PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Calculator and Q&A discussion

Options

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Benzene wrote: »
    This is a query in regards to my dad willing to invest in the UK. He is based in Qatar and renting. He does not own any property in the world. He is not a UK citizen nor resident in the UK. He is citizen of Pakistan. He is willing to buy a property in the UK on cash for BTL (Buy to Let) purposes. Would he be paying SDLT as he is a genuine first time buyer? :)
    you have overlooked one very important rule which means your father cannot possibly claim first time buyer releif from SDLT....

the purchaser or, if there is more than one, each of them, is a first time buyer, who intends to occupy the dwelling as their only or main residence,

he intends to live in Qatar and wants to get a BTL property so fail and fail (and quite rightly so, UK tax relief is not intended to make overseas investors rich)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/661728/8274_guidance_note_SDLT_relief_for_first_time_buyers.pdf
  • petercharles82
    Options
    If I, a first-time buyer, buy a house with my partner (who is not a FTB) on a joint mortgage, do I have to pay stamp duty?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If I, a first-time buyer, buy a house with my partner (who is not a FTB) on a joint mortgage, do I have to pay stamp duty?

If you're buying the property jointly then you won't qualify for the FTB exemption unless you are both FTBs, so stamp duty will be payable (assuming the property price is over £125k).
  • auntgiddy
    Options
    My sister and I own our late mothers house as 50/50 tenants in common. The property is currently rented - and has been since 2010. It has recently been valued at £230K. She wants out and I am considering buying her out. Given that the value of my payment to her would be les than the £125 threshold will I be liable for stamp duty or - since it is not my residence - will I be liable for 3% on any agreed payment? Thanks
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    auntgiddy wrote: »
    My sister and I own our late mothers house as 50/50 tenants in common. The property is currently rented - and has been since 2010. It has recently been valued at £230K. She wants out and I am considering buying her out. Given that the value of my payment to her would be les than the £125 threshold will I be liable for stamp duty or - since it is not my residence - will I be liable for 3% on any agreed payment? Thanks
    If you own another property the 3% surcharge will be due. SDLT is due if the chargeable consideration is £40K or more.
  • auntgiddy
    Options
    Thanks to SDLT Geek. Another question has occurred to me since your reply. You say anything in excess of £40K. But will that be on the full value of the house - given that I already own half - or just on the monies that change hands between me and my sister? Thanks
  • SDLT_Geek
    Options
    The "chargeable consideration" for SDLT is normally the amount you pay. It can be complicated if there is a mortgage on the property. If the chargeable consideration is £40K or more then the 3% is due on the whole, not just on the amount over £40K.
  • tallicadaz
    Options
    Hello,

I have a general query on this I hope someone can help with?
    We are purchasing a new build with part exchange, as part of the signing of the missives the house builder requires a 2% deposit (£6,800) which comes off of the sale price of the house. We have been told they will accept a lower amount if we were to suggest it (£500 was mentioned), so my question is, would paying the full £6,800 lower the amount of LBTT we would be required to pay as the sell would then be £333,200?
    To be fair we will likely pay the £6,800 anyway as the alternative is a higher sell price which means a higher mortgage amount and amount to pay back in interest (and it won't impact our LTV), but I am just curious if the LBTT would consider the 2% we have already paid, or whether it would be based on the initial sell price/value? - the difference being £680.
    Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!
  • ianbarratt85
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Trying to figure out whether we are enititled to FTB relief or not.

We bought a house with my girlfriends parents, they sold their house and put in the equity as the deposit which was 43% of the value of the new house and then we took the remaining 57% out as a mortgage.

The mortgage has all four of our names on but only me and my girlfriend pay it. As we were buying with non first time buyers we assumed we wouldn't get any FTB stamp duty relief on the new house so paid the 5% stamp duty which was £8,000.

We've had a letter from Relatus saying we're owed £4,400 on our stamp duty.

If we were eligible for the FTB relief i worked out we should of paid 5% of the amount that exceeded £300,000 - which would of been £3000 (5% of £60,000 as the house was £360,000)

Does anyone know whether we have a claim or not and also if we do is it an issue if i go directy through HMRC to avoid the 25% charge from relatus?

Aplogies for the essay, thanks.
  • SDLT_Geek
    Options
    It sounds as if your girlfriend’s parents have a share in the property so first time buyers relief will not apply.
    Does the house have a granny annex? That might be the angle Relatus are following.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback