Orlando & Florida - Questions & Answers (Part 1) *CLOSED*

Options

Comments

• Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    denny250 wrote: »
    you must have had a bad experience then because every dealing i and my friends have had with travel city have been exellant
    I've been with TCD and Virgin. Virgin by far the better. Better planes, better standard baggage allowance (it was 2x32kg bags per person at the time), you can pre book your seats on line for no extra cost, better food, better service. If you can get Virgin for a similar price then go with Virgin as there are no hidden extras like TCD which charge you extra for every little thing.

I booked my flights, car hire and accommodation separately.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    denny250 wrote: »
    you must have had a bad experience then because every dealing i and my friends have had with travel city have been exellant

Nope, never had any personal dealings with them, I've merely researched all companies that fly from Glasgow to Sanford/Orlando, and found a great deal of issues with TCD.

Try and buy a flight only from them - then see what the comparative cost is elsewhere. Do the same for accommodation, and you'll see they are not good value for money, and that's not even taking into account the other problems they have.

If you encounter a problem with one of these so called 'budget airlines', and I use the term tentatively, you will find out they have little in the way of resources to back them up, hence stories of incredible delays etc.
  • atro1
    atro1 Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    Options
    Moob on the whole I would agree with you re TCD. I certainly would not book in advance with them because the price they ask and the price you pay are totally different.
    But we booked this year in June. 5 days before we flew, Flight and car. for two for just under £400. That was the smallest car, we ended up with a 7 seat er. The XL flights were on time actually leaving Sanford 3 minutes early. The staff on the aircraft were great happy and helpful! Better than the Virgin crew we had in March! The aircraft was quite ancient with the seats never staying in the upright position just kept going backwards. Legroom I would say was the same as virgin /BA.
    So having to speak as you find--- In saying that I still would not book ahead with TCD, and we have booked independently since 1988.
    Keep an eye out for deals with any American airlines they do tend to be better than ours
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • Louisa_Jane_2
    Options
    Has anyone flown with Mytravel(Airtours) to Sanford - are they OK ? Do you get seat back TVs ? I'm asking as I can get a (relatively !) good price with them for August 2008. I'm debating whether to book that now or wait until I can book a Virgin fly drive or something, which looks as though it will be a lot more expensive - Help!
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone flown with Mytravel(Airtours) to Sanford - are they OK ?

I have once. We were in premium economy and had no complaints about the flight , that was fine , but we arrived at Sanford to find that the booking for the car hire had never arrived so that put us off using them again!

We used Travel City several times which i always used to recommend , but apparently there's problems with delays with them and if I went to Orlando again i'd more than likely use Virgin.
    Same old same old since 2008

• moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone flown with Mytravel(Airtours) to Sanford - are they OK ? Do you get seat back TVs ? I'm asking as I can get a (relatively !) good price with them for August 2008. I'm debating whether to book that now or wait until I can book a Virgin fly drive or something, which looks as though it will be a lot more expensive - Help!

I think whether or not you get seat-back tvs depends on the type of aircraft and/or the class you're flying in.

I'm flying with them in 9 days time, but generally, most people are happy with them from the research I've done. One thing to note is that their seats don't have a great pitch, so if you or any of your party are tall, you may wish to pay for an upgrade in class, or extra legroom.

If you do book with them, don't use the car in the package as the insurance is very expensive. Book independantly using someone like uscarhire.co.uk, around £200 for 2 weeks all in.
  • Mixupat
    Options
    Going to orlando for first time in november. Flights and hotel are booked. Is it better to book tickets for parks/shows before you go or is there better value in booking when you arrive?
  • Amys
    Amys Posts: 919 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Usually better to get the 'ultimate' tickets here before you go, they are good value and not available in the US. They are all inclusive of the different parks and allow you to vist more than one park each day.
  • Browntrout_2
    Options
    moob wrote: »
    I think whether or not you get seat-back tvs depends on the type of aircraft and/or the class you're flying in.
    etc

We flew economy and saved approx £800, we didn't have seat back TVs but we used iPOD and PSP to watch movies we copied at home using DVDFAB Platinum 30 day free trail software, with a £25 4Mb memory card in a PSP you can store about 6 full length films.

Alternatively use the £800 to purchase 4 of 30Gb video iPODs!
    If it takes a man a week to walk to walk a fortnight how long does it take a fly with tackity boots on to walk through a barrel of treacle?
  • Browntrout_2
    Options
    vix2000 wrote: »
    has anyone got any advice on buying a pay as you go sim to use whilst in orlando please?

http://www.tracfone.com/index.jsp

We had two Motorola C139 at $15 each of these and spent $20 topping each of them up. We got 60 units on each for the $40 total.

rates_1unit.gif

The only downside is that the units are perishable, three months I think.

Also by dialling 1800 706 3839 you can make International calls for local call rates. To phone home simply dial 18007063839 (stored in phonebook) select 1 for English language, dial 01144 for UK then telephone number, e.g. 131 234 5678 or 7967 123456, the only number that wouldn't work for me was an 0870 number to check on flights, I had to find the 0131 number.

You buy and sell these on ebay from other holiday makers, or keep them for next year.
    If it takes a man a week to walk to walk a fortnight how long does it take a fly with tackity boots on to walk through a barrel of treacle?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure