PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What foods can/can't you freeze?

Options

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone earlier asked about freezing mashed potato. I've seen frozen mashed potato for sale - why? I ask myself. How hard can it be to boil a few spuds up?

Anyway, my late FIL used to buy loads of tomatoes when they were going cheap, and freeze them whole to use in cooking. He was one of those people you couldn't tell anything to, so I stopped wasting my breath about it. Try using them in cooking - you might as well just use plain ice cubes.
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi just noticed on another thread you can freeze milk,butter,cheese,well I didn't know that.
    So it has me wondering what can I freeze, so I and no doubt many would love to find out and of course how to do it.
    I hope no one gives me the cold shoulder on this one. thanks
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, my most recent discoveries from here are:

You can freeze baked potatoes
    You can freeze raw chopped onions - saves doing it most days
    You can freeze most non-iced hm cakes
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I also freeze the Organic fat free yogurt - it freezes fine and tastes no different when you stir it after defrosted. Depends what you want to freeze - can do loads of veg - cut up and blanched - what would you want to try and freeze.
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    I freeze all bread products, you can freeze wine in ice cube trays for cooking and also passata for pasta sauces.
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you ever see it in a charity shop, I can highly recommend the St Michael Freezer cookery book - ie a M&S one from the late 70s / early 80s - it has a pale blue cover. As well as all the basic info, it has some fabulous recipes - it's one of my bibles
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Fresh herbs - they are expensive to buy at about £1 a plant and you only use part of the plant then they die. Use what you need and freeze the rest, they last months.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think possibly easier to ask what you can't since finding the help on thi site I waste so much less as I freeze it.

With freezing - if it's fresh you can usually freeze it but watery veg like cucumber can go icky, think 'can I buy this frozen' if you can you can most likely freeze it yourself. Veg a lot tend to blanch or freeze cooked but many can be frozen from fresh. Meat and other foods I follow a rule from fresh of - freeze once, cook once, freeze after cooking, reheat (DO NOT FREEZE AGAIN) If it comes frozen miss out the freeze once first and go straight to cooking then follow same rules. If you're unsure if a meat has been previously frozen or not then cook before freezing just incase.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One revelation is you can freeze eggs. :T so i have some mini tupperwares, I break 2 or 3 eggs with a dash of milk. beat lightly with a fork.

Handy for when I fancy eg ried rice or something like that, bring the tupperware out of the freezer when im bringing the meat out.

I freeze bread ends whizzed into breadcrumbs- handy when we are doing HM chicken nuggets/fish fingers.

If we are going away for the weekend, and we have a half pint of milk left I usually freeze that too.

If theres a couple of slices of ham thgat qare going a bit on the dry side, i chop them and stick in the freezer handy for a pizza topping.

things like courgettes, beansprouts, peppers - those veg with a high water content dont freeze that well.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    As well as meat, small bag of frozen peas and HM bread rolls, I freeze:

- Milk
    - Cheddar (either grated or in blocks)
    - sliced mozarella for pizzas (buy on offer). These are open frozen first then bagged up
    - paté (inc HM)
    - Sliced sweet peppers - open frozen first - add frozen to bolognaise or curries
    - Sliced lemon/lime for my G & T's! - open frozen first
    - whole chillis
    - breadcrumbs (open frozen first)
    - Peeled ginger
    - Sliced, dry fried slices of aubergine (ready for moussaka) - also open frozen
    - Herbs I haven't had a chance to use (fresh ones in their bags then just crunch up when I need to use them
    - icecubes of leftover coconut milk
    - home-blanched portion bags of brussel sprouts, carrots, turnip, parsnips, swede, spinach, sliced mushrooms, (this is because I dont' have the room for shop bought large bags of these) raw: mange tout, baby corn, asparagus, corn on the cobs, chopped celery
    - HM Meals - spag bol, chilli, stews, shep pie, fish pie, salmon encroute, curries, mashed potato (I prepare this when the potatoes are looking on the verge of sprouting), chicken casseroles, HM soups.
    - HM Garlic and herb butter - rolled using greaseproof paper into a long tube shape

In fact, my freezer is permanently a real effort to close as I only have 2 and a half drawers!!

I've never thought of slicing onions - great idea!

If I know I will be working late, in the morning, I bung some frozen lamb chops in with a handful of the frozen winter veg, sprinkle some stew pulses on top, add a bay leaf, some dried rosemary, a pint or so of water and a Kallo stock cube into my SC in the morning - hey presto - lamb stew to come home to! I serve with some of the defrosted mash or boil some potatoes.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family