We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Parents Club Part 12

1…12761277127912811282…1488

Comments

  • redstararnie76
    redstararnie76 Posts: 2,205 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2010 at 11:48AM
    I sympathise with all of you regarding MIL problems.
    Mine tries really hard to be helpful. She really means well, and a couple of times now she has offered to look after the kids so that I can get the garden sorted/catch up on sleep/sort the loft etc and I really appreciate the thought. The problem is that regardless of what I say, she gives my 4 year old, loads of sweets and chocolate and little else, and she won't let the baby fall asleep properly, she just keeps picking him up and cuddling him constantly... which is fine until I get them back and have a 4 year old strung out on sugar and an overtired baby who won't sleep at night! But I feel really rotten and ungrateful complaining when she has been kind enough to try and give me a break...
    ;) Working hard in the hopes of being 'lucky' ;)
  • workinmummy
    workinmummy Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    jillie1974 wrote: »
    reading all your MIL stories makes me realise how lucky i am with mine )

    I am waiting for the day when Alex becomes too much for her. Will cost me X more in childcare, but would be a relief for him to go to the CMs another day. She obviously knows better than me. And its perfectly fine to keep my ginger haired, v faired skinned baba out in the sun all day, and its fine to feed him crap all day long. She even wanted me to wash his head with Borax when his eczema was really bad. !!!!!!?

    She also gets a strop on at weekends as I won't let her have Alex to maul and parade around the town center like some trophy child. Because I work full time and would therefore like to spend time with my kids at the weekend.

    I know i shouldn't rant, because there a some of you, that would love the help, but agggh. Think its worse because if it was my mum I would just tell her straight, but as she isn't I don't feel that I can.:o
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    we are (well PIL) are booking our holiday for next year tomorrow!!

    we are going to Portugal for a week in a gorgeous villa.
    they are paying for the holiday, we just need spending money. and staying in a villa means it wont be as expensive as going to an apartment
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    WM can your OH not tell her?

    It's fairly simple: Mum, the kids need to have sunscreen on, and when you feed them please don't just give them rubbish all day. They come home strung out on sugar and sunburned, and then we're up all night trying to calm them down. We want them to look forward to spending time with you, not knowing that they enjoy themselves while they're there but it always hurts afterwards.

    I've just organised the viewing of the place we're thinking about, and since it is in the UK have also booked flights and a rental car. I am now trying to organise a surprise dinner so my parents can turn up somewhere ostensibly to meet my uncle and actually meet us instead :j
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
  • csh_2
    csh_2 Posts: 3,294 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Sugar: You moving to the UK?????? When and what about work?
  • workinmummy
    workinmummy Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    SugarSpun wrote: »
    WM can your OH not tell her?

    It's fairly simple: Mum, the kids need to have sunscreen on, and when you feed them please don't just give them rubbish all day. They come home strung out on sugar and sunburned, and then we're up all night trying to calm them down. We want them to look forward to spending time with you, not knowing that they enjoy themselves while they're there but it always hurts afterwards.

    In one ear, out the other, no processing required. She is not interested. She was the same with Joe. Just after he was one, I gave up and found my wonderful CM.

    She is a law unto herself. Its her way or no way. She's the same with everyone. Gets "the monk on" as she calls it (Got to love wiganers) over the slightest thing. OH's Auntie offered to have Alex one day last week and as my mum had been asked to work she did. MIL got strop on with her sister because she wouldn't take her shopping that day, because her day with Alex would have be hijacked and MIL would have taken over. Said Auntie found it very easy to follow instructions laid out by me, no problem with her hearing and information processing powers.

    Fantastic news about your holiday Jillie. Lovely IL's you have there.
  • boogellyboo
    boogellyboo Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Hello all,

    Mel the piccie of Tea and you is lovely, you look fab having just given birth :)

    jillie your hol sounds fab, I bet you can't wait. I was thinking of you in asda last night as lots of the buffet snack foods were reduced, I know you were thinking about these for K's christening so may be worth keeping an eye out if you have freezer space.

    SS are you possibly moving to the UK? You can come to north west meets then :j

    I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Isla's sleeping getting better, last night she wouldnt go down until nearly 11 then was up at 3 and 7 :( She's just napped for nearly two hours on my lap and everytime I tried to move or lay her down she squealed. I think we may have more teeth on the way :(
    Belly Monkey arrived 19.11.09 :j
  • redstararnie76
    redstararnie76 Posts: 2,205 Forumite
    Jillie - how lovely.
    ;) Working hard in the hopes of being 'lucky' ;)
  • csh_2
    csh_2 Posts: 3,294 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    My MIL is fab and does everything I ask and doesn't touch ma washing! IL's sound very much like Jillies and have K every Sat.

    My own mother on the other hand....... complete nightmare, doesn't listen, goes in a huff if she doesn't get her way, behaves very childishly etc. Thats why the IL's babysit for a full day and she doesn't. She gets a half hour here and there and visits when I'm there. Her health isn't great either so I have no problem just saying to her that shes not getting him as I don't think she'd cope.
  • boogellyboo
    boogellyboo Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    My MIL is trying to be super nice to me atm. I think she's trying to get me onside before her new DIL and DGD (whom she's never met) come's over next month.

    Or maybe I'm just cynical and really she is nice :cool: Nah!
    Belly Monkey arrived 19.11.09 :j
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.