We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

sole plate of iron (cleaning)

dont buy  a new iron
just  rub the sole plate with a mixture of vinegar and salt.
;D ;D ;D
«134567…21

Comments

  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    My mother taught me to rub a bar of soap over the plate while it's still warm, then to clean it off with a cloth.

    Works for me :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks to both of you. I was just about to ask this question!

    :D
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 #17 £1820.01 #18 £2021.83 declared
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    your right about the soap, I remember my gran doing it with the old flat iron!!! ;D
  • 16011996
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    my gran also swore by rubbing a bit of petrolium jelly round the steam holes to stop rust, then giving it a good wipe before ironing
  • MattieT
    MattieT Posts: 20 Forumite
    what's the best way to clean an iron sole plate please???
  • 16011996
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    whilst its just warm, rub with damp green scoury thing. (flat green ones.) works wonders.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi,

    I'm hoping someone can help, I purchased a new Hinari iron about 4 weeks ago. About a week ago I noticed what appeared to be a brown patch on the plate on the iron.

    When the iron is cold and I rub my finger on it, it doesn't feel as if anything is there and I have got a scourer and tried to scrub it and nothing happens.

    When the iron was hot this morning I could run my nail on it and it had gone quite soft but not sticky, I managed to scrape some off but when I got a normal wet dishcloth it didn't do any good. (I know it was a silly thing to do to touch a hot iron but I was slightly peeved this morning)

    In my house we only iron jeans and shirts for work so I'm sure it hasn't come off a transfer on a top.

    When I iron no marks appear on my clothes except when I do the cuffs and then it leaves a black mark which can be wiped but not all the mark disappears.

    Any ideas of how to get this mark off?

    Thanks
  • Hi EE,

    If you have a John Lewis store or similar close to you, you can buy an iron cleaning stick. It's about the size of a lipstick and you warm the iron up, (not hot though) and rub on the waxy stick which melts off the debris on the iron. It only costs a couple of pounds and make the iron like new. I've used mine a few times and I've still got plenty left.

    Good luck!

    DFS
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    A real "old fashioned" money saving manner of cleaning the iron plate is this:

    take a bar of soap and while the iron is hot (but turned off!) , rub it all over the iron plate. It will stink, but let it cool a bit - not all the way to cold - and then rub it with a cloth. A scourer risks scratching the iron plate and might then snag on other clothing in the future.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • MrsMondragon
    MrsMondragon Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    Put some salt on a thick piece of card. Heat the iron till very hot. Now rub the iron in the salt. That should removed the mark. Cheap and easy!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.