Orlando & Florida - Questions & Answers (Part 1) *CLOSED*

Options

Comments

• franklally
    franklally Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Wheelie wrote: »
    Thanks, I have just booked with Carhire3000 as they had a deal on for a free upgrade to an SUV from a full sized car.

I've used carhire3000 several times now and am very happy with them - I buy the full tank of fuel with the packagae (which never seems to be much more) so I don't have to worry about returning it full.

For disney a bright yellow aerial topper - father christmas - bought for 17p in Tescos in February was always great for finding our car in the car parks:j
  • Jays
    Jays Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    We want to take our two teenager sons over to the Florida parks during the Autumn Half Term but have not booked anything yet.

Have we left it too late?

Could we get any last minute deals, now, or closer to the time?

Would you suggest booking a hotel, an apartment or hiring a villa? Or even, booking motel rooms when we arrive (or would we risk not having a bed each night).

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks
    Jays
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    Jays wrote: »
    We want to take our two teenager sons over to the Florida parks during the Autumn Half Term but have not booked anything yet.

Have we left it too late?

Could we get any last minute deals, now, or closer to the time?

Would you suggest booking a hotel, an apartment or hiring a villa? Or even, booking motel rooms when we arrive (or would we risk not having a bed each night).

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks
    Jays

Dunno about the current flight cost, as I dunno when half term is tbh.

However, there are some very cheap hotel prices available via priceline - I'd try reading the content of this very helpful post.

You may wish to consider car hire and I'd recommend this company.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Autumn half term is a great time to go on holiday to Florida as the US school kids are not off on holiday at the same time. Its also not too hot and it doesn't rain as much. People have cottoned onto this fact however and it is now much harder to get a flight than it was say, five or six years ago. My husband works for an airline and we've even given up going then (we don't have kids).

You should still be able to get some good deals, but don't leave it too late as the prices (for scheduled flights anyway) can get really high/fully booked.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • CostCutter
    Options
    Hi I'm just posting this here too as I didn't see the sticky for Florida/Orlando
    had originally posted on the travel board. :rolleyes:

Hi Folks

We are hoping to go to Orlando for Christmas & New Year, I have been searching but as we have never been before I'm not sure who to book with or if there are any real bargains out there to be had!

I would really like to stay at one of the Disney Resorts but the all seem a bit expensive. The cheapest quote I have had so far is £2999.
    This was for 14 nights at Disney Pop Century Resort
    Flights from Heathrow to Orlando
    & car.
    This was for 2 Adults & 1 Child.

If I could get cheaper flights ( 22/12/07 - 05/01/08 ) I could possible book direct with resort cheaper, but I can't find any cheap flights!

Please could anyone offer advice, or does anyone know where I can go to get a bargain Florida / Disney holiday.

Thanks in advance :D

CC
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    CostCutter wrote: »
    Hi I'm just posting this here too as I didn't see the sticky for Florida/Orlando

Hi Folks

We are hoping to go to Orlando for Christmas & New Year, I have been searching but as we have never been before I'm not sure who to book with or if there are any real bargains out there to be had!

I would really like to stay at one of the Disney Resorts but the all seem a bit expensive. The cheapest quote I have had so far is £2999.
    & car.

If I could get cheaper flights ( 22/12/07 - 05/01/08 ) I could possible book direct with resort cheaper, but I can't find any cheap flights!

Please could anyone offer advice, or does anyone know where I can go to get a bargain Florida / Disney holiday.

CC
    For same price as Pop Century (motel standard), we stayed at Buena Vista Palace (5V on the Virgin scale), just been totally refurbished, 5 mins from Downtown Disney.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options

Hi Folks

& car.

CC

Did a quick search for you on comparison site here. Flights coming in around the £600 mark.

Car hire around £200 fully insured from these guys - I've used them before and they're really good.

You should be able to get a hotel room near Disney areas much cheaper than £1000 for 2 weeks. I'd try my luck on Priceline's 'name your price' method. Details of which are posted here.

It will require a fair amount of research on your part however, but I'm confident you should get a good reduction on the above quote, although there is a possibility you may have to think of a different accomodation.

Good luck.
  • KarenG
    KarenG Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options

The flights are expensive because it is peak period (ie schools have just broken up, plus it's a Saturday ). If you were prepared to fly out on Xmas Day or Boxing Day (a lot of people are not prepared to do this) the price should be significantly cheaper.

I generally (though not always) find it's cheaper to book the flights and car hire separate to the hotel booking.

I can recommend Pop Century - it's basic but lots of fun with many Disney touches.

It will be super-busy at the parks (I'm just mentioning this in case you don't know already) at this time of year.

HTH

Karen
  • CostCutter
    CostCutter Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the response guys, I will do a bit more searching - try pricing up seperately.

Do you think it is cheaper to book a hotel direct? I noticed the price in dollars would be cheaper.
    Also do you think it would be worth waiting until real last minute and see if I could get a bargin? Sorry for all the what ifs just trying to work out the best price.

I kind of guessed the parks would be busy wasn't sure just how busy tho!
    Is it not a good time to go?

Thanks

CC
  • denny250
    denny250 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned these people before but when we go to Florida we use a company called travel city direct
    ( www.travelcitydirect.com )
    their website isn't very good although it is ok for comparison but when you phone them ( 0871 911 2567 ) i have found you always get friendly knowledgeable staff who cant do enough to help you
    Oh and you also get a cracking deal compared to the bigger airlines ie virgin
    we are going in may and saved over £1400 on the Virgin price for the same holiday :j:j:j:j
    Received £4541 reclaimed from Natwest :j:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport