PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What foods can/can't you freeze?

Options

Comments

• Bambam
    Bambam Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    When you freeze your roast meat with gravy use a slightly thinner gravy than you would normally. The gravy stops the meat drying out. You can use foil containers which can be bought from places like Wilko and provided you re-heat the meat to 'piping hot' temperature it can be re-heated from frozen. Just put the foil container straight into the oven until its.... well, piping hot really. The time depends on how much meat you are re-heating.:wave:
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    :kisses3:
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    you can either leave it out to defrost before reheating, or you can reheat from frozen, either is fine just make sure its piping hot.
  • lady_noluck
    Options
    Stupid question I know but please bear with me :o

I really want to make some meals from scratch and freeze them but don't know how long I can store them frozen before they go bad. (I have a habit of putting something in the freezer and forgetting it exists:rolleyes:) And could I freeze fruit/veg without it spoiling when I defrost it? Again, I buy fruit/ veg then never use it in time and end up chucking most of it away.
    My mind not only wanders .......... sometimes it leaves completely
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strictly speaking it's meant to be about two-three weeks, although I regularly eat food which has been in there for months! And I'm still alive to tell the ta
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had stuff in my freezer for ages over the years. I always use the rule that if it looks ok and smells ok when I take it out, then it is safe to eat! So far we have lived to tell the tales and my children seem healthy enough so it obviously seems to work.

I freeze anything that is left over - veggies, soup, gravy, potatoes etc etc. the only thing that I have found that doesn't freeze too well is cooked pasta - it freezes ok but when reheating it I find that it is a bit too starchy.

Trial and error is the way forwards, and trust your insticts. I am sure you will not go far wrong.

Good luck!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have made a carrot cake today for my DD birthday and used an American recipe. I have tons of cream cheese frosting, far too much for the cake. In OS style, I don't want to waste it, do you think it will freeze/defrost well for next time? It has cream cheese, butter and icing sugar in it.

Thanks
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Should freeze ok - cream cheese can be frozen, as can butter so the mixture should be just fine :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • jrrowleyws
    Options
    Ive frozen it before, works ok.. but needs a little more icing sugar when its defrosted to bring it back to the right consistency.

Or defrost it and dip biscuits in -rather nice! :)
  • andycarmi
    andycarmi Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    I know you can't freeze banana's or mushooms is there anything else that doesn't freeze well? Thanks.
  • tickb26
    tickb26 Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    why cant you freeze them?
    Tickb26
    XOXOXO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate