Couch to 5k Running - Part Two

Options

Comments

• Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    juno wrote: »
    Bums legs and tums isn't just about being fit. Depending on the class it can be dancey, so even fit people can struggle if they have no co-ordination. That's actually a good thing, because then you can laugh at yourself/other people and enjoy it more.

The first time you will struggle, as they'll say "raise your knee" and you'll be like "!!!!, what's my knee?!" or my problem is I get on the wrong leg, correct it, and then go wrong 2 seconds later.

:eek: You aren't making it sound good! :rotfl:

Had a horrible night with broken washing machine and clothes being stuck in it. Had to drag soaking wet soapy clothes to the launderette first thing this morning. Have to collect them on the way home. Just ranting here really ;)
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • sarsief
    sarsief Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm an outside runner, mainly as I can't really afford a gym membership at the moment. I like to do classes too, but that won't be for a while, really trying to save the pounds.
    Am trying to walk home from work as much as possible too.

Outside running seems to be tougher on the legs tho, mainly as the footpaths are so bumpy ... ah lovely London! :) Not sure I'm happy about it getting lighter earlier tho, I quite prefer running in the dark, no one can see how terrible I look!!! :)

ginvzt, i run slowly too, sometimes i think i walk faster than i run!
    Couch to 5K Running 2009/2010/2011

I'm all about the freebies!! :)
  • ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sarsief wrote: »
    ginvzt, i run slowly too, sometimes i think i walk faster than i run!

That makes two of us! I can walk at the same speed I run - it is so much easier! I have always been 'fast walker', my mum used to say that I walk not like a girl when I was a child.

I am lucky, that my gym membership is 'partially' paid by my work. It is £19.99 here for single membership, and we have a joint one for £35, and I get £12 back from my employer (before tax, of course...)
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • Gopppers
    Gopppers Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    Done week 6 run 2 yesterday!! Some how i found that easier than run 1 but i did it anyway... still REALLY unsure about my next (25 min) run... seems a long time to be running!! :s

Well i'm going to go to the gym tomorrow and attempt it and will let you guys know how i got on. :sss

I too run VERY slow and can walk the speed I'm running... so Ginvzt and sarsief, we are in the same boat! My goal is to be able to jog for the golden 30 mins... will work on speed after that (if i ever get there)!!

Good luck all
    Gops x
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member #881 :D
  • Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    Am hoping to start at the weekend. Going to download podcast hopefully tonight.

But - grass or pavement? We've got a park (field) opposite which I could run on, or have lovely wide pavements going round the big block we live.

What do you think?
    Now proud Mumto3 :j
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mumto2 wrote: »
    Am hoping to start at the weekend. Going to download podcast hopefully tonight.

But - grass or pavement? We've got a park (field) opposite which I could run on, or have lovely wide pavements going round the big block we live.

What do you think?
    Grass can be dangerous, as there can be hidden holes that you can fall down. So if you choose that, do have a check if it seems flat first. It is supposed to be better for your joints, though.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• shandyclover
    Options
    I'm following the couch to 5 km programme but I heard about it before I joined MSE and the one I'm following seems to be a different website with different podcasts to the one you are all using...

djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

I hope I'm not out of sync with the rest of you - it does seem to be a very similiar programme.

Presently on day 2 week 3. I keep worrying as I'm not actually running yet, or even jogging, just walking very, very fast. So far it's not been too difficult. I really hate running being as I'm so short (5.2) and about 10kg overweight and have dodgey knees. I also really hate that wheezing gasping feeling. So far that hasn't happened so I'm thinking if my cardio fitness improves as it should I may actually enjoy running.

My hubby is very fit and tends to go out for 15 km runs for the fun of it on the weekend! He's descended from a long line of runners one one of those that is lean as a race horse and never puts on an ounce:mad:. I feel very silly coming in all pink faced pleased with myself for completing what is basically a walk in the park for him, but bless him he always commends me.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm following the couch to 5 km programme but I heard about it before I joined MSE and the one I'm following seems to be a different website with different podcasts to the one you are all using...

djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

I hope I'm not out of sync with the rest of you - it does seem to be a very similiar programme.

It seems to be the same program, but instead of run/walk it gives you different BMP (beats per minute?). I find running much more harder than walking, even if the speed is the same. If you are like me, I would start running instead of walking very very fast.

Are you using heart rate monitor with your program?

Ok, I have to confess - I skipped my run tonight. I am having some cramps (time of the month is coming) and as we are trying for a baby, I decided not to risk. I might have to give it a miss for the rest of the week, but I will be back, repeating week from start.
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Presently on day 2 week 3. I keep worrying as I'm not actually running yet, or even jogging, just walking very, very fast. So far it's not been too difficult. I really hate running being as I'm so short (5.2) and about 10kg overweight and have dodgey knees. I also really hate that wheezing gasping feeling. So far that hasn't happened so I'm thinking if my cardio fitness improves as it should I may actually enjoy running.

My hubby is very fit and tends to go out for 15 km runs for the fun of it on the weekend! He's descended from a long line of runners one one of those that is lean as a race horse and never puts on an ounce:mad:. I feel very silly coming in all pink faced pleased with myself for completing what is basically a walk in the park for him, but bless him he always commends me.

Are you me?? Seriously, height, weight, dodgy knees and superfit hubby are all the same. Although I might be a bit more overweight than you (11.3/ 72 kilos) And if it's any inspiration I'm now up at the 20 min nonstop run.

Be sure you have properly fitted shoes though or your knees will go on you :)
  • evian1
    evian1 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    After struggling with my week 2 run 3 last night I've been to the gym this evening and did it again and am sooo pleased I managed it!:j I think I even did a little skip to the car:D!!!! Now I've got to see if OH can look after the kids so I can squeeze another gym session in over the weekend.

shandyclover I wouldn't worry about not running at least your trying, maybe when you feel ready you could try a gentle jog/run,

My OH runs 3times a week for at least 40mins and doesn't even break into a sweat.:mad:

keep jogging!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport