Very slow chat forum and crashes

Options
pin
pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

Don't know if anyone else is experienceing these problems. However today the chat forum is very slow (esp compared to yesterday, when it was very fast). Also about 50% of the time the loading of the forums times out.

One last thing, for some reason I can't see any stars, pictures, etc. I'm getting an "x" box where any pics are supposed to be. I know there is an option in the User CP asking whether to display certain things, and I've ticked everything, but still not able to see stars, pics, etc.

Thanks
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Forum is slow this morning although I am finding it's speeding up now. I have been able to see the pictures but in a lot of the posts from the old forum they aren't showing.

They are still fixing quite a few of the gremlins and today is when the email goes out so the site always slows down the. :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am getting the same thing - even worse yesterday I accessed the site no problems in the morning then in the afternoon kept getting the old site - could not get on to chat forum and when eventually I did - it kept forgetting who I was and refusing to let me post.

Spoke to another user who was fed up and about never to come back so tried to reassure her that things would get better - to find much the same problems today.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yes, I've noticed that this morning. It has slowed to a crawl and often gives page not found errors.

Might have something to do with the number of users online - 1700+ !!! Can that figure really be right? It seems a massive amount compared to the previous maximum online figure of around 900. What a jump! I also noticed that only 171 of that 1700 figure were registered users too so a lot of lurkers! Is it time to make this forum one where you need to be registered to view? Some other forums work like that and I do think it's a really good idea.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Oooooo 1878 at 9.15, thats an awful lot of people :D
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Redfox

My first reaction to your idea was that it was a really good one although remembering that I needed to lurk for a good long while till I got up courage to register and then eventually to post, I would not like to discourage anyone.
    Might there be a way to let people browse for say a few minutes until they register?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think you might find the reason for the slowness is either

due to the email being sent out...

or response to the email being sent out.......
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Fastflys
    Fastflys Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too have found the site sloooooooow this morning and have been timed out several times.

I know it's early days but wasn't the whole point of this upgrade to handle increased traffic at "wizzy" speeds?
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Extremely slow today and it also crashes on me... it goes to a page cannot be found a lot.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    How did heather get her 'Heather' avatar!!!!!!! *green-eyed monster activated*

Also finding things slow, page not found etc and some things not displaying properly :(
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I did my avatar the other day and now I can't edit it.

They must have disabled the avatars :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure