FREE Tesco Clubcard points for turning GREEN !!!!!

Comments

• Constantine
    Constantine Posts: 1,561 Forumite
    A couple of quick points from Tesco Employee ;)

a) Tesco carrier bags alreadt bio-degrade - try using one as a bin bag after its spent 9 months at the back of a draw and you will see what I mean :rolleyes:

b) The provision of carrier bags is a massive cost for any retailer. Anything to bring those costs down is a sensible move for any company that wants to maintain its profit growth.

c) The first time I am called to the CSD about an argument about how many green points a customer should get, I am going to be having serious words with the cashier - Life is just too short to argue about a couple of points here or there.

d) Charging for bags (a la Ireland) is pretty much going to require an act of Parliment. For every enviromently astute customer there is another ten who could not care less (unfortunatly).

e) Personaly, this will give me an extra 15 or so points a week....which will all go towards a nice holiday next year :D

Cynical move or not, I can not see how anyone losses here - cheaper costs for Tesco, less waste for the enviroment, CC points for the consumer. Win-Win-Win, no?
    Who or what was I before you came in to my life
    I am not sure
  • John_T_5
    John_T_5 Posts: 219 Forumite
    The Tesco carrier bags may well be biodegradable, which in fact all carrier bags are, it is the issue of how long they take to biodegrade, it will still take many years for the regular Tesco carrier bags to degrade completely, longer for the Bag For Life, and they are still made from petroleum based plastics.

The Republic of Ireland did not voluntarily give up plastic bags, it was an act of their parliament that precipitated it.

And there is still the issue of encouraging shoppers to take away Tescos old cardboard boxes under the pretext of helping the environment.

I appreciate the points you are making Constantine, but it does really sound like something you are quoting from the employee training manual on how to respond to customer queries.
    "As if by magic... the shopkeeper appeared."
  • Constantine
    John_T wrote:
    The Tesco carrier bags may well be biodegradable, which in fact all carrier bags are, it is the issue of how long they take to biodegrade, it will still take many years for the regular Tesco carrier bags to degrade completely, longer for the Bag For Life, and they are still made from petroleum based plastics.

The Republic of Ireland did not voluntarily give up plastic bags, it was an act of their parliament that precipitated it.

And there is still the issue of encouraging shoppers to take away Tescos old cardboard boxes under the pretext of helping the environment.

I appreciate the points you are making Constantine, but it does really sound like something you are quoting from the employee training manual on how to respond to customer queries.

Nope, I am on holiday atm, everything I have heard about this I have read here :D

They certainly are made from Petroleum based products. So reusing them regardless of source is a move to be applauded, no? Fine - Tesco make a saving 'cos you are not taking a new one. And thats bad why?

Not sure what your point is tbh. Tesco's encourage people to take away cardboard boxes? And thats bad because?

Edited for late night poor spelling
    I am not sure
  • So what happens to those bags that my home delivery comes in. Some days it seems as though they have used 1 bag per item! As I only shop once a month with them you can imagine how many bags I end up with. If I hand back all the bags they send them in - making the driver wait of course while I unpack them - will I get the points?
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • Forgot to say that this is the only source of plastic bags cos everywhere else I shop I use my own bags or my wally trolly. Surely if the supermarkets charged for each bag they use then the savings they are making could be passed on to us, fewer bags would be produced, they wouldn't be able to pollute the environment. I know that they are biodegradable but how long does that take. Try telling a whale who has swallowed a whole bunch of them - don't worry they will soon degrade - they are dead by the time that happens. They wouldn't end up filling landfills and we would have to find something else to line the bin with.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • Constantine
    Forgot to say that this is the only source of plastic bags cos everywhere else I shop I use my own bags or my wally trolly. Surely if the supermarkets charged for each bag they use then the savings they are making could be passed on to us, fewer bags would be produced, they wouldn't be able to pollute the environment. I know that they are biodegradable but how long does that take. Try telling a whale who has swallowed a whole bunch of them - don't worry they will soon degrade - they are dead by the time that happens. They wouldn't end up filling landfills and we would have to find something else to line the bin with.

About a year to degrade in landfill I believe.

A dead whale in a landfill would take much longer and I am dubious about how useful they would be as bin liners :D

Edited for early morning poor spelling
    I am not sure
  • Now that it's becoming worth their while to re-use their Tesco bags does it mean that other shoppers won't look down their noses at me when I start packing my shopping in old carriers as I've been doing for about three years now. And can I claim clubcard points for all the bags I've re-used in those three years???
  • headcovers
    headcovers Posts: 705 Forumite
    *Sparkle* wrote:
    ................Is this scheme available to online customers?
    i always return the hundreds of bags they give me.
    ....If I hand back all the bags they send them in - making the driver wait of course while I unpack them - will I get the points?

Come on guys.....I have the same question which is being asked over and over on this post without an answer.....does this scheme work for online customers? Does anybody know?
  • phil140701
    phil140701 Posts: 289 Forumite
    personaly i've never used the bags at all i put all my shopping back in my basket or trolley take it out to the car and fill some stacker boxes with what i've bought and return my basket will i still get my points for not having taken the carrier bags?
    save money, spend someone else's
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I think its a good idea but!!!!!

Having scaned through this thread no one has mentioned how much longer it will take to get through the checkouts because little miss green fancy pants is arguing with the cashier about how many points she will get.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport