Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

josiebabie's change of life diary

in Debt free diaries
281 replies 15K views
Not the "change of life" as expected, I am only 25 after all! Though many things in my life are changing at the moment and couldn't think of a better diary name!

Here is a background to my situation; I am working full time, have a 2 year old DD and OH and I are nearly at the end of our relationship. We love each other to death but have gotten too close and ended up more like siblings.

We have credit card debts and a small loan which I am working very hard to pay off, I had my LBM for real a few months back, and you can find me on the small things thread everyday listing what I am doing. OH still hasn't really had his yet but it's flickering I think!!! I think we are the classic, too broke to break up couple! lol

Anyway, that's a bit of my background and I will post everyday and give updates under these titles:
Money in purse:
Money in bank
Bills still to pay:
Petrol still needed:
NSD's to date:

Not going to set myself any more than this as I will definately get bored (as will everyone else!!!)
Anyway I hope writing it down will help me sort stuff out! :o
Nothing to report as yet...give me a minute...!

Replies

• TriangleTriangle Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good luck lovely - your certainly on the right track judging from the "what small things" thread!

T
    x
    MFW!
    Started 1/12/22 - £196,000

Saving targets 2023
    Mortgage Overpayment £0/£2000
    Bathroom £0/£2000
    Big Birthday Trip £0/£2000
    Long Term Saving Pot £0/£2000
  • Lemon_TreeLemon_Tree Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    hi welcome to the boards, i love the small things thread though i don't always get to post on it. Certainly makes you see what effect the little forgotten things have.
  • josiebabiejosiebabie Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money in purse: £5.10
    Money in bank: £511.41
    Bills still to pay: Lots! £1081.18
    Petrol still needed: £40

This isn't as drastic as it looks, for a start, OH is to pay £745 into my account tomorrow anyway... He is a business manager at a car dealership so gets paid on commission, so it's all up and down. I am a service team manager for a large car dealership so earn pretty consistently but get a quarterly bonus. We used to use these to treat ourselves but now are using them to pay off debts!

Nothing exciting happened today MSE wise, I was so desperate to go and get something to eat across the shop but I stopped myself!
    1.2K Posts
    Urgh didn't want to get out of bed this morning, neither did DD and she was in a foul mood. Can a 2 yr old be classed as a pre-teen??

So todays MS hasn't started well as OH got up late and didn't make a lunch, that's £4 out of my purse straight away!

Need to check all statements online etc and my ebay, I have 9 items up at the moment ending on Sunday early evening but have a few decent watchers. Ebaying is something I'm trying to get into again after slacking for so long.

I have reached my £10 payout on Valued Opinions and just need to wait for the monies to register before I can claim my voucher, I think I'm going to to take Tesco vouchers, then it's just like cash and can be put towards my fuel!

On the subject of fuel, I had an enlightenment this morning. I have a 2.4 litre Petrol Estate car with 7 seats, I don't drive economically and never will, this is just something I have learnt to accept... in this car I get average 19mpg, which is awful I know, but only drive an 8 mile round trip in the morning so haven't really thought too much about it. I have the opportunity to buy a diesel T reg Astra for £200 which I could run along side my 7 seater (only need 7 seats every other weekend when the step children are here) This would save me lots of money in fuel, but then I will need to insure it, which might soak up the £40p/m I save in fuel usage??? The extra maintenence won't be an issue as my brother is a technician and I work at a car dealership. Ho hum, don't know what to doooo!!!!!

I will post my daily spends/situation in the evenings when I get home as this generally is the last ones of the day!
    1.2K Posts
    PS Child benefit went in this morning, so I can confirm they have my change of account details, wohoo.
  • Hi Josie:wave:

good luck xx
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - LBM Mar 2010

Start weight [STRIKE]11 st 8.5lbs[/STRIKE] now 10st 3lb
    £2 savers No.99 - £68 July No Spend Days 7/8

A&L [STRIKE]£202 [/STRIKE]£152 Barclaycard [STRIKE]£3882.89[/STRIKE] £3817.74 :mad:
    1.2K Posts
    Just paid phone bill £41.21. This does include picture messages of my brother's snowboarding accident in France and called from the Alps so I'm not surprised. Defo going PAYG though!
    1.2K Posts
    Ordered my contacts £9.98 for a month's worth, not too bad. And also took a 3 pack of tights back to Next at lunch time that I bought for DD, they were the wrong size. DIDN'T buy anything else! £3.50 back in my bank account!
    1.2K Posts
    Money in purse: £1.01 :mad: @ OH
    Money in bank: £368.84
    Bills still to pay: Lots! £1039.97
    Petrol still needed: £40

Lots of my debit card spending has registered on my accounts now but it's ok! It's all been budgeted for! My £3.50 Next refund won't show for a few days but £80.00 CB went in and registered, when OH pays his money in tomorrow I will be able to see where we are for the month.

The most exciting MSE thing though...we have a shower! This has enlighened me to the fact that I'll only now need the immersion heater on in the evenings to wash up and bathe DD, OH and I prefer showers anyway. Bonus on saving electricity, I'm excited for what my electricity monitor will say! Which reminds me, I need to reset all the times on it...probably giving the wrong readings at the moment.

Not doing a lot on the ebay front, a few watchers but only a couple of bids.

Going to Ikea on Friday with DM, WILL NOT spend too much...just enough :wink: It's really windy outside, anyone got snow?? The sun is out but it's been raining a lot today.

Anywho, DD is crashed out on the sofa, going to treat myself to a shower then an evening of sitting on the sofa not talking to OH or discussing our relationship issues! Yay!

PS did an interesting thing today, organised some parts to be taken in a Taxi to the middle of France! Worked out £1300 plus VAT to my company, should have taken a days holiday and done it myself! lol
  • Hi could you do lunch the night before? I do as i spent many a morning not having time?x
    good luck.x
    BTD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals