PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Calculator and Q&A discussion

Options

Comments

• CheesyWiggles
    Options
    LAH19 said:
    I’m not a first time buyer but my partner is. How would stamp duty work? 
    You wouldn’t have first time buyer status if buying together, so wouldn’t get the ftb status for stamp duty purposes
  • Sweeney1
    Sweeney1 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just wondering, if stamp duty is scrapped for 6 months from tomorrow, and I've negotiated with developer to pay stamp duty on new build I'm buying at price of 290k as incentive to buy, can I now renegotiate? Should I expect some of his saving to come to me? Any advice welcome!
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sweeney1 said:
    Just wondering, if stamp duty is scrapped for 6 months from tomorrow, and I've negotiated with developer to pay stamp duty on new build I'm buying at price of 290k as incentive to buy, can I now renegotiate? Should I expect some of his saving to come to me? Any advice welcome!
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6165887/stamp-duty-incentive-on-new-build

• lorra63
    Options
    I am in the process of purchasing a property with my partner of 6 years. The property is under the £500k for payment of stamp duty so what’s the issue? My partner is still officially married (long story but you can’t force someone to divorce if they don’t respond!) and still named on the deeds and mortgage for the former marital home - even though he is handing everything over to her.  The new property will be paid for with a large deposit from both of us and I am able to source a mortgage for the remainder. However because of the deposit he is contributing, this will make the property a second home and liable for stamp duty? Is this correct?  
    And can I do anything to not be liable?
  • Hungry_nurse
    Options
    My solicitor has updated my financial statement to show zero land tax due, but still wants money to fill in the form. Is there still a form to fill in even? I know the small amount for the form pales into bare insignificance when compared to overall costs... but still!
  • Hungry_nurse
    Options
    lorra63 said:
    I am in the process of purchasing a property with my partner of 6 years. The property is under the £500k for payment of stamp duty so what’s the issue? My partner is still officially married (long story but you can’t force someone to divorce if they don’t respond!) and still named on the deeds and mortgage for the former marital home - even though he is handing everything over to her.  The new property will be paid for with a large deposit from both of us and I am able to source a mortgage for the remainder. However because of the deposit he is contributing, this will make the property a second home and liable for stamp duty? Is this correct?  
    And can I do anything to not be liable?
    If she is still on the deeds of marital home, it's a second home sadly. Her ex needs to show deeds with his sole name 
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My solicitor has updated my financial statement to show zero land tax due, but still wants money to fill in the form. Is there still a form to fill in even?
    Yes, if the consideration is over £40k then a return still needs to be submitted even if no tax is actually payable.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My solicitor has updated my financial statement to show zero land tax due, but still wants money to fill in the form. Is there still a form to fill in even?
    Yes.
  • Hi,
    I have purchased a house for £ 205000 (cash buyer) - so no mortgage and signed contract 7.8.2020 - but I've been told that I still need to pay the stamp duty, is that correct. I believe that purchases under £250000 are extempt to pay the duty??  what can I do if they take the stamp duty payment regardless??
    Thanks!
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As you completed after the "holiday" which began on 8 July 2020 the SDLT is either zero or at 3%.  It could be at 3% if the rules for "additional properties" apply.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure