🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    beckprot wrote: »
    A colleague has just had a call from someone claiming to be from Money Saving Expert (!) telling them that they were due thousands in bank charges but that they needed to pay £100 delivery charge first. The number given was 01618186104. Anyone else received a call like this? A bit cheeky that they're using MSE!

Its a common fraud. Like many cold calls, its a scam. It is known as advance fee fraud.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This type of call should be reported here.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    beckprot wrote: »
    A colleague has just had a call from someone claiming to be from Money Saving Expert (!) telling them that they were due thousands in bank charges but that they needed to pay £100 delivery charge first. The number given was 01618186104. Anyone else received a call like this? A bit cheeky that they're using MSE!

Suggest you also follow the advice given by MSE Andrea in post#2 in the following:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5078563

:)
  • Bondstarpaul
    Options
    I had a call about 2 weeks ago from someone saying that they had been told by a friend I was in hospital & I had had an accident, when prompted for the name of the friend he refused to give it. He said he needed my bank details to pay for hospital treatment, when i said to him if I am supposed to be in hospital how can I be on a landline in someones house, he hung up without any details at all. I reported this to Action Fraud.
    Last night at 7.26pm I received a call from the following number 00218213210207, an Asian sounding said hello sir I am calling cause you have had an accident in the last 3 years, he said the information was given to him from our GP's, Hospitals, Friends & Government departments. When I asked who had told him he said he could not tell me due to confidentiality, I then asked what company he was calling from, he said UK Accident Outline( I am sure he meant Helpline) the head office is based in Manchester apparently so he told me, although google has shown me nothing so far. When I asked him to call me by my surname & not sir as he must have it if he has my records, he asked me to confirm it to him, when I pressed him to confirm it to me he got shirty & hung up. You see I have not had an accident at all in the 5 years let alone 3, reported it to Action Fraud, ICO in case company really did exist & like wise with TPS. Action Fraud says it is an international number not if it is the same as the first call I got as I threw the first number away after reporting it. So beware I will report any more if i get one & keep you up dated ! I also let National Accident Helpline know cause some people might get confused & think the call has come from them.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Had one of these muppets on my work direct line claiming to be from the "Accident Claims Department" which is apparently a Government Department (!). Reckoned someone on that number had some compensation money waiting for them. Unfortunately for the muppet I probably know more about Accident Claims than he did, and when I offered to share that experience with him he smartly put the phone down.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    When we asked where did they get our number they put phone down. I think it was from India, when got number rang back it was disconnected. Do they disconnect it straight away or is it the fact they can call you but you cant call them. When I checked the number on internet others said they got abuse from this number of stating they would harm or kill if they didnt take out the accident claims etc. with threats to their partners and all. Its still going on and it will never stop. Some one told me they can stop UK calls from other UK callers but if from different country as the laws are different nothing they can do, its all wrong people being harrassed this way, We are Ex directory and joined the TPS service, lot of good that did.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do they disconnect it straight away or is it the fact they can call you but you cant call them.

The second one.

TPS is only of any use if a company is going to screen against it. Certain types of companies don't. It's easier to close down and open up under a new name.
  • birtles1010
    Options
    0800 537 7359[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]0800 537 7359 FREE Claims online address 170 Garratts Lane London SW18 4DP
    Asian gent giving his name as My Keyde
    However my phone shows 01259 760 009 - 01259 is Alloa in Scotland
    Usual story - accident within the last few months. When I told him that I was not the person he was asking for and had no car he was very rude, accused me of wasting his time & hung up......
    I have had several missed calls from this 01259 tel no
    What happened to the telephone preference service???
    S
    Call
    Send SMS
    Call from mobile
    Add to Skype
    You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
  • lynx10
    lynx10 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 November 2015 at 1:17PM
    Options
    What is the ICO doing about nuisance calls?

We meet with companies to discuss their compliance with the law and monitor their progress. And we now have the power to fine those who break the law.

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/nuisance-calls/

The jurisdiction is not thought to include the Indian subcontinent ;-)
  • pockitz
    pockitz Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a call from an Eastern European guy from ENGLAND CLAIMS SERVICE saying that he has a file outlining my payments for PPI and needs some details before he can send it to me.
    When he asked for my date of birth i asked for his website address. Apparently they don't have one "As is said we dont have one" he didn't say anything previous to this about a website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport