Slimming World - Extra Easy weight loss!!

Options

Comments

• c_l_a_i_r_e
    c_l_a_i_r_e Posts: 4,647 Forumite
    Options
    Well done to all our losers:j - nessie216, greenpixey, chops22, bluefire, yamamama (i can understand your disappointment but 1/2 pound off is better than on so you should be proud):T

bexteragga and blackberryrum - Well done for STS:T

rupe34, sorry you're disappointed with the WI but hopefully next week will hold a good loss for you and reflect your good work.

zippy - If you use wholemeal flour I don't see any problem with making your own homemade bread and working out the equivalent of a HEB slice from it. Using wholemeal flour should give it more than enough fibre content and would be way healthier than shop bought. I'd also eat the chickpeas and count them as free, to me thats not misuse unless I was eating the equivalent of a few tins a day and pretending to myself they were nuts or something. But then I suppose I'm a bit of a rebel when it comes to the rules/misuse of food thing. I believe in applying common sense in these situations, thinking it through and making an informed decision. You can't kid yourself that way and if you find your weight loss is being effected you know where to perhaps start making changes. Just my 2 cents:p

Yellowbird - I think a lot of the confusion arises from inconsistencies between consulatants/ groups and a lot of misinformation being handed out as fact. You only need to read the forums to see different people being told different things at different classes. SW really need to do something about this imo. My consultants answer for most things starts with "I don't understand the science/ reason behind it but..." and to me this really isn't acceptable. They should be educated themselves about the plan in order to teach others about it and then perhaps there would be more consistency.

Re the foods you mention I can understand fresh pasta being synned as its cooked in some oil before being packaged I think. Tinned fruit I don't buy but i'd just drain it/rinse eat and eat it as free depending on what kind of juice it was in. Oh and re the rotisserie chicken - I would remove the skin and eat it as free. I don't see the harm and to me its no different to taking a deep fried chippy fish and removing the batter to count it as free (as per SW's advice). I only have this occasionally though, so I may think differently if it was something I would potentially eat more often. Wow I've rambled on loads:o just thinking out loud really and its nice to see the different perspectives on issues.
    :starmod:C'est la vie:starmod:
  • consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are we still allowed the Pasta & Sauce quiche as one of the girls on an earlier post said that Slimming World are now saying this is a misuse of free food?? Thanks Consultant for clarifying.

This subject was brought up at our last quarterly meeting and opinions seemed to be divided. In my opinion as long as it's eaten as part of a meal (ie: with a big salad or even hot, roast veg) then it's fine. The problems arise when it is eaten as a snack, between meals. At the end of the day, you have to consider the amount of calories in it. It's not like jacket potatoes, where the filling power outweighs the calories if you see what I mean.

Over the years that I have been both a member and a Consultant with Slimming World, they have changed the syn values of many foods. Often this has been because the actual recipes have changed, but more often it's been to remove an over-processed food from the 'free' list as the move has been towards eating more and more fresh products.

Hope that helps clarify :)
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • consultant31
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Evening everyone

I have to say....don't most of you seem to eat very little :eek: ...I know a lot of mine is fruit n veggies ,,, but I swear if I ate as little as some of you do I would be chewing the table leg by lunch time :rotfl:

I just thought the very same thing :D I think you'll find that your fruit and veg chomping will give you fantastic losses not to mention instilling good habits on the rest of the family (if they follow your example).

Please don't mention the 'C' word - unlike so many people I don't get all misty-eyed over images of snow and Santa :(:rotfl:
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey gang:

Thanks for the encouragement. I think the problem is I need to go shopping again and do a proper meal plan. I have been eating more bacon/eggs etc most days but have ran out over the last few days and true mse-style been trying to eke out the cupboards but going to have to go today I think.

I have had my weigh in at home and I seem to have lost again, as I say im not convinced by the scales. However my clothes are a lot bigger and people are starting to notice. This is quite amazing as I dont have a lot to "lose" its more to try not to get bigger with the amount im eating. Once OH is up ill try the culottes on to see if they are a better fit ;)

I also need to cook a lot earlier last night i snapped and wasted my syns on 3 cream crackers :wall: what a waste! I made the beef casserole thing, was quite nice - in the end!

Have decided might try the contraceptive implant come july- does this have "appetite issues" does anyone know?

Anyhow back on it, todays feed will be:

Breakfast: Strawbs and yoghurt heb alpen lights
    Lunch- bacon eggs, mushrooms beans
    Tea: Jerk chicken, salad, sweet pot wedges, maybe rice as well
    Snacks fruit/yog/ cottage cheese
    Syns will be probably french fires and jaffa cakes!
    Also got a ham out of the freezer which Ill roast off today as somethng to graze on or add to salads.

Thanks everyone!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • consultant31
    Options
    zippy - If you use wholemeal flour I don't see any problem with making your own homemade bread and working out the equivalent of a HEB slice from it. Using wholemeal flour should give it more than enough fibre content and would be way healthier than shop bought. I'd also eat the chickpeas and count them as free, to me thats not misuse unless I was eating the equivalent of a few tins a day and pretending to myself they were nuts or something. But then I suppose I'm a bit of a rebel when it comes to the rules/misuse of food thing. I believe in applying common sense in these situations, thinking it through and making an informed decision. You can't kid yourself that way and if you find your weight loss is being effected you know where to perhaps start making changes. Just my 2 cents:p

Yellowbird - I think a lot of the confusion arises from inconsistencies between consulatants/ groups and a lot of misinformation being handed out as fact. You only need to read the forums to see different people being told different things at different classes. SW really need to do something about this imo. My consultants answer for most things starts with "I don't understand the science/ reason behind it but..." and to me this really isn't acceptable. They should be educated themselves about the plan in order to teach others about it and then perhaps there would be more consistency.

Re the foods you mention I can understand fresh pasta being synned as its cooked in some oil before being packaged I think. Tinned fruit I don't buy but i'd just drain it/rinse eat and eat it as free depending on what kind of juice it was in. Oh and re the rotisserie chicken - I would remove the skin and eat it as free. I don't see the harm and to me its no different to taking a deep fried chippy fish and removing the batter to count it as free (as per SW's advice). I only have this occasionally though, so I may think differently if it was something I would potentially eat more often. Wow I've rambled on loads:o just thinking out loud really and its nice to see the different perspectives on issues.

The misuse of foods thing looks at snacks in the following way:

Once you start to eat anything as a snack you're adding calories to your daily consumption. If you eat properly (ie: eat enough at each meal) then ideally you shouldn't need to snack! In the case of chickpeas, we're talking about roughly 300 cals a can. As the basis of a meal that's quite low, but as a snack between meals it's really quite high.

In the case of tinned fruit - the reason it has a syn value (with or without the juice) is that it's processed, making it soft and very easy to eat. You don't get the fibre as you would from the whole fruit (including skin) and it doesn't take as long to eat (giving your brain time to recognise when you've had enough).

Rotisserie chicken - some supermarkets admit to injecting the birds with extra oil (you may have noticed they are always juicy). It's a quick and easy lunch to buy a ready-cooked chicken joint to eat with salad, and it wouldn't cause a problem, weight wise, as long as it was just that, but given an inch, many people take a mile and think it's fine to pick at a whole chicken a day as a snack..........don't think I'm exaggerating - I have members who've done just that.

I do see your point with different Consultants giving out different advice (it's one of my pet hates) and your Consultant's stock answer may not be satisfactory to you, but the science behind the plans is complicated (it's all to do with satiety) and really shouldn't worry a member. All any of us really need to know is that, followed 100% it works - always!

Hope that helps. I don't want to come across as being a 'know-all' so I'll shut up if you prefer :o
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Consultant, my sister said exactly the same thing about the processing of fruit when I aked her about it.

Eg I LOVE dried apple, but really not a fan of it raw at all. So I asked, whats the problem? As long as you dont get the honey covered ones, whats the problem.

She replied, eating dried apple ( or other dried fruit) you can EASILY eat equivalent to 4 or 5 apples in a sitting- as the water is removed so isnt filling- not many people really would eat 5 apples one after another.

Tinned mandarins is another good example- I can quite compfortably put away a can of them but Id never eat say 8 mandarins one after the other as Id be full- the processing makes them softer as they "slip down" with little effort.

I did buy somecanned fruit as I was trying to keep an eye on cost- but I'll syn them for this very reason.

Re the rotisserie chicken- completely true about injecting withfat. I used to work in tescos and it was well known then ( some 10 years ago)

I think it is minimins where there is a conversation about syns in Wetherspoons, wherethe jacket potatoes are injected with oils so they cook quicker/ mouth feel etc. Now that is scary!But not a surprise as its all about making the most of the cheapest ingredients to cook them in a non-traditional way.

All IMHO ;)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Rotherham_Lass
    Options
    omg it took me ages to catch up, you lot have been busy:D Hello to all our newbies:wave:

I wouldn't worry about having too much food. SW says to eat until you're comfortably full (or something along those lines before anyone jumps on me:rotfl:) and that will be different for everyone. It seems fine to me for EE, just remember the 1/3 rule so maybe have some veg in the chilli (tomato, onion etc)?

Thanks for that. :beer:

I always stick loads of toms, courgettes, mushrooms , peppers etc in.
  • retiredlady
    retiredlady Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gemsmember wrote: »
    Does anyone feel that their consultant doesn't do very much. I have now stopped going to class because I wasn't getting anything out of it. OK, so you got weighed then chatted to whoever you sat next to. The consultant then tells everyone who has lost weight, asks if anyone has tried any new recipes and then you go home. There are no books or mags to look through, no recipes etc.

I am going to try to do it on my own, as I could do with keeping the £4.95 myself.

I have been thinking the very same thing myself! My consultant spends ages reading everybodys weights out and spends loads of time with the same 3 or 4 people every week - and 2 of them are target members! My friend who goes has gained every week for 7 weeks and the consultant has never spoken to her about it - not even asked for a diary! I also get embarrassed because she always says how much we have gained:( I have been seesawing (is that a word:rotfl:) since January and have only lost about 5 lbs in total since then - I have tried to speak to her but all she says is that I am doing something wrong. I email her my diarys but don't get any feedback on them, when I asked her about it she said I was obviously not putting everything down because if my diarys were correct I would have lost weight:(:(:( I do put everything down!

On the food front - I was amazed when they doubled the syn value of scan bran! I compared the packets and the new ones have more fibre and less calories! My consultant also told us that Tesco cooked chickens were free and I have them quite often - 30 syns I havn't counted right there!:mad:

I think I will have a go a doing it on my own over the summer - we tend to go away quite a bit anyway, and find a new class to go to in September.

Marion
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
  • Sian_the_Green
    Sian_the_Green Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, I have to admit I am a little confused now by what has been said about the snacking. When I was reading up about SW I got the impression that if you made yourself a big portion of free curry and rice and had it in the fridge, you could go get some more out all day if you wanted to, it didn't seem to suggest no snacking.
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • gemsmember
    gemsmember Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, I have to admit I am a little confused now by what has been said about the snacking. When I was reading up about SW I got the impression that if you made yourself a big portion of free curry and rice and had it in the fridge, you could go get some more out all day if you wanted to, it didn't seem to suggest no snacking.

What I am going to say is probably going to be seen as controversial, but it is the way I see it.

I think this is where most of us make the same mistake. It is promoted as being able to eat as much free food as you like, but obviously you can't because of consuming too many calories. If you are a lucky one and have a sense of fullness when you have eaten enough, then the diet will probably work OK. I have usually managed to lose a couple of stone at the start and then it starts to yoyo. This seems to be the same for 90% of the members of my club. I have been going on and off for over 4 years and the same people are still there, or like me, join and rejoin.

The recipe books give a menu as being free, then say it is for 4 people, so if it is free why can't one person eat it all - well, obviously because the calorie content would be too high.

Yes, the diet will work, but only if you stick to sensible size portions, eat at meal times and don't snack in between. This is why I have decided to try on my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure