PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Calculator and Q&A discussion

Options

Comments

• VikW
    VikW Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi Everyone, hoping someone can help.

I bought a house for my Mum 7 years ago (cash buyer, no outstanding mortgage), I have never lived in the property. My Mum lives in the property and will continue to live in the property.

I am now in the process of buying a second house, but want to avoid the increased 10,000 stamp duty payment that would be required and wondered:

1. Is it possible to transfer the house over to my Mum to avoid the additional 7,500 payment
    2. How long would something like this take via?
    3. Is it legal?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated, struggling to find any concrete information!

Thanks
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VikW wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, hoping someone can help.

I bought a house for my Mum 7 years ago (cash buyer, no outstanding mortgage), I have never lived in the property. My Mum lives in the property and will continue to live in the property.

I am now in the process of buying a second house, but want to avoid the increased 10,000 stamp duty payment that would be required and wondered:

1. Is it possible to transfer the house over to my Mum to avoid the additional 7,500 payment
    3. Is it legal?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated, struggling to find any concrete information!

Thanks
    pay a profession solicitor to do it for you otherwise you will get a VERY BIG TAX BILL

you have owned a property for > 7 years that you have never lived in.
    If you gift, sell or otherwise "dispose" of the property to your mother you (not mother) will be liable for Capital Gains tax unless you can "create" (retrospective) paperwork that proves you have never had a beneficial interest in the property you are disposing of.

yes you can give it to mother and if done so before completing the purchase of your own home it would be perfectly legal way to avoid the higher rate SDLT, but the CGT bill may be somewhat larger than the extra SDLT depending on the numbers of course

no one can say how long it will take because we don't know your circumstances and what else you need to do
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    VikW wrote: »

3. Is it legal?
    It is unlikely to be sensible to completely give away a valuable asset to save about £7,500. Although in a narrow SDLT sense it would work, it is likely to cause other problems. As the gift is to a connected person it will be deemed to be a disposal at market value and as you have never lived in the property you can expect to pay capital gains tax.

Where have you been living for the last three years? If in rented or with family then there might not be an angle. But if for at least part of the period you lived in a home which you or a spouse owned and which has been sold, then you might be able to rely on the replacement exception. See SDLTM09800.
  • VikW
    Options
    Thank you, this is very helpful. The property has increased approximately £20,000 since purchase. Is this the figure used to calculate CGT?

I do have an appointment with a solicitor next week to go through the details but didn't want to go in not having a clue.

I have never lived at the property, currently renting with my partner, however, the property is my registered address and has been since I purchased it.

I realise now that I have made some serious mistakes in an attempt to avoid Inheritance Tax further down the line, which in hindsight would not have applied anyway due to the the price of the house and my Mums overall estate. You live and learn.
  • VikW
    Options
    I have been living in rented since 2013, however, my Mums address has been listed as my main address since it was purchased.

I totally agree that to give away a house to save 7,500 seems crazy. However, in my current situation, 7,500 is the difference between being able to move from my current rented accommodation and not.

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.
  • mbugsy18
    Options
    Hi, this is a query about stamp duty on a replacement main dwelling.
    I have found a house but the stamp duty is horrendous using the calculator so I will be selling my current residence and will be moving to this house if the offer is accepted. I am a second home house buyer as I have a rental property. I would like to know if I can reclaim or reduce my stamp duty as I am buying to live i this house. I have read an earlier post about SDLTM09800 but the examples have me puzzled as to when I need to sell my current house, it’s not yet on the market.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mbugsy18 wrote: »
    Hi, this is a query about stamp duty on a replacement main dwelling.
    I have found a house but the stamp duty is horrendous using the calculator so I will be selling my current residence and will be moving to this house if the offer is accepted. I am a second home house buyer as I have a rental property. I would like to know if I can reclaim or reduce my stamp duty as I am buying to live i this house. I have read an earlier post about SDLTM09800 but the examples have me puzzled as to when I need to sell my current house, it’s not yet on the market.

If you sell your main residence and buy another to live in then you pay standard SDLT only (assuming you are in England/Wales). It doesn't matter if you also have other property.

If you do this by buying the new residence first and then some time later selling the old one, that some time later needs to be within 3 years, you will initially have to pay the extra (additional) 3% SDLT and then can get it back (subject to 3 years rule) when you sell your original residence.

Is this your situation?
    Eg you live in A, own B as well, are selling A to buy C to live in?
  • mbugsy18
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    If you sell your main residence and buy another to live in then you pay standard SDLT only (assuming you are in England/Wales). It doesn't matter if you also have other property.

If you do this by buying the new residence first and then some time later selling the old one, that some time later needs to be within 3 years, you will initially have to pay the extra (additional) 3% SDLT and then can get it back (subject to 3 years rule) when you sell your original residence.

Is this your situation?
    Eg you live in A, own B as well, are selling A to buy C to live in?

Yes in London. So will a solicitor calculate the stamp duty? Does the HMRC calculator address the 3% surcharge or not? It has given me a calculation based on the purchase price I put in and ticked it will be my main residence. Thanks for your quick reply.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mbugsy18 wrote: »
    Yes in London. So will a solicitor calculate the stamp duty? Does the HMRC calculator address the 3% surcharge or not? It has given me a calculation based on the purchase price I put in and ticked it will be my main residence. Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes your solicitor will calculate it and yes the HMRC calculator addresses the 3% surcharge correctly as long as you put the right info in.
    What is the purchase price of the property you are looking to buy ?
  • mbugsy18
    Options
    The purchase price is £800K.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills