Couch to 5k Running - Part Two

Options

Comments

• Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    Daft question - are all 3 runs for each week the same?
    Now proud Mumto3 :j
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mumto2 wrote: »
    Daft question - are all 3 runs for each week the same?

Mostly yes although week 5 doesn't do it that way for some reason :)

see this for more detail

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, I have done my first one this morning! I haven't run anywhere since school and I'm now nearly 47:eek:! I managed to do the first 4 bursts of running and managed to do part of the 5th and 6th, was feeling a bit of a faliure but then looked on the bright side and realised I was good to run the first 4!!
    I found my legs were ok it was my lungs that struggled and my very hot face! I wasn't even going fast! :rotfl:
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well, I have done my first one this morning! I haven't run anywhere since school and I'm now nearly 47:eek:! I managed to do the first 4 bursts of running and managed to do part of the 5th and 6th, was feeling a bit of a faliure but then looked on the bright side and realised I was good to run the first 4!!
    I found my legs were ok it was my lungs that struggled and my very hot face! I wasn't even going fast! :rotfl:

you shouldn't go fast you should go very very very slow :) or certainly that's what works for me anyway. Don't think I managed the full first run first time round either, it's not how good you are at it or how fast, it's just keeping sticking with it that makes the difference.

Very well done you!!
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options

Well done :D

Don't feel a failure, you are out there doing it when many many aren't! I agree with belfastgirl, I run slowly to try and pace myself for lasting the distance. But it wasn't something I knew to do the first time around.
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • Sammy_Girl
    Sammy_Girl Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, well done everyone - you're all doing really well - keep it up :j:j:j

Bertiebots - I run alone. Well with my dog actually, does that count as a running partner??? He's quite a lot faster than me though :o. We go quite early in the mornings so don't see many other people, thankfully!

I did my Week 2 Run 1 yesterday, and impressed myself :D The 90 seconds didn't seem that much longer than the 60 seconds. Will do my other 2 runs on Wednesday and Friday.

I echo the running/jogging slow bit. It's best to get your hear rate up, whilst still maintaining a slow and steady speed.
  • Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    Have got a bit of a dilemma. Have got a sore hamstring today, have done some gentle walking and about 40kms on exercise bike.
    Due to do Run 2, Wk 1 tomorrow. Tempted to go ahead, but I'll literally be getting up at 6am and heading straight out of the door as that will be the only opportunity I get to do it. (little one is only 2, so need to do it when hubby's home and I'm out tomorrow night).
    It's a fairly constant, dull ache which I'm guessing is better than a really painful hurt :p.
    Other option is to have an extra rest day and run on Weds/Fri which gives me much better times to run. BUT I feel like I'm putting it off :(.

Sorry about the moan, but nobody here to talk to apart from you guys ;)
    Now proud Mumto3 :j
  • teachergirl
    teachergirl Posts: 767 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there mumto2. I think you should have a rest day. You aren't putting it off.It is three runs in a week so Weds and Fri are fine. better that than do yourself some damage and not be able to run again. By the way 40km on a bike doesn't actually sound like a rest day anyway:) keep doing the gentle walking.
    busiscoming2 I am also nearly 47 ...us younguns should stick together;) Anyway I also bet you ran faster than you thought. My week 1 run 1 made me hurt so bad I could hardly walk for the next two whole days. I take it a bit slower now and am building up the speed gradually. Well done belfastgirl23:T 25minutes is amazing.
    Keep going everyone.
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    Mumto2 If I were you I would rest it and do your run on wednesday! You may do more harm than good trying to run on it in the morning?. Better to give yourself time to rest and enjoy it when you have more time ;).

Its my first run in the morning and I am really looking forward to it, despite the forcast for rain ,sleet ,thunderstorms and snow this week:eek:!!
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • teachergirl
    teachergirl Posts: 767 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi there bertiebots..totally agree it is the one problem with running outside. I have to run tomorrow as well and the forcast is not too good here either.
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure