PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What foods can/can't you freeze?

Options

Comments

• beetplek
    beetplek Posts: 501 Forumite
    Options
    lynzpower wrote: »
    One revelation is you can freeze eggs. :T so i have some mini tupperwares, I break 2 or 3 eggs with a dash of milk. beat lightly with a fork.

Handy for when I fancy eg ried rice or something like that, bring the tupperware out of the freezer when im bringing the meat out.

I freeze bread ends whizzed into breadcrumbs- handy when we are doing HM chicken nuggets/fish fingers.

If we are going away for the weekend, and we have a half pint of milk left I usually freeze that too.

If theres a couple of slices of ham thgat qare going a bit on the dry side, i chop them and stick in the freezer handy for a pizza topping.

things like courgettes, beansprouts, peppers - those veg with a high water content dont freeze that well.

I really wouldn`t advise anyone to freeze any types of eggs as they are one of the most common causes for food poisoning. It will most likely occur when you are defrosting them.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ive got my basic food hygiene certificate! Im not worried about this at all :) they are fully cooked through too.

in fact the biggest cause of food poisioning is reheating rice. Which I also do regularly :)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Second most important rule of freezing is ONLY FREEZE GOOD QUALITY INGREDIENTS. If something is on the turn, nearly off, or past its sell by date, freezing will not make it better.

It's much better to freeze as soon as you can. Worst thing that'll happen is that you'll freeze it one day, decide you need it the next.

BTW The first most important rule of freezing is DO NOT REFREEZE :
    - raw food that has been defrosted (and not cooked)
    - cooked food that was cooked, frozren, and then defrosted.
    Hope that makes sense.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://www.eggs.ca/eggfacts/eggfreeze.asp
    http://www.helpwithcooking.com/egg-guide/buying-storing-eggs.html
    http://www.georgiaeggs.org/pages/freezingeggs.html

Loads of sites offer advice on freezing eggs, something I've only done once but never had any problems.

To be honest anything can be unsafe if not done properly.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • orchid-96
    orchid-96 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    This is a revelation, I must have wasted so much stuff in the past - especially veg and potatoes...

I was actually going to ask about pasata as I always open a carton then end up wasting it when not used a couple of days later - have got one in the fridge now, so will freeze that later...

Now I just need to sort my freezer out as it needs a bit of a tidy up :o

One thing I do which is a sort of tip (I can't think of anything else that isn't already here) I sometimes freeze slices of lemon in ice cube trays so that the ice cube has a nice and ready lemon slice in it for g&t's :beer:

Happy Friday
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think passata even says on a lot of cartons you can freeze it. To save freezer tubs I tend to put a bag inside a tub, fill it and seal, freeze the bag inside the tub then pop the bag out with the contents in once frozen. Another way is freeze in a container then pop out into a bag when frozen.
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lynzpower wrote: »
    If we are going away for the weekend, and we have a half pint of milk left I usually freeze that too.

Can I freeze milk for a week, I'm thinking when we go on holiday we throw away what we have open. It would be less than a pint bottle, but even so :eek:
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep, I've frozen it for over a month before as long as you freeze it before the use by date.
  • overlykeensaver
    Options
    this is a great thread :T- I didn't think about freezing milk and eggs.

Can you freeze sweet potatoes? We like them baked - can I freeze them in their skins after baking?

Is this how you freezed normal baked potatoes too?

thanks!
  • Pop_Up_Pundit
    Options
    further thought re the watery veg not freezing well - courgettes & peppers do absolutely fine if you roast them first. One of my favourite pack lunches is a bean salad from the freezer - I have boiled and frozen lots of mixed beans (pinto, borlotti, cannelini, kidney etc). Take out a portion, add a portion of frozen roasted peppers & courgettes, bung in a tupperware. I then mix up a wee bottle of vinaigrette, and bingo! By the time lunch rolls around it is defrosted, add dressing & eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport