Guy caught smoking on Easyjet flight.

Options
Yesterday we flew back from Portugal on an Easyjet flight. During the trip a flight attendant suddenly announced in no uncertain terms that smoking on the plane would not be tolerated, so we assumed somebody had be caught trying to or actually lit a fag either in his seat or in the toilet. We were sitting in the front of the plane so we don't know the exact details. Anyway, we thought nothing of it until we arrived in Gatwick. After a slight delay at the gate, the front door of the plane opened and in came two burly looking cops and took two guys off the plane first thing. Just 30 feet after disembarking the plane we saw one of the guys being handcuffed and the other one being questioned. I assume the first guy was the culprit and the other one his mate. The whole thing looked like a bit an over-reaction to me, but then again, when it comes to safety on a flight in mid-air .....?
I was just wondering what happens to them afterwards. Does the smoker who got caught get a caution, get fined, locked up and prosecuted? And what happens to his mate. I should imagine he'll be all right as it didn't look like he was arrested.

Comments

• alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,366 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This sort of thing has been happening for at least 20 years. Airlines do not take kindly to people smoking on their planes and will always involve the local police. At the very least they will be detained for a period of time and probably banned from using that airline again
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I hope he gets a stiff fine

Same as this idiot in DM. I hope in his case he gets fined heavily for plane being diverted

'Drunk' British passenger forces plane to divert to Alaska after threatening to attack the pilot
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The 'safety' angle claim makes me giggle a bit, because I remember when it was perfectly legal to smoke on planes. I remember flying to Tenerife with a boyfriend who was nevous of flying and pretty much chain-smoked the entire journey.

Not pleasant for the non-smokers, but not a problem then for the airline concerned - how time have changed!

:rotfl:
  • plainsie
    plainsie Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    I hope he gets a stiff fine

Same as this idiot in DM. I hope in his case he gets fined heavily for plane being diverted

'Drunk' British passenger forces plane to divert to Alaska after threatening to attack the pilot

Totally agree
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    un fortunatly there seems to be some muppets who think the rules dont apply to them
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • spinningsheep
    spinningsheep Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you cast your mind back though, it was always prohibited to smoke whilst in the aisles or lavatories, for safety reasons. If someone goes in the loo for a crafty fag, there may not be any immediate danger in most people's eyes, but if they don't dispose of the butt properly and a fire breaks out in say a waste paper bin, the fire could rapidly spread and in worst case scenario, bring down the aircraft, so it certainly isn't as trivial matter as some would have you believe. As an ex flight attendant, we were told in no uncertain terms, you have approx 3 mins to gain control of a fire on board in mid air, otherwise it's curtains.:eek:

Example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Flight_797

So next time you fly and you're "DYING" for a fag, don't be tempted!

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 
  • itsgazza_2
    itsgazza_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    apparently easyjet don't like you taking dead relatives on board either !!:rotfl:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8606617.stm
  • creased-leach
    creased-leach Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    Options
    So I guess a mid air cremation is totally out of the question then?
    Only dead fish go with the flow...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jamespir wrote: »
    un fortunatly there seems to be some muppets who think the rules dont apply to them

I just remenber; after the cops took them off the plane, the pilot commented on the PA: "Here, nobody's above the law".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If they are that desperate could they please go outside and light up:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business