £40 per month when 3 yrs old was in child care part time. Confused!
    You should get basic family rate of TC on your income.
  • yoyo1980
    yoyo1980 Posts: 109
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yeah? Will have to re-look into it :) Thanks
  • Can anyone shed any light on this . I am living with a partner who works 40 hrs a week and I am on maternity allowance. He gets paid 18,000 and I get 120 per week. However tax credits say we are entilted to £0. However when I was on Job seekers allowance I was being paid £130.00 in tax credits. It really does not make sense ??????/
  • k80pkr wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on this . I am living with a partner who works 40 hrs a week and I am on maternity allowance. He gets paid 18,000 and I get 120 per week. However tax credits say we are entilted to £0. However when I was on Job seekers allowance I was being paid £130.00 in tax credits. It really does not make sense ??????/
    You will not be entitled to WTC, you should be entitled to CTC. Don't forget to disregard £100 a week of your MA. You should ask TCO to base it on the current year but you mst overestimate to avoid an overpayment.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.