Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt. - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt.

edited 9 October 2015 at 12:36PM in Gone Off!
2.2K replies 2.6M views

Replies

• I had been buying ASDA grapefruit juice from the refrigerated section, because it seemed to be much much cheaper than the Tropicana version - even though the packaging was designed to look the same. Then I realised that unlike the Tropicana version it was made from reconstituted juice. So then I investigated the other grapefruit juice offerings in ASDA. There is a non refrigerated reconstitute packed in green with a picture on the front - approx 60p. Then there is a smartprice (black and white pack) version at around 45p. For all three the ingredients are exactly the same, and when I did a taste test, I could not differentiate between them. So I'm buying the cheap version.

I must admit I feel a little annoyed that ASDA (and I do like ASDA stuff) has copied the Tropicana packing and put an inferior product next to it on the shelves pretending to be of the same type, when it isn't however.

I suspect the same is true for the other flavours as well, but I haven't tried them.
  • I had been buying ASDA grapefruit juice from the refrigerated section, because it seemed to be much much cheaper than the Tropicana version - even though the packaging was designed to look the same. Then I realised that unlike the Tropicana version it was made from reconstituted juice. So then I investigated the other grapefruit juice offerings in ASDA. There is a non refrigerated reconstitute packed in green with a picture on the front - approx 60p. Then there is a smartprice (black and white pack) version at around 45p. For all three the ingredients are exactly the same, and when I did a taste test, I could not differentiate between them. So I'm buying the cheap version.

I must admit I feel a little annoyed that ASDA (and I do like ASDA stuff) has copied the Tropicana packing and put an inferior product next to it on the shelves pretending to be of the same type, when it isn't however.

I suspect the same is true for the other flavours as well, but I haven't tried them.
  • Many years ago I worked for a fairly large nationally owned bakery. The guy in charge of the bread slicing and wrapping machines had racks full of uncut loaves to be fed in. He also had a list of how many of each brand he had to 'produce'. All he did was keep changing the wrapping paper when the previous quota was completed! I've actually overheard ladies in shops comparing the quality of the different brands but I knew full well they were talking about exactly the same loaf!

Maybe there's a good deal of psychology in all this branding.

Personally I shop at Aldi where the quality is superb and the prices cheap - but there's no choice of brands, who cares? The combination of quality and good value must be right - and the shopping trip doesn't take as long. Money saving and time saving, what a delightful combination!
  • WizWiz Forumite
    6 posts
    When I was looking for a ride on mower, my local supplier had a sale selling Rally (American I think) mowers reduced from £1600 to £1200.

I eventually bought one (a Sovereign) from B&Q for £900, but saved another 10% on one of their discount days. Also they sent me £71 in `Spend and Save` vouchers.

And when the mower arrived, it was exactly the same mower - and even had a Rally maintenance manual!!!
  • Kellogg's do make cereals for others. Their Rice Krispies go into Nestle Toffee Crisp's. But you're right the don't sell there cereals as breakfast cereals to anyone else

Kelloggs UK don't make cereal for anyone else here, but Kelloggs elsewhere supply own brands cereals in the UK.
  • House of Fraisers Line of Linea clothing is made and designed by French Connection fr. I know this to be fact from previous projects with both companies when French Connection UK was re-branded to appeal to the younger generation with "fcuk".
    So, enjoy the better designed and classic designs of French connection, without the price tag.
  • Don't know if this has been posted before as I haven't read through all 7 pages but I know a lot of Marks and Spencer's produce is made by Heinze, especially the cakes and desserts in Cafe Revive, which are sold at £2 a slice!

• 123xyz123xyz Forumite
    436 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    On the subject of buscuits, value brands of for example, chocolate digestives, have half the weight watchers points of the branded ones. Ok, they are much smaller, but hey, a biscuit is a biscuit and I'd rather have two than one!
    Just off the border of your waking mind, there lies another time ....
  • There's a section in the book Fast Food Nation where the author visits a factory making artificial flavourings, and they also manufactured the scents for a number of top brand perfumes. The book is at my parents' house so I can't look up the brands mentionned, but it implied that pretty much all perfume is made this way.

I think the reason you can't get the copy perfume in this country is due to our stricter trademark laws. The same perfume you bought in Bulgaria may well be on sale in the UK, but it would breach D&G's trademark to mention their brand on the label. Incidentally I bought my g/f some CKone from a dollar store in the US last summer. Smells the same but not quite as strong as the real thing so she has to put a bit more on, but at $1 opposed to £20 I'm not complaining (though she wasn't very impressed with my money saving skills!!)
  • needmoneyneedmoney Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting Fatboy, I remember reading an article ages ago too about how it costs pennies to make perfume and the rest of the cost goes on , packaging, hype, advertising and keeping the brand a 'unique' sort of thing. I shall definitely be trying some copies now.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson