PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What foods can/can't you freeze?

Options

Comments

• raffe
    raffe Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    you can freeze bananas
  • tickb26
    tickb26 Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thats what i thought cos i have a bag of smoothie mix in my freezre fo LO and that has banana in it.
    Tickb26
    XOXOXO
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    do you mean doesn't freeze well?

Lettuce, cucumber...in fact most salad items.

Most meats freeze very well, most veg freeze well but you have to blanch some before you can freeze them and things like peppers can't be used raw after they have been frozen because they go soggy.

hope this helps a bit.
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • andycarmi
    andycarmi Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    In my Annabel Karmel 100 baby purres is says you can't freeze them as they go brown and slimy:confused:
  • andycarmi
    andycarmi Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Morty_007 wrote: »
    do you mean doesn't freeze well?

yes,thanks.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can freeze mushrooms too - I slice them and freeze them ready to throw into bol sauces and the like.

I also freeze bananas - peel, wrap in cling film and freeze - use in banana muffins/cakes etc although I'm told you can eat them like banana ice lollies (not something I fancy so haven't tried that one)
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    I think bananas are like peppers in that you can freeze them...but then you can't eat them raw. You need to cook them or add them to something. There is no harm in freezing them as far as I know, put it that way.
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Yes, Morty is correct. They are fine if you are using them like icelollies-I dip them in chocolate and add sprinkles. No good to eat "as fresh" though. I have just frozen a load of mushrooms tonight but they are of course only suitable to use in stews or whatever. You couldnt treat them as raw.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi andy,

There's an older thread on what you can't freeze that should help so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the replies together.

Pink
  • emmaroids
    emmaroids Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Options
    i froze some mushrooms once and they ended up socky and horrid and full of water ><
    i wouldent recomend freezing mushys.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills