We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

my boyfriend wants prenup and I'm pregnant

Options

Comments

• Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2010 at 1:10PM
    Options
    I think some people need to turn up their troll detectors.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • csh_2
    csh_2 Posts: 3,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strapped wrote: »
    I think some people need to turn up their troll detectors.

Thats what I thought! Altogether now 'I ain't saying shes a golddigga.....' LOL
  • Philycheesesteak
    Options
    I don't think they're legally binding in this country anyway ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8580313.stm

(Yet)
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No such thing as an enforcable prenup in England.

However, the lawyers are pushing hard for it.

Would concentrate your energy on the reasons behind the request, especially as you are going to be in a really vulnerable position: Moved to be with him, career insecurity, a young child.

If you 'saving' by not paying him 'rent' is a good thing, does that mean he will be giving you 50% of childcare and child rearing costs?

Sounds more liek a room mate than a life partner to me.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • satnav10
    satnav10 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Bufger wrote: »
    I'm quite sure you would still have a claim to part of his estate by paying the bills and that being recorded with a paper trail unless the prenup would mention such a thing (and even then im sure you would still be entitled!). From the legality side of things you would want to see a solicitor to go over the terms of this prenup, do it on your own so you wont hold back questions.

its been a couple of years since i studied 'Trusts' in Uni (and i wasnt particularly good at it), but i do remember reading about a case where a woman moved in with her partner in the house that he already owned. She paid half the bills/holidays etc, but when they split, the judge didnt give her 1/2 of the property as she wasnt with the man when he purchased it. From what i can remember, we discussed the end of the 'common-law' marriage and what this means for co-habitees.

IMO, well worth speaking to solicitor first.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think your boyfriend sounds like an ejit.

I'd walk away now!

Once you have a child together, pre-nups mean very little.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • swiss69
    swiss69 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    He is being rather blunt with it but I can see where he is coming from.

If he has built up say £100k in both equity and savings I think it is unfair that if you do split up in say 10 years that you walk away with half of this.

I would say that you should walk away with half of anything you have built up together since you have been together (Not just married) including increase in house equity and savings and perhaps a small percentage of what he has built up...say 10%.

There are many men who I know who have been absolutely shafted financially following divorce.

I am not sure pre nups are legal in this country but a judge is likely to take it into account. Having a child would probably overide this though as judges tend to put the needs of the child first.

Men and woman tend to look at love and marriage differently.
  • threemuttleys
    Options
    Run. Away. Now
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2010 at 2:10PM
    Options
    ...just wondering how you are going to be able to afford to pay half the bills and groceries AND save up for your own place when you will be either on maternity pay (bearing in mind HIS earnings will greatly reduce your ability to claim Working Tax Credits or indeed any benefits, so you will be on less than you could be after the child is born) What does he expect you to save - buttons?

I have to say though, any bloke who suggested to me that I save up my 'rent money' (good of him) so I can buy my own place if we divorce....well let's just say he wouldn't be putting a ring on my finger in the first place.:mad:

I'm not saying he isn't right to want to protcet what he has built up over the years.....it's just it could be done in a nicer way. Romantic he aint!
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't want to be with any man who had such a dim view of our relationship and it's longevity.
    He might be rubbish at explaining himself but honestly he makes it sound like you're a lodger rather than his wife. How is he going to treat his offspring? In the same manner?
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family