Free Museums and Galleries deals page discussion / Report top spots

Options

Comments

• redcar_2
    redcar_2 Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    M0n3y5av3r wrote: »
    Fort Nelson in Portsmouth, has been revamped (Summer 2011) and is a great place to visit, the indoor museum areas have been updated and include interactive exhibits. The tunnels are great fun for children to run through as they learn about the history of the fort.
    Thoroughly recommend this free day out.

Another vote for Fort Nelson from us. This is the website
    http://www.royalarmouries.org/visit-us/fort-nelson

Hopefully not too against the spirit of the thread but you can pay a little for the guided tour of the tunnels which is really interesting and worth it - free to just rummage around them under your own steam though. Plus loads more exhibits.
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    ajbisgr8 wrote: »
    Peterborough museum is free (voluntary donations if you feen philanthropic)
    I just though I'd bump this one as it's been left off the list. Website here.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • janinandover
    Options
    Andover Museums - free to visit. There's a small Natural History Gallery, History of Andover Galleries, and The Museum of the Iron Age which links to the Iron Age Hillfort at Danebury. Also has a small sales area and coffee shop. Until 9th June 2013 there's also a HUGE Lego model of an Iron Age Village. And in school holidays there are trails for children, around the galleries.

Most Hampshire museums are free but usually closed on Mondays

More information at 'hants.gov.uk/museum' (As a new user I can't post a proper link)
  • chyebren_2
    Options
    I'd like to recommend this free volunteer museum in Lower Fore Street, Saltash. It has great exhibitions of local and general historical interest with lots of things for children to do when they visit. The current exhibition is all about water (appropriate for a town on the river Tamar!) with bathing, laundry, fishing and fire engine paraphanalia, water creatures and loads more. Open Weds and Sat afternoons.
  • UncleFred
    Options
    The Dock Museum at Barrow (LA14 2PW) is built down into the town's graving dock and in addition to the history of Barrow and Furness - including the recently-discovered Furness Viking Hoard - contains excellent displays relating to shipbuilding, including wonderful large-scale ship models, and good temporary exhibitions, currently Northern Lights by John Duffin (until June 26th). Open 11 to 4, Wednesday to Sunday - last admissions 3.30.
  • wortblossom
    wortblossom Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    Westbrom Art Gallary - called the Public. We had a brilliant day out there. Entry is free, the gallary itself is great and over 3 floors. They do workshops for the children £4 each lasting from 11.30 till 2.30 , they range from painting/shadows with computers to computer game programming to stop motion lego films the children create themselves.
  • chyebren_2
    Options
    I recommended this great little free museum at the end of May (message #135) but it's not been included in your main list.
    May I ask why not?

I didn't include that they have a website here:
    saltash-heritage.org.uk

Please do list it on your main page as there are so few museums showing for my county.

Thank you
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    Peterborough Museum and Art Gallery

Recently refurbished, home to an original Victorian operating theatre, a superb collection of local marine fossils and a fascinating collection of prisoners' artworks from the Napoleonic prison camp at Norman Cross.

And, this summer, a space exhibition with Dr Who models..who indeed could ask for more?
    import this
  • absent42
    Options
    Vane
    vane.org.uk

Contemporary art gallery

First Floor
    Commercial Union House
    39 Pilgrim Street
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    NE1 6QE
    UK

Telephone: +44 (0) 191 261 8281

Open Wed-Sat 12pm-5pm
  • Piscopuppy
    Options
    The Bluecoat in Liverpool.
    Lovely old building with contemporary art exhibitions.
    Free entry.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure