PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Calculator and Q&A discussion

Options

Comments

• Brodibunch
    Options
    I currently have a charge against a property of 55k. All done legally and there is sufficient equity in the property to cover it. The property is being sold and I wish to purchase it. My question is am I liable to the full stamp duty amount or just on the balance required to purchase the property?
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The SDLT would be calculated on the total of the cash sum you pay and debt you forgive.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mbugsy18 wrote: »
    The purchase price is £800K.

So put 800k in the calculator make sure you answer the question about replacing your main residence, Bobs your uncle.
  • mbugsy18
    Options
    Thanks have done
  • katiepoppycat
    Options
    Hi, I'm buying a new home and selling the current one - but there will almost certainly be an overlap of a couple of months. Will I have to pay the second home stamp duty or does the fact that the current house is on the market mean I only pay the lower rate? I know I can claim the difference back at a later date once I only have one house.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You will have to pay the additional SDLT then claim it back after the sale of the current property.
  • FILSHAM
    FILSHAM Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    My daughter and I want to swap houses and with lockdown the properties are worth less but I’ve not had them revalued. Their house was worth 350,000 and ours 435,00. If we both got the asking price at the time. My daughter doesn’t need to remortgage and is just paying off some of my mortgage to make me mortgage free and I have their house. Can we both sell to each other for 249,000 to keep stamp duty down.
  • peggy101
    Options
    Can anyone help?

My daughter and I plan to sell our homes and buy a commercial property, consisting of 3 houses (one being a rental), jointly.

How will the stamp duty be calculated?

• SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    peggy101 said:
    Can anyone help?
    My daughter and I plan to sell our homes and buy a commercial property, consisting of 3 houses (one being a rental), jointly.
    How will the stamp duty be calculated?
    It seems that the property you want to buy is residential, not commercial, if it consists of three houses.  It seems likely that the higher rates of Stamp Duty Land Tax (with the 3% surcharge) will apply, but you might qualify for multiple dwellings relief.
  • LAH19
    LAH19 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I’m not a first time buyer but my partner is. How would stamp duty work? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure