PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sole plate of iron (cleaning)

Options

Comments

• studentgirl_2
    Options
    Hi I have burnt the bottom on my iron on a few occassions :confused: but it is really bad now. Please can someone give me some advise on how to clean this burnt on much off. I know I should turn it down a bit when I use it. What a silly girl am I.
  • jaygrand
    Options
    Tried the soap: Useless
    tried the green side of a sponge: Useless
    only way to get results: Get one of these "metal wool" pan scourers and rub the sole in the direction of the ironing: Gets rid of the problem. Don't forget to rinse the sole and to iron a slightly wet tea towel before ironing your clothes again.
  • ScotlandsFinest
    Options
    Try toothpaste. Heat iron up and rub toothpaste on. Then rub with a rough cloth. Our iron had really thick black stuff on it. Nothing would take it off until i tried this. Brilliant!
  • ammonite
    ammonite Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks,
    I am new to this housework malarkey having moved into my 1st home recently. I ironed a vest top which had lacy bits at the top. Turns out the lacy bits are now stuck to my iron. It seems to be some sort of hot glue attached to the iron. Its a properly posh Steam Generator iron and I have no idea what to do!!!!!!!!

Could anyone suggest how best to clean the stuff off the iron? :A
  • paloma
    paloma Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    If it was a synthetic plasticy type trim you might be able to carefully peel it off when it's cooled down.

If like me, you're too impatient for that I find a firm rub with a damp knitted type cloth might help, it won't damage the surface of the iron. Mind you don't burn your hand, though.

I've found it best to iron anything with a trim through a teatowel. Steam generators are more fierce than you first realise!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi ammonite,

There are some ideas on this thread that may help:

sole plate of iron (cleaning)

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • ammonite
    ammonite Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the info! and thanks to the posters on here I managed to heat it up and scrape it off using a piece of grease proof paper and the side of the ironing board. Seems to be doing fine if not a little stinky!!! Thanks for saving me!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bet there not a woman on here that hasn't done that at some point in her life I once completely ruined a very beautifully pleated dress shirt of my late OH by having the iron just that bit too hot I second that if in doubt iron it through a tea towel. I have an old terry towelling nappy that was my DDs from 40 years that I keep for this purpose the 3 or 4 others I use as very soft dusters.Theye were Harringtons best,and cost me £10.00 for a dozen back in 1967 and I still have a few left:)My DD thinks I will take them with me to my grave as I refuse to part with them.Still wash up brilliantly though
  • cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I bet there not a woman on here that hasn't done that at some point in her life I once completely ruined a very beautifully pleated dress shirt of my late OH by having the iron just that bit too hot I second that if in doubt iron it through a tea towel. I have an old terry towelling nappy that was my DDs from 40 years that I keep for this purpose the 3 or 4 others I use as very soft dusters.Theye were Harringtons best,and cost me £10.00 for a dozen back in 1967 and I still have a few left:)My DD thinks I will take them with me to my grave as I refuse to part with them.Still wash up brilliantly though

oh yes - i have done it more than once!:mad::mad:
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • Genuisscuffy
    Genuisscuffy Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    My boys have t shirts with plastic pictures of groups etc on them (they are teenagers who like heavy metal/bike groups!!) and I iron them inside out!!
    2010 has got to be better than the last two years!! :rotfl:

Weight loss to date: 3 Stone & 5lbs!! Weight loss this week: 2 lbs !!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family